Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DaveSauce posted:

OK, so first, you're proving my point in that there's a criminal case where the homeowner was thrown in prison for murdering a 16-year-old kid who, while trespassing with intent to commit burglary, posed no threat.

Second, the lawsuit portion was dropped because the idiot wasn't injured as bad as he claimed. But even so, anybody can sue anybody for anything, and you can always find a lawyer willing to take your case no matter how baseless it is. That doesn't mean the case has merit.

This "THIEF GOT SHOT AND SUED THE VICTIM!!!!" bullshit is no different from the "LADY POURS HOT COFFEE ON HER LAP AND SUES MACDONALDS!!!" It's overblown knee-jerk idiocy that either ignores the real merit of the case, or ignores the result of frivolous lawsuits (which is overwhelmingly that the case goes nowhere).

edit:

Nothing says "self defense" like shooting someone in the back.

I actually remember a case from way back when I was in high school where a dude did break into someone's house and ended up suing. The guy whose house got broken into had it happen several times, so he rigged up a shotgun in front of a window and when the dude broke in he got hit and wounded.

If I recall, the homeowner setting up a booby trap was not acting as "a reasonable and prudent individual" and the perp was able to sue for damages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Plus, a lot of people actually want $20 fake Oakley sunglasses and know what they are buying.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

MightyJoe36 posted:

I actually remember a case from way back when I was in high school where a dude did break into someone's house and ended up suing. The guy whose house got broken into had it happen several times, so he rigged up a shotgun in front of a window and when the dude broke in he got hit and wounded.

If I recall, the homeowner setting up a booby trap was not acting as "a reasonable and prudent individual" and the perp was able to sue for damages.

Yeah... booby traps are extraordinarily illegal in every circumstance. Dude's probably rotting in prison right now.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone who uses this as part of a so-called reasoned argument is welcome to look up the photos of her injuries. Enjoy that experience.

:stonk: I've read the most basic description, and have a kneejerk response to describe it to people when they bring up that case as an example of a frivolous lawsuit, but I've never looked up photos. And I am not going to. Yeesh.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You Tube led me to this guy named James Veitch who I haven't seen mentioned yet here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dceyy0cX6J4

He seems to have turned loving around with scammers, spammers and thieves into a sort of stand up routine which, tbh, sounds like a lot of fun. I've pretended to be a frightened old man or a confused crazy person on a few occasions when I've gotten fake scam calls.

Serious question, what's the most reliable app or setting or whatever to block some of these people on your phone? I keep hearing about congress being "gravely concerned" about spam calls but why can't they just legit make it so that you can actually block and actual number? What if it was a stalker or someone threatening you? I can't imagine it'd be hard to make it a real thing.

I've mostly worked it out with email but unfortunately, if you're on a job/career website anywhere at all I promise you that you will get correspondence asking you to be in sales. Which is amazing because I have a fine arts degree and NOTHING whatsoever in my skill set or resume suggests I'd be a good salesperson.

They're all MLM bullshit, direct retail or those weird insurance selling pyramids. Maybe one day when I get bored I'll gently caress with one of them but, man, I really hate how the internet has opened the floodgates for just the lowest common denominator of greed and shittyness.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

You Tube led me to this guy named James Veitch who I haven't seen mentioned yet here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dceyy0cX6J4

He seems to have turned loving around with scammers, spammers and thieves into a sort of stand up routine which, tbh, sounds like a lot of fun. I've pretended to be a frightened old man or a confused crazy person on a few occasions when I've gotten fake scam calls.

Serious question, what's the most reliable app or setting or whatever to block some of these people on your phone? I keep hearing about congress being "gravely concerned" about spam calls but why can't they just legit make it so that you can actually block and actual number? What if it was a stalker or someone threatening you? I can't imagine it'd be hard to make it a real thing.

I've mostly worked it out with email but unfortunately, if you're on a job/career website anywhere at all I promise you that you will get correspondence asking you to be in sales. Which is amazing because I have a fine arts degree and NOTHING whatsoever in my skill set or resume suggests I'd be a good salesperson.

They're all MLM bullshit, direct retail or those weird insurance selling pyramids. Maybe one day when I get bored I'll gently caress with one of them but, man, I really hate how the internet has opened the floodgates for just the lowest common denominator of greed and shittyness.

