Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

thefakenews posted:

Are you involved in this game Golden Bee?

Unfortunately I have upcoming Sun/Monday/Tues game so Weds seems a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

looks like the WWWRPG designer is at the Gamicon Mangaverse convention 5 minutes downtown from my house today. gonna introduce my 1 yr old to some true nerd poo poo.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!
I remember e-fedding in the late 90s. Most of the people doing it were teenagers, with basically Steve Austin and Undertaker clones.

I remember my wrestlers:

Jackson Bludd: He was a heel, didn't care about titles, only cared about hurting people. Wore a jet black mask, heavily muscled body covered with scars. Did promos similar to Bray Wyatt, in a dark room with a single lightbub hanging from a wire. Once he got the title, he never wore it, and instead dragged it behind him on his way to the ring.

Green Machine and Drake Tungsten: My tag team were faces. Green Machine was an over enthusiastic high-flying luchadore who loved kids, did an over the top Hulk Hogan early 80s style of promo, with Owen Hart's enthusiasm as The Blue Blazer. Drake was a lunkhead who only spoke in single words, and did everything the Machine told him to do.

I remember getting back into e-fedding in the early 2000s and came up with a character, a charismatic heel, similar to Shawn Michaels. Handsome and chiseled from constant workouts, did promos from his mansion overlooking a mountain lake, talked about how great he was in the ring and how everyone could be like him if they just put their mind to it.

Those were fun times!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Bray Wyatt is pretty much an e-fed character.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

super macho dude posted:

looks like the WWWRPG designer is at the Gamicon Mangaverse convention 5 minutes downtown from my house today. gonna introduce my 1 yr old to some true nerd poo poo.

How was it? What happened in the game?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

super macho dude posted:

Bray Wyatt is pretty much an e-fed character.

Randy Orton is an e-fed character come to life.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I used to love efedding. I used to do pretty well before running out of role play ideas. I used to be doing 3,000 word role plays that no one would read whilst I was at university. Christ.

Some feds I was in are still going. Sometimes I think about going back but then I remember I just turned 29.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

How was it? What happened in the game?

I didn't have any time to sit in for a game, but I did pick up a print copy of it. GAMICON is pretty sweet and if anyone lives in the midwest and is a giant tabletop gaming nerd, check it out next year.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

britishbornandbread posted:

I used to love efedding. I used to do pretty well before running out of role play ideas. I used to be doing 3,000 word role plays that no one would read whilst I was at university. Christ.

Some feds I was in are still going. Sometimes I think about going back but then I remember I just turned 29.

I'm pretty sure you're me. And I'm so sorry.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sometimes I think about going back but then I remember I just turned 29.

That's super weird because I still associate you with that picture from when you were like 8.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Nothing is worse than that late night feeling when you stumble upon an old RP saved deep in your files and you read it and nostalgia hits and you think of making a comeback run, despite your age. Then...it hits...

I wish e-feds had a impact testing because a lot of fedders because very broken from losing.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Howling Man posted:

I wish e-feds had a impact testing because a lot of fedders because very broken from losing.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

It's fake wrestling on the internet. It doesn't really matter.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If efeds were real it'd make millionaires of anyone who sells leather vests.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

rotinaj posted:

I'm pretty sure you're me. And I'm so sorry.

Apology accepted.

From age 13 to about 16 I was opening an efed every summer and lasting two months before boredom kicked in. Good times! I miss 101 Wrestling.

What was the most widely known fed? FWO with the poser characters was great, amazing layout.

Supreme Championship Wrestling where my creation ended up US Champion is still going eight years after I left there. It's a weird form of dedication. There cant be too many active and well ran efeds left can there?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Howling Man posted:

Nothing is worse than that late night feeling when you stumble upon an old RP saved deep in your files and you read it and nostalgia hits and you think of making a comeback run, despite your age. Then...it hits...

