Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BiggerBoat posted:

Has anyone brought up towing companies yet?

The poo poo they get up to is downright criminal, theft and is nothing short of extortion. In the town I grew up in, there was a company near the university that cut deals with business owners to give them kickbacks on the towing fees/fines and the company where you had to go get your car was like a fortified compound. The people that worked there acted like mobsters and would charge you basically whatever they wanted since there seemed to be no set amount on the fines.

There was no way for you to prove it or challenge it in cases where there was not a clearly marked sign either and the motherfuckers would tow you anyway even if you were present with your vehicle and before they even hooked it up. OFten, they'll just flat out refuse to release your vehicle unless you pay whatever made up amount they say you owe them, tack on exorbitant "storage fees" and, usually, the cops won't help you either. If you send your kid, a family member or your spouse to go get your car, they won't give it to them

Here's a little write up I found

https://medium.com/the-random-nerdi...es-29a7094be69a

There's even a ballad about corrupt towing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF3q7o8Yjrg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
In Toronto there is, or was basically a mob war, but with towing companies, which were probably owned by various crime organizations.

Trucks getting burned, blown up, shot at, fist fights at the side of major highways, the whole thing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There's even a ballad about corrupt towing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF3q7o8Yjrg

They really went in a new direction after Chester died, huh?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

There was a big one in Chicago recently too.

edit: New page already had it covered.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I seem to remember some connection between the cops and the towing companies too, where the police would ticket the cars, then call BubbaTow and the company would kick back a %, cash of course, to the cop(s) who led them to the car. There were a few parking lots that were notorious in the small college town I was in that liked to tow people's cars who were going to Midnight Movies and we only learned the hard way not to park at Roy Rogers Chicken because the NO PARKING sign was almost intentionally hidden.

It was THERE but not clearly marked. The place was closed and there was more than enough room to park so not sure why they gave a poo poo anyway at 12-2 am.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BiggerBoat posted:

I seem to remember some connection between the cops and the towing companies too, where the police would ticket the cars, then call BubbaTow and the company would kick back a %, cash of course, to the cop(s) who led them to the car. There were a few parking lots that were notorious in the small college town I was in that liked to tow people's cars who were going to Midnight Movies and we only learned the hard way not to park at Roy Rogers Chicken because the NO PARKING sign was almost intentionally hidden.

It was THERE but not clearly marked. The place was closed and there was more than enough room to park so not sure why they gave a poo poo anyway at 12-2 am.

What else are they gonna do? It's the middle of the night at a Roy Rogers. Might as well gently caress with people.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
There should be a law that if a parking lot is less than 1/3 full you can't tow any cars.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pekinduck posted:

There should be a law that if a parking lot is less than 1/3 full you can't tow any cars.

"Your honor, it was empty when I pulled in, I swear!"

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

wesleywillis posted:

In Toronto there is, or was basically a mob war, but with towing companies, which were probably owned by various crime organizations.

Trucks getting burned, blown up, shot at, fist fights at the side of major highways, the whole thing.

That happened with burger vans in Derby and Nottingham in the UK. My wife used to know some guys who ran food vans and they all had guns. Chap with a burger van near my old job used to sleep in the van fairly often because people tried to set it on fire so many times. He reckoned he was the only one in the city who actually wanted to sell burgers rather than launder money/sell drugs. Punch-ups over the best spots outside the stadium on match days were not uncommon for a while.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Volmarias posted:

"Your honor, it was empty when I pulled in, I swear!"

Yeah, I was thinking more that towing companies can't tow if the lot has plenty of space. If the lot starts to fill up any unauthorized cars are fair game. I've known people who got towed on weekend nights when their car was literally the only one there. That's just rent-seeking.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My FIL called for a tow once and the guy went looking for him in a different part of town. When he showed up and towed him he demanded twice as much as they agreed to. My FIL paid him what he agreed to so the guy started trash talking him around town as a dead bear so my FIL went into his office, tossed an extra 50% on the desk, and dramatically told him that was the end of it in front of everyone.

