Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

SEKCobra posted:

These questions were still part of ESTA in 2019.

Was still there summer 2022.
Along with a question asking if you suffer from mental illness, with a big warning if you click yes asking you to reconsider clicking yes.

https://www.esta-for-usa.com/english/clarifications-for-some-eligibility-questions.html

Because mental disorders are famous for being treated and never reappear later in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

EricBauman posted:

It's so they can deport (and bar entry for five years) you for the crime of lying to the govt even if you haven't committed any crimes that would otherwise be actionable by or in the US

I've seen this explanation before and it strikes me as strange. Australia has character requirements for visas including a provision for just generally being of bad character even if you haven't committed an actual crime ever. Surely the US has something similar?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Organza Quiz posted:

I've seen this explanation before and it strikes me as strange. Australia has character requirements for visas including a provision for just generally being of bad character even if you haven't committed an actual crime ever. Surely the US has something similar?

Why hasn't Australia evicted everyone then?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

you've got it backwards, australia is where they sent the people of bad moral character.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

EricBauman posted:

It's so they can deport (and bar entry for five years) you for the crime of lying to the govt even if you haven't committed any crimes that would otherwise be actionable by or in the US

The way Congress drafted the immigration laws there's a couple of general categories and then some real specific line items.

It's all "the Attorney General* shall deem an applicant for entry into the United States inadmissible if:

3) such applicant presents a threat to the national security"

*these laws were mostly written before GWB invented DHS and moved CBP there.

Then seven unrelated sections later, there's:

"(F) for purposes of subsection (3), above, an applicant shall be deemed to present a threat to national security if such applicant:

(i) is or has been a member of a communist party;

(ii) has committed terrorism or provided material support to a terrorist organization;

(iii) has been convicted of any crime involving controlled substances . . . "

And then when drafting the forms, CBP just goes down the line, asks a question for (i), then for (ii), then for (iii), doing exactly what Congress asked.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Captain Monkey posted:

you've got it backwards, australia is where they sent the people of bad moral character.

That's what I meant. With that ruling it should be back to where it was before transportation.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

We did. Unfortunately they all got deported to Australia.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-principal-scammed-elon-musk/43446499

quote:

A principal of a charter school in Volusia County resigned after writing a $100,000 check to an internet scammer posing as Elon Musk.

Dr. Jan McGee worked at Burns Science and Technology Charter in Oak Hill since its inception. The school and McGee have always been well thought of. Burns Science and Technology is A-rated with just under 1,000 students and a huge waiting list. The principal who has guided it all these years is a superstar in many circles, but a huge lapse in judgment has cost her her job.

“I am a very smart lady. Well-educated. I fell for a scam,” McGee said.

McGee told a packed audience she was taken in by a fake Elon Musk, someone posing online as the space pioneer. Someone she'd been talking with for at least four months despite being warned by staff that the person was a fraud. She claims he groomed her.

“Grooming is when you talk to somebody and you believe in them, and they get you to trust them that this is really real, and so I fell for it,” McGee said.

For years, principal McGee talked to anyone who would listen about getting Musk and his money involved in the STEM school, a stone's throw from the Space Coast, and apparently thought she'd finally gotten his ear.

“Somehow she believed it,” board chair Albert Amalfitano said. “He must have been really convincing.”

Amalfitano says that McGee wrote a $100,000 check out of the school's account. She reportedly believed the person she made the check out to was Musk's right-hand man.

“Matching funds with this guy and he was supposed to give like $6 million to the school,” Amalfitano said.

The principal had authorization to write a check up to $50,000 out of the account but no more without board approval, which she did not get. Fortunately, the school's business manager, Brent Appy got wind and stopped the check before it cleared.

“I put myself into this position and into this mess and I made a bad decision,” McGee said.

McGee apologized to the board and the community but other issues with the principal were brought up as some described a toxic work environment. When three other administrators said they would leave rather than work for her, McGee resigned and left the meeting with her husband who was a teacher but has also resigned. The board chair says it was the only possible outcome.

“When you lose the respect of… When your leadership is now in question, you can't properly lead and that's going to cause chaos,” Amalfitano said.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Curious what the other stuff was that made people quit rather than stay

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

what do you mean this isn't the catalina wine mixer

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Some rear end in a top hat just tried texting me with "the CRA has sent you an Interac transfer for $463.48" and a link.