Blocking numbers is pointless because the caller ID is all fake. The appropriate pressure point is fixing the laughable ease of spoofing caller ID but telcos don't want to because come on, the scammers are the only people making calls anymore.

If you've got an android you can whitelist by leaving Do Not Disturb mode on with an exception set for your contact list. This won't reject the calls but will mute the ringer.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 14, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Major US Telcos are actually finally moving on getting verification, they just haven't taken the necessary step of cutting off overseas telcos who don't abide by the verification standards

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vavrek posted:

:stonk: I've read the most basic description, and have a kneejerk response to describe it to people when they bring up that case as an example of a frivolous lawsuit, but I've never looked up photos. And I am not going to. Yeesh.
The mcdonalds was keeping their coffee illegally hot and had previous complaints about that, too

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Zereth posted:

The mcdonalds was keeping their coffee illegally hot and had previous complaints about that, too

Yeah, it had to do with being able to use less grounds and save money or something.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Yesterday I got a phone call (sent to voice mail) with a robotic computer generated voice. Said they were “US Social Security” and that they “had to disable [my] social security number because a fraud was detected.” If I just pressed one, I could “disable the fraud and speak to agents to fix the number.”

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
We keep getting Windows refund department calls at work, at least twice a day.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Blocking numbers is pointless because the caller ID is all fake. The appropriate pressure point is fixing the laughable ease of spoofing caller ID but telcos don't want to because come on, the scammers are the only people making calls anymore.

If you've got an android you can whitelist by leaving Do Not Disturb mode on with an exception set for your contact list. This won't reject the calls but will mute the ringer.

There actually is legality in place that can get rid of all call spoofing. Its just old and a little backwards and not everyone knows it. IIRC Trapcall (the phone app) makes use of it.

Basically 1800 numbers have the right to see the real number all the time because they're paying for the service, and are thus immune to all call spoofs forever.

so when you pay for trapcall, you're basically paying for an 1800 number forwarding service subscription.

Someone with actual know how and a digital phone system could probably make the same setup fairly easily.

Edit: detailed here. https://www.wired.com/2009/02/trapcall/

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 15, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thats just caller id blocking. Scammers are spoofing it, and a common scam is a scummy phone company allowing people to make tons of spoof calls through their service to 1800 numbers. Since each phone company involved in the chain gets a cut, they split the scambucks.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My boss got a long email in English, spoofed to look like it was from the office email address. Hackers stole our passwords and recorded us jerking off to adult videos!!!
It's the isp provided address. For a Buddhist kindergarten, in Japan.

I translated the best parts of the email and we all lolled.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan

quote:

Please be reminded that NONE of the tickets purchased via the following Websites shall be deemed valid or usable under any circumstances.

● Viagogo: https://www.viagogo.com/

● StubHub: https://intl.stubhub.com/

● SeatGeek: https://seatgeek.com/

● LiveRugbyTickets.co.uk: https://www.liverugbytickets.co.uk/

● Rugby Ticket Service: https://www.rugbyticketservice.com/

Please note that the Websites cited above by no means represent an exhaustive list.

ViaGoGo is still aggressively advertising on Facebook. :/

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

peanut posted:

My boss got a long email in English, spoofed to look like it was from the office email address. Hackers stole our passwords and recorded us jerking off to adult videos!!!
It's the isp provided address. For a Buddhist kindergarten, in Japan.

I translated the best parts of the email and we all lolled.

No joke, we got the exact same emails at my work. Except they were in Japanese. Spoofed to look like they were coming from a Bay Area public transit agency.

Maybe they mixed our emails up. :v:

e: Here's what we got (with emails redacted):

quote:

Subject: ハッキングされています! すぐにパスワードを変更してください!

Body:

こんにちは!