I like to think of myself as a decent, mature human being but I've walked out of feds having lost my debut and feeling like I pissed all over my opponent far too often.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I once witnessed someone who went on to have a fairly good run on the indy scene corner a promoter who wouldn't give him mic time because he didn't think he could cut a promo while holding a print out of his E-Fed posts to prove he could. The same person also tried to explain E-Feds to an utterly confused and very high Jake Roberts on a completely unrelated occasion.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Irl cringing.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skinty McEdger posted:

I once witnessed someone who went on to have a fairly good run on the indy scene corner a promoter who wouldn't give him mic time because he didn't think he could cut a promo while holding a print out of his E-Fed posts to prove he could. The same person also tried to explain E-Feds to an utterly confused and very high Jake Roberts on a completely unrelated occasion.

Davey Richards was an efedder? :monocle:

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

drat, RoughKut is gone. My 20s are disappearing with every passing day.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
There aren't many of the old efeds still open. I know for a fact the WfWA shut down, I suspect the NeWA(zomg the only efed sanctioned by the NWA) is gone. I know that High Octane Wrestling is still around, but there's some weird cult of personality around the owner, Lee Best. And there's some stuff at Fwrestling.

I was always amused by how two different efedders could go years without ever hearing about the different circles people ran in. I also liked how different groups of folk always had totally different stereotypes about different groups. This group is all poo poo writers, that group is a cinch of vampire mafia writers, etc.

Apparently Twitter is the new place for an infinite number of lovely efedders.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Amusingly, my best friend from school who I was also in a band with was an efedder. We had an awkward conversation one day on MSN Messenger after we discovered we both liked wrestling where he asked me if I partook in the hobby. I can only imagine it's a similar awkwardness when two paedophiles meet. We joined one or two feds together in our time, never really having a run against one another. He was an English literature studdent at University and was a half decent writer, I enjoyed his work, and I was a flowery fucker when it came to my roleplays. He once joined a fed and no showed, but managed to win his debut against his opponent who did the same because his pic base was Robert Plant and the owner was a mark for Led Zep. Good times.

You're totally right about the circles - I joined SCW's development fed in around mid 2007, and that scene is still going to this day. My character's name is still in the title history page, a constant reminder of my favourite waste of time.

I remember coming back to the hobby in around 2011 and everything had changed - feds were no longer based on websites anymore, probably due to scarcity of reliable, free hosting, and were now based on forums. This always annoyed me because I loved seeing a well designed website. And things like ewrestler's twitter pages had become A Thing, as had podcasts. I appeared on one fed's podcast one show, and many complained on the OOC board that my British accent was difficult to understand. Brilliant!

God, I remember being 12 years old in 1999 and joining my first one. Linked from s fortune city java chat room, hosted on 321website.com with an Inside The Web roleplay board. A simpler time, a better time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

feds were no longer based on websites anymore, probably due to scarcity of reliable, free hosting, and were now based on forums. This always annoyed me because I loved seeing a well designed website.

By "well designed" you mean "crammed to the gills with gifs" right? If so then my e-fedding pages were the best.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

triplexpac posted:

By "well designed" you mean "crammed to the gills with gifs" right? If so then my e-fedding pages were the best.

By that I mean the background was a chainlink fence .gif that didn't scroll down with the rest of the webpage, and explosion gifs around the fed's MS Paint logo.

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
I had off and on stints with efeds since high school in the late 90's to like...early 2015. They rule.

I give the latest place I was at - XHW (https://xhwarena.proboards.com) - a solid recommend. They've been running for like over 10 years now.

UpfrontSalmon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 3, 2016

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I was in FWO back in the day and that was a really cool/somewhat professional experience, plus the designs were always really top notch. I don't even know what feds even exist anymore.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
There was a point where there was an Official TNA eFed. It was born on a prior incarnation of TNA's official fan forums.

It allowed both "canon" wrestlers (i.e. wrestlers who really existed) as long as they weren't employed by WWE, and non-canon wrestlers, which made things a little weird as you'd have guys like Chris Daniels and Abyss and Raven alongside made-up guys.

It eventually left the TNA fan forums just before the forums were nuked and re-started by TNA, limped along for a few years (and underwent a namechange) before finally dying.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jay 2K Winger posted:

There was a point where there was an Official TNA eFed. It was born on a prior incarnation of TNA's official fan forums.