Which, if I were more gullible, might even have worked. But the CRA doesn't do e-transfers, they have the ability to loving deposit money right into my bank account.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well, what was the link? :v

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Friend of a friend almost got got because he wanted tickets to the Kevin Hart comedy tour and was gonna get last-minute sale tickets for the event. Got so far as sending the money via e-transfer, only for the bank to decline it because the email (A NO-REPLY@ EMAIL) was banned/discontinued/wrong.

The thing that I couldn't believe was that the scammer wanted a screenshot of the e-transfer with the banking data on it.

F of F says he was glad that the bank auto-obscures critical banking information.

Moral of the story is don't bother going to a comedy tour, just watch it afterwards.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The thing that I couldn't believe was that the scammer wanted a screenshot of the e-transfer with the banking data on it.

I think scammers are now checking to see if its a real bite or someone messing with them. Its just anecdotal but my older coworkers get a ton of scam calls and play along if they're bored. I don't have any data to back this up but it would be awesome if people like Kitboga have inspired a meaningful percentage of targets to waste the scammers time.

Funny story: a friend has an elderly neighbor with a landline who bought an air horn to use on scammers. Every afternoon: PHEEEET PHEEEEEEEET He had to have a chat: "look, I get it, but my kids need to sleep for school"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tinytort posted:

Some rear end in a top hat just tried texting me with "the CRA has sent you an Interac transfer for $463.48" and a link.

Which, if I were more gullible, might even have worked. But the CRA doesn't do e-transfers, they have the ability to loving deposit money right into my bank account.

I hear there's an issue with my Netflix payment

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, I've gotten those too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BiggerBoat posted:

When I see that I think "drat right there is I cancelled it over a year ago."

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I get a lot of calls and texts about wanting to buy my house. One time I played along. Ask him to make an offer.. he was indignant. "Oh, I'm not just gonna make an offer!" Well, what did you expect? That was pretty funny. I might dick around with a few more. Because one things for certain. They do not. loving. stop.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My sister in law is a nurse and she and her colleague tried to explain to the guy at the scam centre who called them everyday that they were calling a hospital and they really needed to save the phones for important stuff and he called them “stupid loving bitches” and hung up.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Before I had ads blocked I saw a lot of ads on YouTube, and hear a lot of radio ads, to get you out of a timeshare. The cynic on me just thinks corps are buying timeshares so they can resell them to another unsuspecting buyer. Or maybe Airbnb them ? Just curious if I'm off base there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

tinytort posted:

Oh, I've gotten those too.

I don't really get the end game here because all someone has to do is go log into their Netflix account and see if it's, you know, actually loving working. I knew it was a scam but that's what I went and did anyway; just to do it.

Am I just supposed to go "Oh, deary me, that doesn't sound right at all. Let me just go get my check book, young man. I'm so terribly sorry about all this. Anyway, it's 0123 3456 7891 0112...What's that? I need to pay in advance now? Why yes, I would like to pay in advance for the next year. I would hate for this to happen again. You need the what now? What is a CVC code? Yes, you'll probably need my social security number too, right. OK then"?

pumped up for school posted:

Before I had ads blocked I saw a lot of ads on YouTube, and hear a lot of radio ads, to get you out of a timeshare. The cynic on me just thinks corps are buying timeshares so they can resell them to another unsuspecting buyer. Or maybe Airbnb them ? Just curious if I'm off base there.

Every now and again I browse/search in Incognito mode where it disables my ad blocker and it's absolutely astonishing how much trash is added to the experience. Then I realize that for probably half the country that this is their normal internet journey. When I try to use Youtube on my phone, it's totally insufferable working my way through ads every 3 minutes. Also, even looking at Yahoo News or anything like that looks like the TV in Idiocracy.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 16, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

he called them “stupid loving bitches” and hung up.

To be fair this is how I end up signing off on about half the phone calls I have to make.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

pumped up for school posted:

Last week Tonight just did a thing on time shares, and those companies are just as exploitative as the time share companies.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't really get the end game here because all someone has to do is go log into their Netflix account and see if it's, you know, actually loving working. I knew it was a scam but that's what I went and did anyway; just to do it.