I laughed when he told me the story and told him he got scammed and did it himself.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sanford posted:

That happened with burger vans in Derby and Nottingham in the UK. My wife used to know some guys who ran food vans and they all had guns. Chap with a burger van near my old job used to sleep in the van fairly often because people tried to set it on fire so many times. He reckoned he was the only one in the city who actually wanted to sell burgers rather than launder money/sell drugs. Punch-ups over the best spots outside the stadium on match days were not uncommon for a while.

The only burger van in Nottingham I can imagine needing a gun is that one near Rock City and Rescue Rooms that's always absolutely swarming at chucking out time. I can see needing to loose off a few rounds if the students are getting rowdy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

My FIL paid him what he agreed to so the guy started trash talking him around town as a dead bear so my FIL went into his office, tossed an extra 50% on the desk, and dramatically told him that was the end of it in front of everyone.

I love this typo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

I love this typo

Lol Jfc my phone typing

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Captain Monkey posted:

I love this typo

A dear bear? :confused:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dead beat

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Frazzbo posted:

A dead bear? :confused:

Bears are known for skipping out on their obligations to family and friends. In business, that can kill your relationships, making you "dead" to someone. As an example, if you've heard of a "bear market", it's because the market has shown that it no longer wants to reward investors for their actions, turning from the noble and trustworthy bull to the shifty and untrustworthy bear.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 17, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Are taxi debit/credit card scams common in other cities? It's been a thing in Toronto for a while. I just remembered it because it happened to a friend of mine about two weeks ago. He got into a cab while drunk, handed the driver his debit card to use the Interac machine, and didn't realize until he got home that the guy had given him back a different card.

I've never been burned like this but years ago it happened to a few other friends so I always make a point of telling the driver to hand me the Interac terminal; I'm not giving him my card.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Bears are known for skipping out on their obligations to family and friends. In business, that can kill your relationships, making you "dead" to someone. As an example, if you've heard of a "bear market", it's because the market has shown that it no longer wants to reward investors for their actions, turning from the noble and trustworthy bull to the shifty and untrustworthy bear.

Not to mention their rampant thievery of picnic baskets

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Not sure what I've signed up to but I've been getting loads of fake shipment tracking emails. Maybe gmail isn't filtering them out as usual because it's near the holidays?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ilmucche posted:

Not sure what I've signed up to but I've been getting loads of fake shipment tracking emails. Maybe gmail isn't filtering them out as usual because it's near the holidays?

If you look at the email headers, you can see why the email was or was not considered spam. It's possible that whoever is doing this decided to sit on a good technique they found until the Christmas rush, rather than it being due to volume or the time of year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah it's almost certainly because the scammers are unleashing their most and best stuff in December, better chances of dumb people falling for their scams during the pre-Christmas shipping scramble.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah cool, I'll see if I can poke around at the headers and find out. I marked the first few as spam but a few more came straight to inbox today.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
gmail's spam detection has also just been poo poo lately and has let though more than a few very obvious scam emails

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm actually just about ready to migrate off of gmail for my personal email for several reasons, that being one of them

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Zamujasa posted:

gmail's spam detection has also just been poo poo lately and has let though more than a few very obvious scam emails

Good thing for me because Warren Buffet himself got through the other day letting me know he’s randomly picked my email and that I need to respond in order to collect $15m. What a guy!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

cool little video I found about call center scammers

https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/beating-scammers-at-their-own-game/6336f88f12f031567b7f0735

I wish it were longer. I could watch a whole documentary on this poo poo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There is a guy on yt who creates videos messing with scammers and it is painfully funny sometimes thanks to his voice modifiers

Scammer: now miss bring the gift cards to the teller and if they ask you who they are for miss, say they are for your grandson, miss

Away from phone Grandma: hello, these gift cards are for my grandson… that’s what the IRS man told me to say.