私はあなたに悪い知らせがあります。
2018年6月28日 - この日、私はあなたのオペレーティングシステムをハッキングし、あなたのアカウント(redacted)にフルアクセスできました。

それはどうだった:
その日接続していたルータのソフトウェアには、脆弱性が存在しました。
私は最初にこのルータをハックし、その上に悪質なコードを置いた。
インターネットに接続すると、私のトロイの木馬はあなたのデバイスのオペレーティングシステムにインストールされました。

その後、私はあなたのディスクの完全なデータを保存しました(私はすべてあなたのアドレス帳、サイトの閲覧履歴、すべてのファイル、電話番号、あなたのすべての連絡先のアドレス)を持っています。

あなたのデバイスをロックしたかったのです。ロックを解除するために、私はお金がほしいと思った。
しかし、私はあなたが定期的に訪れるサイトを見ました, そしてあなたのお気に入りのリソースから大きなショックを受けました。
私は大人のためのサイトについて話しています。

私は言う - あなたは大きな変態です。 無限のファンタジー!

その後、アイデアが私の頭に浮かんだ。
私はあなたが楽しんでいる親密なウェブサイトのスクリーンショットを作った (私はあなたの喜びについて話しています、あなたは理解していますか?).
その後、私はあなたの喜びの写真を作った (あなたのデバイスのカメラを使って). すべてが素晴らしくなった!

あなたの親戚、友人、同僚にこの写真を見せたくないと強く信じています。
私は$828が私の沈黙のために非常に小さいと思う。
それに、私はあなたに多くの時間を費やしました!

私はBitcoinsだけを受け入れる。
私のBTCウォレット: 1DAqDrtZ1XzwKtXPMHf41WXv6QT62uttxK

Bitcoinウォレットを補充する方法がわからないのですか?
どの検索エンジンでも、「btc walletにお金を送る方法」と書いてください。
クレジットカードに送金するよりも簡単です!

お支払いの場合は、ちょうど2日以上(正確には50時間)をご提供します。
心配しないで、タイマーはこの手紙を開いた瞬間に始まります。はい、はい。それはすでに始まっています!

支払い後、私のウイルスと汚れた写真は自動的に自己破壊されます。
私はあなたから指定された金額を受け取っていない場合、あなたのデバイスはブロックされ、あなたのすべての連絡先は、あなたの "喜び"と写真を受信します。

私はあなたが賢明であることを望みます。
- 私のウイルスを見つけて破壊しようとしないでください! (すべてのデータはすでにリモートサーバーにアップロードされています) - 私に連絡しようとしないでください(これは実現可能ではありません、私はあなたのアカウントからメールを送りました)
- 様々なセキュリティサービスはあなたを助けません。 あなたのデータは既にリモートサーバー上にあるので、ディスクのフォーマットやデバイスの破壊は役に立ちません。

P.S. 私は支払い後にあなたに再び邪魔をしないことを保証します。
これはハッカーの名誉のコードです。

これからは、良いアンチウィルスを使用し、定期的に更新することをお勧めします(1日に数回)!

私に怒らないでください、誰もが自分の仕事をしています。
お別れ。

Sydin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 16, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

peanut posted:

Rugby World Cup 2019 Japan

ViaGoGo is still aggressively advertising on Facebook. :/

How are they going to know? You can list on third party sites just by Section and Row number, they can’t just cancel every seat on the row to guarantee they get the resold one.

Like, I appreciate the effort to try and stop price gauging but I can’t see that working.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The longer I live the more I realize hat probably 90% of any communication I engage is a scam.

"gently caress you motherfucker for wasting my time when I am trying to steal your money, you mother fucker"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I added a server side rule to just flat out delete anything with a SpamAssassin mark of 5 so it doesn’t even hit my local inbox, and not even 24 hours later I’m loving this decision. My primary email account was just getting hit dozens of times a day by obviously the same company for so long, even seeing it in the spam folder was driving me mad.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sydin posted:

No joke, we got the exact same emails at my work. Except they were in Japanese. Spoofed to look like they were coming from a Bay Area public transit agency.

Maybe they mixed our emails up. :v:

e: Here's what we got (with emails redacted):

Omg that email sucks lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So what's the scam with the constant "Trouble with the IRS? Call us" sorts of ads?

Only thing I can figure is that they charge unsuspecting/lazy/ignorant people to visit the IRS website and work out a payment plan that the customer could have just as easily done themselves.

I would up owing the IRS some money I didn't have after my divorce and applying for a payment plan online was remarkably easy. Getting those fuckers on the phone was a pill and an entirely different matter but what are these "Settle your IRS debt" companies selling exactly?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

So what's the scam with the constant "Trouble with the IRS? Call us" sorts of ads?