Am I just supposed to go "Oh, deary me, that doesn't sound right at all. Let me just go get my check book, young man. I'm so terribly sorry about all this. Anyway, it's 0123 3456 7891 0112...What's that? I need to pay in advance now? Why yes, I would like to pay in advance for the next year. I would hate for this to happen again. You need the what now? What is a CVC code? Yes, you'll probably need my social security number too, right. OK then"?

Yes, actually. It's especially insidious that the elderly are targeted with this, but we all have brain farts.

Similarly to this, a scam has been to just send an invoice to a large company's Accounts Payable(?) department for some vaguely defined service and a relatively small amount of money. A normal and functional bureaucracy would actually verify that they're being billed for a thing that they got, and look up the reference number. A normal and functional bureaucracy does not, however, exist for large companies.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Midjack posted:

To be fair this is how I end up signing off on about half the phone calls I have to make.

In the reverse order though, I'd assume.

:ohdear:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I get a lot of calls and texts about wanting to buy my house. One time I played along. Ask him to make an offer.. he was indignant. "Oh, I'm not just gonna make an offer!" Well, what did you expect? That was pretty funny. I might dick around with a few more. Because one things for certain. They do not. loving. stop.

I got an unsolicited offer from a real company to buy my house for about 20% under market during the height of the pandemic housing market. Not technically a scam I guess? Just looking for really dumb people

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
It seems like either scam detection is finally kinda working with my cell carrier or I'm just on the weirdest soliciting list because for the last year or so I've been getting hang up calls where if I answer it's complete silence and they hang up, and if I don't they leave a 4 second silent voicemail. Always 4 seconds and I get 2-3 per day from phone numbers that are all obviously spoofed trying to be local calls. My cell number is old and I got it while halfway across the country so it's very easy to know when these are coming in because if it's a FL area code and not in my address book it's them. What I can't figure out is what's the grift? If I answer they know my phone number is active? I've blocked hundreds of numbers at this point and spent hours the other day deleting the hundreds of silent voicemails. What gives?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bamhand posted:

I got an unsolicited offer from a real company to buy my house for about 20% under market during the height of the pandemic housing market. Not technically a scam I guess? Just looking for really dumb people

If you accept the offer they'll pay out. It's not a great choice but if you need to cash out RIGHT NOW it works as advertised.

Tristesse posted:

It seems like either scam detection is finally kinda working with my cell carrier or I'm just on the weirdest soliciting list because for the last year or so I've been getting hang up calls where if I answer it's complete silence and they hang up, and if I don't they leave a 4 second silent voicemail. Always 4 seconds and I get 2-3 per day from phone numbers that are all obviously spoofed trying to be local calls. My cell number is old and I got it while halfway across the country so it's very easy to know when these are coming in because if it's a FL area code and not in my address book it's them. What I can't figure out is what's the grift? If I answer they know my phone number is active? I've blocked hundreds of numbers at this point and spent hours the other day deleting the hundreds of silent voicemails. What gives?

I get these on my home number too, best I can tell they're sweeping for a list of live numbers to sell to someone else.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
At that point in the market I could've called any random realtor and gotten at least 10% more than what the letter offered within a week, Likely more.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

bamhand posted:

Sounds more like looking for desperate people more than anything.

Tristesse posted:

The auto dialer some spamming marketer is using is dialing far more numbers than they have capacity for. The assumption is that not all numbers called will pick up, so there's fewer agents than outbound calls, and when you pick up it will get connected to someone in the call center. But, sounds like that last bit isn't happening, so either they're really under-resourced and are ok with that, or the call just isn't getting correctly routed to Hello yes Sir I am Thomas with Microsoft home consumer Support How are you Doing Today Your Computer is broadcasting an IP address and

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab

Pekinduck posted:

I think scammers are now checking to see if its a real bite or someone messing with them. Its just anecdotal but my older coworkers get a ton of scam calls and play along if they're bored. I don't have any data to back this up but it would be awesome if people like Kitboga have inspired a meaningful percentage of targets to waste the scammers time.