It allowed both "canon" wrestlers (i.e. wrestlers who really existed) as long as they weren't employed by WWE, and non-canon wrestlers, which made things a little weird as you'd have guys like Chris Daniels and Abyss and Raven alongside made-up guys.

It eventually left the TNA fan forums just before the forums were nuked and re-started by TNA, limped along for a few years (and underwent a namechange) before finally dying.

Did it have a guy named Justin Sane?

Who'm I kidding, EVERY e-fed had a guy named Justin Sane

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I swear when I first joined the forums the Punchsport Pagoda had a rule saying "No cutting promos for your E-Fed in the forums" or something.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LordPants posted:

I swear when I first joined the forums the Punchsport Pagoda had a rule saying "No cutting promos for your E-Fed in the forums" or something.

It did, but it was also just to prevent people from cutting promoes on one another

And then there was a Wrestlehut 2000 e-fed which went off the forums after recruitment. That soured things for people for a while because it was really dumb, and the rule got really harsh. We wouldn't be allowed to have this thread if this was the bad old days, because nobody wanted word one about e-feds since they're dumb and awful. But I think some reflection on a silly hobby back in the day is alright.

I have run a D&D game where I had the players do a wrestling type gladiatorial thing once. It went okay. I also played Vince McMahon as a fleshcrafting necromancer in search of making his own Rocky Horror-type muscleman in a D&D game that puttered out after a bit. It's a lot of fun to try to play Vince accurately. Lots of power struts and shouting.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Yeh, this forum has definitely had the no efed vibe about it. Which is fine. But as the poster above says it's nice to reflect on what was a fun time killer.

Now, explaining the hobby to new partners, that was fun.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Man, this brings me back. A long, long time. I can't be the only goon who was involved with the National Wrestling Council conglomeration of e-feds, can I? I lost all my good words to that place. Lots of bad words too. So many drat words.

Still, I've found I can still get most of what I enjoyed from e-feds from WWW, even if I need to dig for another game here soon.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Yeh, this forum has definitely had the no efed vibe about it.

I dunno, have you seen The Game Room subforum?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I never participated in any E-feds, but I did run several sessions of WWWRPG for my friends. The most popular character, both for the audience and the players, was this huge gigantic man called Ilija, the Magnificent Udmurt, from Udmurtia, Russia. Ilija's player played the character as having no creative control on his character and being in a constant flux, starting out as a big Russian, then transforming into a Mongol, then a grateful immigrant and fan of America, then something resembling an actual person from Udmurtia, before finally joining the nWo.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

sticklefifer posted:

I dunno, have you seen The Game Room subforum?

Sorry, I meant WH2K/PSP specifically.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

rotinaj posted:

Did it have a guy named Justin Sane?

Who'm I kidding, EVERY e-fed had a guy named Justin Sane

original idea, pls don't steal

also check out my awesome poser model of him as a huge muscley dude with a tiny baby head, wearing baggy jean shorts, a black leather vest, and one fingerless glove.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Close all efeds with an X in their acronym IMO

UpfrontSalmon
Nov 4, 2011

I prefer the term "Battle FROG."
to be fair

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

super macho dude posted:

original idea, pls don't steal

also check out my awesome poser model of him as a huge muscley dude with a tiny baby head, wearing baggy jean shorts, a black leather vest, and one fingerless glove.

With tribal tattooes and a mask when he enters the ring. His finishers are the Diamond Cutter(the Genocide Killer), the Tombstone(the killing kill), the Burning Hammer(kill you to death) and his big match finisher is the jumping Tombstone off the middle rope, not the top because that's too much.

Also his biggest weakness is that sometimes he forgets he's not always in a Hardcore match and will get himself dqed for being too extreme.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm beginning to think there's a lot of overlap between e-feds and the goofy backyard poo poo my friends and I used to do back in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm beginning to think there's a lot of overlap between e-feds and the goofy backyard poo poo my friends and I used to do back in high school.

Efedders were the backyard dumbasses who didn't want to get an owie.

• Locked thread