Only thing I can figure is that they charge unsuspecting/lazy/ignorant people to visit the IRS website and work out a payment plan that the customer could have just as easily done themselves.

I would up owing the IRS some money I didn't have after my divorce and applying for a payment plan online was remarkably easy. Getting those fuckers on the phone was a pill and an entirely different matter but what are these "Settle your IRS debt" companies selling exactly?

You pretty much have it. They work as a middle man for a monthly payment plan. Except you pay them and then they pay the IRS on your behalf. Except they get a fee on top. So instead of paying $500/month, you pay $650/month with the company pocketing the difference.

They count on the fact that most people are confused and scared by the bureaucracy of the IRS and present themselves as a professional service that can smooth out the experience. They’re counting on people not realizing the experience is already a pretty straightforward thing.

E: I no grammar today

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 22, 2019

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Proteus Jones posted:

You pretty much have it. They work as a middle man for a monthly payment plan. Except you pay them and then they pay the IRS on your behalf. Except they get a fee on top. So instead of paying $500/month, you pay $650/month with the company pocketing the difference.

They count on the fact that most people are confused and scared by the bureaucracy of the IRS and present themselves as a professional service that can smooth out the experience. They’re counting on people not realizing the experience is already a pretty straightforward thing.

The IRS, sadly, doesn’t do themselves a lot of favors on this front. If they just opened with “You owe us $XXXX. We know this was probably a mistake, so we’d like to offer a zero-penalty payment plan of $YYY/month for ZZ months,” it’d probably kill the IRS scam industry. Instead, it’s written to be about as daunting as possible.

This could also be resolved by loosening the tax prep industry’s chokehold on Congress and just letting the IRS autoprepare a 1040 based on the records they already have, and asking people to make changes if they want to itemize deductions, contest things, etc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

The IRS, sadly, doesn’t do themselves a lot of favors on this front. If they just opened with “You owe us $XXXX. We know this was probably a mistake, so we’d like to offer a zero-penalty payment plan of $YYY/month for ZZ months,” it’d probably kill the IRS scam industry. Instead, it’s written to be about as daunting as possible.

This could also be resolved by loosening the tax prep industry’s chokehold on Congress and just letting the IRS autoprepare a 1040 based on the records they already have, and asking people to make changes if they want to itemize deductions, contest things, etc.

Absolutely. Simplifying the tax code and getting rid of H&R Block and all these "tax preparers" who essentially do noting more than run Turbo Tax and who aren't held accountable if you get audited or something gets hosed up is just infuriating.

Still weird though because if you go the IRS website and submit a payment plan it's quite manageable from my experience and hardly took any time at all. They'll basically accept any offer you make in my experience.

I'm doing some graphics installations for a company that supposedly offers help for people with bad credit attempting to buy cars. Near as I can tell, all they do is fill out the paperwork and shop for banks or dealerships willing to take a risk at 20-25%. . I install their wall and window graphics and overhear they're salespeople on the phone and it all just sounds like someone applying for a loan.

It's probably all stuff the person who needs a car could do themselves but they're either too scared, too ignorant or maybe even too poor to afford a computer and work 15 hour shifts at 7-11 and can't do the back and forth.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
The one time I owed money on my federal, it was ridiculously easy to set up by myself. Tax preparers have us scared into thinking that the average person's income tax and everything related to it is this scary enigma that can't be cracked unless you buy their software for $40.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
I briefly worked at a Liberty Tax office that was charging people upwards of $200 to file simple returns that the customer could have done for free online.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I've been doing my own taxes since I started working and I am still amazed by the number of people who are in awe of the fact that I do my own taxes.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lol if you live in a country where, as an ordinary person working as a full time employee of a company, you have to do any kind of tax filing at all.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I've just received an email from Spotify telling me that I need to reset my password because there has been 'suspicious activity' on my account.

I don't have a password for Spotify because I use Facebook OAuth for it.

The email looks completely legit, the headers in the email look correct, and the Reset Password link appears to direct to spotify.com (I haven't clicked it). I'm 99.9% sure it's not a phishing attempt but I can't figure out why they ever would have sent this email.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

"Suspicious Activity" is code for "we've had a data breach, and we're going to blame the end user for being sloppy rather than admit to our mistakes".

