Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Platystemon posted:

Slag it on site, buy new hardware, and restore from backup.

at first glance I saw 'shag' :chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

sweart gliwere posted:

That one was so badly composed, though. Like maybe a patient but low-functioning schizophrenic could fall for it, but there's enough word salad that a regular dumb person or gullible auntie might not parse it.

the Microsoft Research paper about Nigerian scammers goes into detail about this. it's a good strategy to make your email really dumb-sounding because then you get fewer responses from people who might come into the interaction with a hunch that "hey this might not be totally legit"

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Slag it on site, buy new hardware, and restore from backup.

We were REQUIRED to call the cops. Explaining that we were 99.9% sure it was incidental and he probably innocently clicked on a bad link was... interesting. "Then why did you call us?"

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
There's one doing the rounds in the hospitality trade in Australia.
Some "old man" ("John Murphy") who's undergoing double cochlear implant surgery is contacting venues where he has a jazz band booked ready for his recovery party. He wants to confirm the venue with time, place and food orders.
The so called jazz band then sends an invoice to the venue expecting them to front the bill with the impression the old guy will send on the cash later when he's recovered. With other bizarre claims he hasn't setup an online account because he's old.

Some people have been stringing the guy along to see how far it goes and it's pretty impressive revealing photoshopped or stolen and expired credit cards and driver ids, along with false invoices that have been cleverly done so that the ABN (Aussie business number) actually matches up with someone who is a musician. The other giveaway was the band and the owner being in two completely different states in Australia.

It's a variation on the advance fee scam. However in this case they are actually putting effort in targeting venues like hotels and so forth (a ton of venues were spotted in the CC) in the hopes that someone in accounting glazes over the details and falls for the sob story.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Caught up on the thread and actually had something to contribute!
Got an interesting one late in the day yesterday, texted to my phone.

Weird number with too many 0s posted:

1 of 2
FRM: [NUMBER]
MSG: You have received a new Pentagon message attention:
Your atm card balance fell to -11.21$ on 19/09/2017.
PLEASE
(Con't) 2 of 2
contact us immediately at
[NUMBER](End)

Just to be safe I double-checked all my accounts through my actual bank's app, and everything was fine.
Was just curious what it might've been like had I called the number. A spiel about needing to verify my account information and then they run off into the night with my money?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Was just curious what it might've been like had I called the number. A spiel about needing to verify my account information and then they run off into the night with my money?
I suspect it would go to a guy trying to get you to head to a fake bank website to put in your bank details.

Currently in Australia we also have a spate of people cold calling pretending to be from the tax office claiming they have a legal proceeding or an arrest warrant.
They then declare that to avoid this you need to buy a ton of iTunes cards then read back the numbers to the guy. Sometimes they even stay on the line as the gullible go shopping.

So yeah people's logic centres take a backseat when presented with a plausible sounding legal threat. Most people's instincts are to get it fixed ASAP so the odd logic of buying gift cards to pay back the government doesn't connect as the panic kicks in.

Recently this neatly backfired when a radio presenter decided to remark that the call was being recorded and got a nice spray back from the scammer.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-12/ato-scam-backfires-when-abc-presenter-targeted/8895030

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Caught up on the thread and actually had something to contribute!
Got an interesting one late in the day yesterday, texted to my phone.

Just to be safe I double-checked all my accounts through my actual bank's app, and everything was fine.

Looks pretty legit. I too get messages from the pentagon every time I overdraft my checking account.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Walk in at the end of the month, find the guy who looks most stressed out, give him an insane lowball offer and a throwaway email address, and walk away.
You'll know him when you see him.

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
My favorite spam message of all time was a thinly veiled 419 scam that ended with:

Sincerely,
Perry Analfistula

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just got an email that someone just used my
code:
paypaI.com
account and included a handy little link in case I wanted to cancel it. Thanks!

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Almanac posted:

My favorite spam message of all time was a thinly veiled 419 scam that ended with:

Sincerely,
Perry Analfistula

It kinda makes me smile that there are guys in west Africa and SE Asia, probably finishing their shift in a net cafe on a Friday afternoon, thinking, "whatever, lol."

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Almanac posted:

Sincerely,
Perry Analfistula

there is a bitcoin shill with the real, actual irl name of Tuur Demeester. sometimes things like this just happen

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

This is a bit of an odd one. Washed up bad musician Tom Delonge of Blink 182 infamy has started an academy of science, aerospace, and.... entertainment (those three disciplines that always go together). He's crowd-sourcing investments and talking a big talk about how much of his own money he's putting in, but digging into the details reveals he will personally receive a large annual payment from the organisation regardless of their financial performance. There are several other red flags such as a Scientology-esque "invest more to learn more secrets" and one of the advisors coincidentally having the same name as the Executive Director of the Georgia Institute of Aerospace Innovation (meaning a cursory Google search seems to validate his credentials).

To The Stars Academy of Arts & Science

Some highlights include claims they will build a vessel that can travel "instantaneously through space, air and water":

Timecube-style maths supporting methods to travel "beneath time":

And an advisor who looks like a Vegas stage magician:

It seems primarily to be weird marketing for Delonge's range of books and comics, but that hasn't prevented a very naive colleague contributing $200 that he really can't afford to the cause.

