Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

quote:

Devil Daggers is a fast-paced shooter that places you in an abyssal arena to face endless legions of demons. Armed with versatile magic daggers and a fluid movement system, fight to survive as long as you can.

You ever wish Quake had an arena mode? This is about as close as you'll get. Devil Daggers pits you against waves of skulls, horned skulls, spider skulls, skull serpents, and other skull-based horrors in a quest to see how long you can hold out. Your only weapons are the eponymous Devil Daggers, which you can shoot in a rapid stream or blast out in shotgun-like bursts (and maybe another way if you live long enough...). Your best time is posted to a global leaderboard, along with a full replay for the world to watch and laugh at.

There's no story mode or multiplayer, just you versus endless eldritch abominations in a test of skill, endurance, and strategy. Some enemies drop gems that can power up your weapons if you collect enough, but you have to stop shooting to grab them and there are enemies that would love to gobble them up. The game is lovingly rendered in chunky software 3D to give it that extra Quake 1 feel, and there's even rocket jumping if you get good with the shotgun blast. You'll probably last a good 30-45 seconds the first few times you play, but the current leaders are fighting it out around the 8-minute mark.

Store Page
Pick it up right now for a mere $5 and get murdered by skulls over and over!

Goon Group
Join up so we can all add each other and fight over who can not get murdered by skulls the longest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Random tips:

-Tab enables the timer. You can use it to see when stuff is about to spawn. For example: the first infester always spawns at 39 seconds and the first eviscerator always spawns at 115 seconds. Knowing how much time you have left before another wave of stuff spawns is really helpful.
-Getting every crystal that drops before the 200 second mark is extremely important as the game becomes basically impossible if you don't have lvl 3 daggers by then.
-You can often kill everything that spawns out of a purger (the small spawner) by aiming in the middle at the bottom of the tentacles. You can kill some of the stuff that comes out of sacrificers (the big spawners) the same way but since the opening the minions come from is larger it's a lot less consistent.
-Spamming jumps lets you move faster.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Don't hold down the trigger. If you're not shooting, the power up crystals will hover over to you. If you're shooting the whole time you won't be getting the crystals you need and will quickly fall behind.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The guy with the #2 score is currently live, trying for #1.
http://www.twitch.tv/draqu_

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Prioritize killing the giant spider. It steals crystals, and usually spawns right around when you have 8 or 9 just to gently caress with you and prevent you from getting the first upgrade.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

plape tickler posted:

The guy with the #2 score is currently live, trying for #1.
http://www.twitch.tv/draqu_

No one has broken into Infernal ranking yet, just gold.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bilal posted:

Prioritize killing the giant spider. It steals crystals, and usually spawns right around when you have 8 or 9 just to gently caress with you and prevent you from getting the first upgrade.

Is that the enemy with a skull or the other enemy with a skull?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Node posted:

Is that the enemy with a skull or the other enemy with a skull?

It definitely has a skull- the skull enemies are the worst ones in this game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bilal posted:

It definitely has a skull- the skull enemies are the worst ones in this game.

I'm such a bonehead.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I haven't played this game yet, but it looks quite AGITATING!

Is this really software rendered, or is the light banding and whatnot done through shaders or something?

Reive
May 21, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I haven't played this game yet, but it looks quite AGITATING!

Is this really software rendered, or is the light banding and whatnot done through shaders or something?

I was reading some of the creators older reddit comments, it seems like it's a combination of a bunch of things, here's a thread on it: https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/3tg2yk/how_to_create_devil_daggers_art_style/

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This is a really fun game. I'm pretty bad at it but it's good as heck

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game is definitely :krad:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

devil daggers is a good game if you like killing skulls

i love to kill skulls

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
This game has got me moving my actual dumb body to try to avoid danger, which is always the sign of a good FPS.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
gently caress you skulls

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?

the skulls

the skulls are laughing now

:smith:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So this game is going to have Vive support right?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i think the best way to describe this game is quake plus geometry wars.

it has absolutely spectacular sound design too, like god drat. the sawblades :ohdear:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've only been using a touchpad and I've made it to 77 seconds so anything is possible, believe in yourself.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 21, 2016

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
This might be one of the hardest games I've ever played - in a good way! Easily worth five bucks on steam.

It also sounds close to what I think hell would sound like.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
i only play while listening to this

https://soundcloud.com/alvin-thechipmunkson16sp/sets/sludgefest

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I only play the Jet Set Radio Future OST which I find improves my times immensely.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've only played while listening to rap albums or Doom music and I've found rap music works much better.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've only played with no music, because sound is my soliton radar.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I listen to J-Pop and I got a time of 999.999 seconds.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I've only played while listening to rap albums or Doom music and I've found rap music works much better.

I do the same with Planetside 2 and I find noise rap improves my gameplay

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I actually might pick this up since it's just a fiver. It's giving me some Skulltag Survival vibes. Specifically, it's reminding me of this one mode that had gimmick'd maps and you just killed a lot of things, including some pretty creepy spider things in the dark.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I can't get much above three minutes, what about you guys, what times have ya'll been getting?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I can't get much above three minutes, what about you guys, what times have ya'll been getting?

On a standard run I will get to about 1-2 minutes and my all time high is 3 minutes.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i just hit 3.2 minutes (193.7 secs) which was 50 seconds better than my previous best

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
The best I've done so far is 102 seconds. Managing the spawners and clouds of skulls is really important, I can deal with everything up to the first skull-spider reliably, but after that sometimes I just get overwhelmed.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I was really proud of the moment I hit 93 seconds, I can't really imagine how to break through the 100 mark. That moment when a double spawner, a spider and aggros skulls all show up at once is insane.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The only thing that gets me with any regularity are those laughing skulls with the spiky horns from the larger spawners. If you lose track of them they're guaranteed to get you.

I feel like the most important thing is learning to kill the spiders asap. The skull swarms are manageable (especially after your first upgrade) but when a spider shows up you have to kill it immediately, and their weak point is hard to hit if you're any distance from them.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i've never seen these in any replays :stare:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Feeling like a major chump here, I'm only at 93 seconds, but being in the top 1/4th of all players feels pretty good. All of my runs earlier today were garbage so I decided to cool off for a bit. I've gotten pretty good at killing the spider and securing the first upgrade ASAP but if I miss the spider on my first pass, I will almost assuredly gently caress up kiting the skulls and get blindsided.

ShadowMar posted:

i've never seen these in any replays :stare:

well this fucker seems really cool

tips
Feb 16, 2011

200 secs here, which means I get to use the third dagger upgrade for about 5 seconds before I get wrecked by all the giant spiders that warp in.

Basically gently caress spiders.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
this game is so utterly perfect, and i'm so utterly terrible at it. holy poo poo.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Bilal posted:

Don't hold down the trigger. If you're not shooting, the power up crystals will hover over to you. If you're shooting the whole time you won't be getting the crystals you need and will quickly fall behind.

This is a hot tip. It improved my play so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
This game is really good and addictive. I was worried it would get a little stale since you're just on a featureless dinner plate, but you're worried about so much other stuff that you don't even notice. My best run is a fraction of second shy of 2:30, but most of them end up being half that or less. Game is hard. And full of skulls.

• Locked thread