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I got the Spotify email and when I went to log in to Spotify it said you need to change your password, so it seemed fairly legit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Proteus Jones posted:

It also tends to run on traditional radio which is mostly listened to by older people these days. They remember the days when the IRS was much nastier and would in fact come after people for money they couldn't afford to lose. One of the reasons the IRS is less of a dick these days is because they realized that people who don't loving hate you are way more cooperative. You basically have to actively try to piss them off or actively dodge your taxes to get them angry enough to actually be lovely. Most people you can basically just call them and talk to them and work something out. They'll work with you so long as you aren't trying to not pay your taxes. Sometimes they'll even negotiate the debt down.

This is part of why the adverts talk about getting the total down and why you have people saying "I owed like $200,000 but they negotiated it down to like $60,000! They threatened to take my house!" except that anybody who ends up in that situation was probably doing something wrong that Joe Average wouldn't have done in the first place. Yes, the IRS can garnish your wages and seize your assets but they'd very much prefer not to and if you're not a dick about your taxes they won't even consider it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The hell kind of nefarious suspicious activity can you get up to on loving Spotify?

No doubt they hosed up and some cc#'s leaked or some poo poo

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

The hell kind of nefarious suspicious activity can you get up to on loving Spotify?

I'm pretty sure my account was compromised too; I logged in after not using it for a few weeks to find a ton (a TON) of songs on my recently played that I'd never listened to, and then the next time I logged in songs were being added as I was not listening.

I was tempted to let it be, if you have to steal someone else's Spotify account you must be really poor. But it was loving up my history and recommendations so I logged out of all devices, removed synced devices (there were more smartphones listed than I've ever had), reset my password, and it's been fine since then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BiggerBoat posted:

Probably noticing wild IP addresses that aren't connected to the user, people constantly reselling stolen accounts so there's definitely reasons to crack users.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BiggerBoat posted:

The point of hacking accounts on Spotify or Netflix or whatever is to then turn around and try that username and password and variations of both on other sites, connecting one account with another until they can put together enough info to compromise a primary email or bank account.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sanford posted:

I got the Spotify email and when I went to log in to Spotify it said you need to change your password, so it seemed fairly legit.

Yeah like I said it all seemed legit, just weird since I use OAuth and not a normal Spotify login

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I'm pretty sure my account was compromised too; I logged in after not using it for a few weeks to find a ton (a TON) of songs on my recently played that I'd never listened to, and then the next time I logged in songs were being added as I was not listening.

I was tempted to let it be, if you have to steal someone else's Spotify account you must be really poor. But it was loving up my history and recommendations so I logged out of all devices, removed synced devices (there were more smartphones listed than I've ever had), reset my password, and it's been fine since then.

Same thing happened to me. It was logged in to a computer and an Android phone in Columbia, while I live in New York.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The point of hacking accounts on Spotify or Netflix or whatever is to then turn around and try that username and password and variations of both on other sites, connecting one account with another until they can put together enough info to compromise a primary email or bank account.

Yeah, I didn't even think of that.

I ran into a password hack on OK Cupid once and couldn't figure out what was to be gained since it's a free site and no money changed hands before realizing that they were likely hoping I used the same username and PW for my banks, gmail and credit cards or something.

God drat, being on line is like an constant arms race. loving scammers, salespeople and marketers ruin everything I swear to god. I'm suddenly getting a lot of emails offering me "own my own business" and "direct marketing" and sales "opportunities" in my inbox despite not actively seeking a job for 2 or 3 years, letting my LinkedIn and Career Builder profile sit dormant and nothing whatsoever on my resume is even remotely related to sales, marketing or any of that bullshit nor suggests I'd be good at any of it.

I'm an illustrator, graphic designer, art director and larger format graphics installer.

"Why yes, I am interested in selling life insurance, knives, managing my own sales force and selling nutritional supplements as an IBO."

gently caress off you parasites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah like I said it all seemed legit, just weird since I use OAuth and not a normal Spotify login

Oh yeah I see what you mean, I didn't have a Spotify-only password set up. Oh well, I do now!