Funny story: a friend has an elderly neighbor with a landline who bought an air horn to use on scammers. Every afternoon: PHEEEET PHEEEEEEEET He had to have a chat: "look, I get it, but my kids need to sleep for school"

gettin high huffin airhorn again no doubt

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The blank voicemail / silence and hang up calls have been a thing for me forever. I agree with the take that they're just looking for active numbers.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Isn't that usually just some call center (usually a scam one) illegally using more autodiallers than they have staff working so there's noone to pick up the call when it hits your phone?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Masonity posted:

Isn't that usually just some call center (usually a scam one) illegally using more autodiallers than they have staff working so there's noone to pick up the call when it hits your phone?

Most of the time yeah. I don't know how the law works in the US but in the UK you can dial as many lines as you want, the regulator only gets involved if you're hanging up on 3 percent of the calls you make without the customer getting to speak to an agent. This leads to running an auto dialler being a fun balancing act between getting through the records as fast as possible and going slow enough that you don't drop a bunch of calls and end up with Ofcom on your back.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, i've BEEN HACKED!!

(I just signed up for like four ai text generators trying to find one that spawn realistic names for the games I run for my friends, so I'm due for a deluge of poo poo like this)

The reason I share this one is because it's loving illegible. I know they usually use bad english to weed out anyone halfway intelligent, but this is a whole different ballgame.

quote:

You've been HACKED <573victim@573.storebloxcs.com>
You
Good evening!

Idhaveetobshareabadenewscwithdyou.
ApproximatelydfewcmonthscagoaIchavecgainedaaccessbtobyourddevices,dwhichayoucusecfor
internetdbrowsing.
Afterdthat,cIehavebstartedetrackingdyourainterneteactivities.

Hereeisethedsequencedofdevents:
SomedtimeaagobIahaveapurchasedeaccessetodemailbaccountsafrombhackersc(nowadays,aitcis
quiteasimpleatoapurchasedsuchathingconline).
Obviously,eIahaveaeasilyamanagedbtoalogcinbtocyourdemaileaccount.

Onedweekblater,cIbhavebalreadyeinstalledcTrojancvirusbtoaOperatingaSystemsbofballathe
devicesdthatayouauseetodaccesseyouraemail.
Inbfact,ditcwasbnotcreallydhardbatballc(sincedyouaweredfollowingdtheelinksafrombyour
inboxcemails).
Allaingeniousdisdsimple.c=)

Thisbsoftwarebprovidescmedwithaaccessatoaallethedcontrollersaofbyourddevicesd(e.g.,cyour
microphone,dvideobcameraaandekeyboard).
Ichavebdownloadedeallcyourcinformation,adata,bphotos,cwebbbrowsingdhistoryctoemyaservers.
Iahavecaccessatoaallbyourcmessengers,esocialcnetworks,bemails,cchatbhistorydandccontacts
list.
Mydvirusbcontinuouslyarefreshesdthecsignaturese(itaisbdriver-based),canddhencebremains
invisibledforaantiviruscsoftware.

Likewise,dIdguessabyenowdyoucunderstandawhybIbhaveastayedeundetectedcuntilathisdletter...

Whileagatheringainformationbaboutcyou,eIahaveadiscoveredathatbyoucareaadbigcfanaofaadult
websites.
Youbreallyelovebvisitingaporncwebsitesbandbwatchingaexcitingdvideos,bwhilecenduringdan
enormousdamountdofbpleasure.
Well,dIdhaveemanagedctodrecordcabnumbercofcyourddirtyascenesdandemontageddadfewevideos,
whichdshowcthecwaydyoucmasturbatedandareacheorgasms.

Ifbyoudhaveedoubts,cIecanemakebadfewcclickscofamycmousebanddallbyourbvideosbwilldbe
sharedbtoayourdfriends,dcolleaguesbanderelatives.
Idhaveealsobnobissueaataallctocmakebthembavailableeforbpubliceaccess.
Ieguess,eyoucreallyddon'tawantdthatdtoehappen,bconsideringcthedspecificitydofdthebvideos
youclikeetocwatch,d(youdperfectlybknowawhatcIbmean)citdwillccausecactrueccatastrophebfor
you.