Scammer: screaming

To Scammer Grandma: I told them

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

There is a guy on yt who creates videos messing with scammers and it is painfully funny sometimes thanks to his voice modifiers

Scammer: now miss bring the gift cards to the teller and if they ask you who they are for miss, say they are for your grandson, miss

Away from phone Grandma: hello, these gift cards are for my grandson… that’s what the IRS man told me to say.

To Scammer Grandma: I told them

Kitboga is his YT name if it's the guy I'm thinking of

His channel is great

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Kitboga is fun, but goddamn watch a few of his videos and you pollute your Youtube algorithm. It's all counterscammers.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Well, my dad got conned by a PayPal phishing scam, and was on the phone with them for an hour and a half. I’ve nuked his phone from orbit, canceled all credit cards, and advised my parents to get identity theft protection. One thing I don’t understand though: they had him open a PayPal credit card account, and then had him send money to my brother. What was that about? All I can think is that the card probably asked for a social security number when you apply for it, and because they were remote accessing his phone, they could see what it was when he entered it. Still not sure why the next step was to send money to someone else. Anyone have any ideas? It’s making me nervous…

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Presumably the next step will involve hitting up your brother.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
That or fake an 'overpay' to the brother which will be described as a massive fault that needs immediate correction. Jail time for them, for their relative, the FBI will be called, etc. Anything to scare the person into trying to fix the situation as fast as possible, usually by running out to a big box store to buy gift cards.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it a scam to add an automatic gratuity on a normal bar bill, hoping that people just blindly tip? Hate it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

smackfu posted:

Is it a scam to add an automatic gratuity on a normal bar bill, hoping that people just blindly tip? Hate it.

It's usually on the menu somewhere that parties of 8 or more (or whatever the number happens to be) have a tip automatically added. I put this down less to "mmm money gimmegimmegimme" and more "when people split the bill the tip gets lost in the calculation" and "well I'm already paying $xxx, they should be making more than enough from me already!" which sucks for the poor wait staff who aren't going to see any of that.

Tipping culture is the real scam here. It has a very awful root in racism, and I really wish we could just get rid of it altogether.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Almost every single answer to why an aspect of American culture is a certain way is racism.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

smackfu posted:

It's up there with asking if you want water and then bringing out some fancy carbonated bottle at an inflated price.

In a similar vein, I've noticed a couple of local bars/restaurants are now adding a 3% fee for credit card transactions. One explicitly stated that it was an additional charge versus the "cash discount" verbiage. I used to think this was a violation of their merchant agreement with credit card companies but some quick searching led me to believe that this changed back in 2013.

What's interesting to me is that these places almost certainly do not want you to pay with cash. From a business perspective, the upsides of accepting credit cards almost certainly outweigh the fees. They're just betting that credit card usage is so ubiquitous now that it's an easy way to recoup those fees. I did think to myself, "I'll show them. I'll bring a hundred dollar bill next time and pay with that!" before chuckling about my plan to try to make a point by giving someone money.

I'm sure the staff are the ones that bear the burden of this policy. They're the ones who are getting tipped less because customers are pissed about being charged a fee, and they're the ones who have to take the time to count out $14.73 in change from the drawer instead of just swiping.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The lady that kept emailing me who was getting scammed stopped awhile ago. I just did some Googling, and scammer killed her via taking away her medication money. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

The lady that kept emailing me who was getting scammed stopped awhile ago. I just did some Googling, and scammer killed her via taking away her medication money. :(

That's awful. I remember you posting the initial emails a couple of years ago. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Volmarias posted:

It's usually on the menu somewhere that parties of 8 or more (or whatever the number happens to be) have a tip automatically added. I put this down less to "mmm money gimmegimmegimme" and more "when people split the bill the tip gets lost in the calculation" and "well I'm already paying $xxx, they should be making more than enough from me already!" which sucks for the poor wait staff who aren't going to see any of that.

That am I used to. This was two coworkers sitting at a hotel bar.

Same bar also charged $2 for “rocks”.