To the stars!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tom went nuts, I liked it better when he made jokes about boobs and farts

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao he should look into ancient astronaut consultant positions with the history channel...

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

peanut posted:

lmao he should look into ancient astronaut consultant positions with the history channel...

Needs 300% more hair. The hair is what makes Tsoukalos a star.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Sanford posted:

Timecube-style maths supporting methods to travel "beneath time":

That image describes a theoretical way to travel quickly across the universe. It’s a modification of the idea that you can warp space such that the distance between you and the destination is shortened, rather than you moving faster than light. It’s a theory that’s been talked about by respectable physicists, and in principle does not violate any of the physics that we currently understand. It’s been a while since I’ve heard or read anything about it. IIRC, the problem is that it requires generating a massive amount of negative mass, which we don’t know how to do (or even if it’s possible, although it doesn’t specifically break any theory), and also involves intense forces on the spacecraft, such that no material we know of could handle it. This is still just cool sci-fi, nothing concrete will come out of it in our lifetimes, or even close. I also don’t know what “beneath time” is supposed to mean.

To be clear, they’re definitely nuts, but the graphic on that slide isn’t gibberish. I think the equations are just a bunch of barely related general relativity things.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

ShadeofBlue posted:

I also don’t know what “beneath time” is supposed to mean.

Imagine five watches at the edge of a cliff as you stand below...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ShadeofBlue posted:

That image describes a theoretical way to travel quickly across the universe. It’s a modification of the idea that you can warp space such that the distance between you and the destination is shortened, rather than you moving faster than light. It’s a theory that’s been talked about by respectable physicists, and in principle does not violate any of the physics that we currently understand. It’s been a while since I’ve heard or read anything about it. IIRC, the problem is that it requires generating a massive amount of negative mass, which we don’t know how to do (or even if it’s possible, although it doesn’t specifically break any theory), and also involves intense forces on the spacecraft, such that no material we know of could handle it. This is still just cool sci-fi, nothing concrete will come out of it in our lifetimes, or even close. I also don’t know what “beneath time” is supposed to mean.

To be clear, they’re definitely nuts, but the graphic on that slide isn’t gibberish. I think the equations are just a bunch of barely related general relativity things.

Just gotta get on the spice and fold space in half.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Just gotta get on the spice and fold space in half.

Weed isn't that good yet.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

more like bongapprentice imo

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bongwizzard posted:

Kwisatz Hitothat

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grognan posted:

Kwisatz Hitothat

:perfect:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bongwizzard posted:

I think the strongest stuff out there peaks around 24, 25% THC content. Once they cross the 50% barrier, then yeah, you could probably travel the multiverse with it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ShadeofBlue posted:

... Even if we could get materials which could stand up to it, wouldn't it cause intense forces on the passengers?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

I think the strongest stuff out there peaks around 24, 25% THC content. Once they cross the 50% barrier, then yeah, you could probably travel the multiverse with it.

The Marijuanaut Guild has multidimensional travel locked down and they take an extremely unchill view of scabs honing in on their action.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

BigDave posted:

I vaped some extract claimed to be 92% recently and it made me downright uncomfortably high. I had the sweats and felt really light headed, which I would simply attribute to too much of a hit but even the guy who showed up with the stuff got the sweats and everything after one hit.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

The Marijuanaut Guild has multidimensional travel locked down and they take an extremely unchill view of scabs honing in on their action.

Dabs not scabs

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I gotta wonder what the scams are gonna be like when Millennials are retirement age.

Probably stuff like "Boomer prosperity was in fact buried in the form of Gold boullion in land plots in XYZ location! Buy a plot and recover what your parents unjustly stole from you all these years!"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Guest2553 posted:

Dabs not scabs

:allears:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I gotta wonder what the scams are gonna be like when Millennials are retirement age.

Probably stuff like "Boomer prosperity was in fact buried in the form of Gold boullion in land plots in XYZ location! Buy a plot and recover what your parents unjustly stole from you all these years!"

Probably be the same poo poo. Geriatrics never change. Ideally we'll all be dead in the next 5-10 years so it's hopefully not an issue.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
"I wouldn't buy a vacuum off him, but the door to door salesmen selling euthanasia services seeks legit"
*Gets tricked into selling euthanasia services door to door as a MLM scam *

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

The OldTek is just past the skeleton of the Great City, I have a map and only need a few gallons of water to make the journey and make us both fabulously wealthy!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Loot crates.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Like every other week there's an article about a sob story on gofundme that turned out to be fake. Instead of trying to get a relatively small number of people to send a lot of money, like the Nigerian scammers, they get a whole bunch of people to send them a couple bucks each. Basically the same effort, but with the added chance that the scammer strikes gold and it goes viral.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

AlbieQuirky posted:

Loot crates.

Door to door euthanasia loot crates.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Please donate at the $10 level so I can just get a couple of bucks for the bus to go see my sick mother at a job interview.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Please donate at the $10 level so I can just get a couple of bucks for the bus to go see my sick mother at a job interview.

And another $10 for gas money so I can go pick up the ticket.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also I'm gonna need smokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Panfilo posted:

Also I'm gonna need smokes.

GOOD smokes, not that Maverick crap. Newports or Camels.

...know what, just gimme your wallet.