Let'scsettlebitethisaway:
Youdtransferb$1590eUSDctodmec(inbBitcoineequivalenteaccordingatocthebexchangeeratedatdthe
momenteofefundsdtransfer),bandconceetheatransfereisereceived,bIbwilledeletecalldthis
dirtyastuffbrightcaway.
Aftercthataweewilleforgetdaboutdeachaother.cIdalsobpromisebtoadeactivatecandadeleteeall
thedharmfulbsoftwarecfromayourcdevices.dTrustame,eIbkeepbmyeword.

Thisaisbacfaircdealbandethedpricebisaquitealow,bconsideringdthatbIdhavedbeenbcheckingaout
youraprofiledanddtrafficbforasomebtimebbyenow.
Inbcase,cifcyouddon'teknowahowetoapurchasedandbtransferathedBitcoinsd-eyouacancusebany
moderncsearchcengine.

HereeisbmyaBitcoinbwallet: 1K9M9H8GppMpaRQ3cCr1v2H6wX58zcySqq

Youehaveclessethana48choursdfromcthedmomentbyoucopenedathisbemaild(preciselyc2adays).

Thingsdyoucneedbtoeavoidbfromcdoing:
*Doanotereplyemee(Idhaveacreatedbthisdemaileinsidedyourdinboxbanddgeneratedathebreturn
address).
*Dobnotetryatodcontactbpoliceaandcothercsecurityeservices.aIndaddition,bforgetdabout
tellingethisatobyouafriends.eIfdIcdiscoverdthate(asbyoudcancsee,biteisdreallycnotcso
hard,dconsideringbthatbIdcontrolcalldyourdsystems)d-cyouravideoawillabedshareddtobpublic
righteaway.
*Don'tdtryatodfindcmee-aitbiscabsolutelyepointless.eAllbtheecryptocurrencydtransactions
aredanonymous.
*Don'tctryctocreinstallathecOSconcyourcdeviceseorcthrowbthemeaway.cItcisbpointlesscas
well,asinceealldthedvideosdhaveaalreadybbeencsaveddatcremoteaservers.

Thingsdyouedon'taneeddtoeworrycabout :
*ThatcIbwon'tebecablectodreceivebyourdfundsbtransfer.
-aDon'teworry,dIdwillaseeeiterighteaway,concebyoudcompleteatheetransfer,asincecI
continuouslyctrackcalldyourcactivitiesc(myctrojancvirusahascgotdaeremote-controlbfeature,
somethingblikeeTeamViewer).
*ThatdIawillcsharecyourevideosdanywaybafterayoudcompletedtheefundsdtransfer.
-cTrustbme,aIbhavecnoapointetobcontinuebcreatingbtroublescinbyouralife.eIfdIbreally
wantedethat,cIbwouldbdoaitclongbtimeaago!

Everythingbwillabeadoneaincaafairbmanner!

Onebmorebthing...eDon'tagetacaughtcindsimilarekindeofbsituationsbanymorebinafuture!
Mydadvicee-ckeepcchangingdalldyourapasswordsdondaefrequentabasis

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

XD

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Most of the time yeah. I don't know how the law works in the US but in the UK you can dial as many lines as you want, the regulator only gets involved if you're hanging up on 3 percent of the calls you make without the customer getting to speak to an agent. This leads to running an auto dialler being a fun balancing act between getting through the records as fast as possible and going slow enough that you don't drop a bunch of calls and end up with Ofcom on your back.

In the USA almost all telemarketing is already illegal so they DGAF.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Pekinduck posted:

Tell this dumbass one of them will call him back and do it to him one day, or some other poor fucker that answers the phone.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Midjack posted:

Software mute* is the best thing ever for call center types. Yes random lady I do care about the injustice you just suffered at Starbucks. I understand why your husband installed the porn app.

*Hardware mute has a definite click to it. Trick was to time it so the caller was talking during the click over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Reverse mortgages, they seemed so scammy to me the first time I heard of them but I have no idea what the scam actually is.

Best I can come up with is, they give oldies a bunch of money for their houses, basically "buying" the house in all but title, owners keep paying the taxes, maintenance etc and when pop-pop and meemaw finally die or go to the old folks home, the "financial institution" gets the title/legal poo poo that says they own the home for rizzles, and then they sell the house for its (presumably) higher value than they paid for it.

Is that more or less it?

What about selling your life insurance policy?