Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That should depend on the cancer, I think. Some of them have very high cure rates if you catch them early enough. I used to work with a dude who was pushing 100 that had cancer three times. Pretty good health otherwise. Interestingly he only worked because he wanted to rather than from that he couldn't afford not to.

Anyway, my thought is similar, though. If it's one of those "you have a 50% chance to live and even if you do you'll have like 2 years, tops, and they'll suck" types of cancer then OK, I'm out. Had a good run. See you on the flip side, folks. Big pharma (a whole scam topic in and of itself) has come under fire for marketing cancer drugs for certain kinds of terminal cancers that cost tens of thousands but maybe give you an extra year of life.

A year would be a gift and a lucky break. Think more like 3-6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Welp it finally happened I got a spam call from my own number, twice even so far

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

PhazonLink posted:

Welp it finally happened I got a spam call from my own number, twice even so far

Trust nobody, not even yourself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

Who's on the downstairs extension?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The call was coming from inside the phone.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I've gotten a lot more calls rcently and it's really irritating. The att call blocker is not catching them and it used to. I assume it's a scam when they say "press 2 to be put on our do not call list"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
"press 2 to flag this number in our records as real and live so we can continue calling it forever"

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
And then they get to deal with me telling them vial wretched things to them. Or talking really quiet in my phone then blasting it with a super loud noise. Or spamming the buttons on my phone. I am very petty.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eric the Mauve posted:

"press 2 to flag this number in our records as real and live so we can continue calling it forever"

I'm in the back office of a small premises, and you've never seen me move as fast as I did yesterday when I heard a coworker tell the boss that she heard "if you just press 9, they'll stop calling you".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Holyshoot posted:

I've gotten a lot more calls rcently and it's really irritating. The att call blocker is not catching them and it used to. I assume it's a scam when they say "press 2 to be put on our do not call list"

Random phone numbers from new jersey keep leaving me that exact voice mail, often multiple times a day. It's aggravating. Don't even say who they are just 10 seconds of "or press a number to be placed on our do not call list!"

And people wonder why I despise phones.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I mean if the person hit that number why waste the call? At that point you know their not a sucker to actually fall for your deal or w/e you're selling.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Random phone numbers from new jersey keep leaving me that exact voice mail, often multiple times a day. It's aggravating. Don't even say who they are just 10 seconds of "or press a number to be placed on our do not call list!"

And people wonder why I despise phones.

The last one I had was about a new medicine for chronic pain and back issues. "Uhh I'm 32 and in perfect health besides diabetes."

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Holyshoot posted:

And then they get to deal with me telling them vial wretched things to them. Or talking really quiet in my phone then blasting it with a super loud noise. Or spamming the buttons on my phone. I am very petty.

Remember, it's not an obscene phone call if they called you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Remember, it's not an obscene phone call if they called you.

I think you can still get in trouble if you threaten the person who called or describe criminal activity but if you're just describing what you did Friday night, rock on forever!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I havent answered but I started getting alot of calls from the "CDC" asking me to do a survey. Its on my work phone so its not even registered to me or connected to me in anyway. They dont name me by name though. Its a Utah number but I live in Texas and they say theyre the Utah CDC.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I had a spam call interrupt another one I was on today (voice call interrupting a Zoom call on iOS); super great that there’s no way to stop this. gently caress these guys with a rusty dildo.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

its almost as if there should be a thing where the receiving carrier could ask the initiating carrier 'hey is this your dude(ette)?'

unfortunately we have not developed this inter-networking technology in TYOOL 2018

movax
Aug 30, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

its almost as if there should be a thing where the receiving carrier could ask the initiating carrier 'hey is this your dude(ette)?'

unfortunately we have not developed this inter-networking technology in TYOOL 2018

I would assume that phone companies make money off the spam calls and therefore they aren’t incentivized to help stop them.

It’s a little hosed if everyone’s MO for calls becomes “not a contact, not expecting a call, not picking up”, isn’t it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

movax posted:

I would assume that phone companies make money off the spam calls and therefore they aren’t incentivized to help stop them.

It’s a little hosed if everyone’s MO for calls becomes “not a contact, not expecting a call, not picking up”, isn’t it?

It's kind of how the mail works anymore. 90% of mine goes straight to recycling, unopened.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

movax posted:

Start fining carriers for letting spoofed calls through and they'll find a technical solution pretty quickly.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

movax posted:

That's been my SOP for a couple of years now and seems to be working so far. I just mute the ringer. If it's legit/important they leave a voice mail.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

That's been my SOP for a couple of years now and seems to be working so far. I just mute the ringer. If it's legit/important they leave a voice mail.

It just seems like a lovely way to use our phones; I would imagine that if you had kids, you would pick up any incoming call with your area code on the off chance it could be potentially about your kid.

I’ve answered a few from my area code and it’s usually complete silence on the other end..:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't even check my messages any more, it's always "Hello? Hello? [not my name]?". It'll probably bite me in the arse one day but that's life I guess. gently caress the idiot giving these people my number instead of his.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Start fining carriers for letting spoofed calls through and they'll find a technical solution pretty quickly.
Hello Senator Alhazred, I'm a lobbyist from The Telephone Companies, thanks for meeting me here at this fancy restaurant for lunch. Now, I'd like to propose an alternative to your proposed legistlation: I give you a pile of money and you forget all about this idea.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

movax posted:

Speech to text for my voicemail is loving great. I've had my current phone for almost 2 years and I just realized that I have never once called into my voicemail.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 22, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Zereth posted:

Hello Senator Alhazred, I'm a lobbyist from The Telephone Companies, thanks for letting me ambush you in this empty hallway. Now, I'd like to propose an alternative to your proposed legistlation: I don't fund your opponent in the next election with dump trucks full of cash and you forget all about this idea.

I have corrected your pitch on account of the fact that I think Senator Alhazred would be one of the good ones.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Speech to text for my voicemail is loving great. I've had my current phone for almost 2 years and I just realized that I have never once called into my voicemail.

Same, agreed. Mine will even let me play it if I need to without navigating an automated system.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zereth posted:

Hello Senator Alhazred, I'm a lobbyist from The Telephone Companies, thanks for meeting me here at this fancy restaurant for lunch. Now, I'd like to propose an alternative to your proposed legistlation: I give you a pile of money and you forget all about this idea.

:hmmyes:

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I have corrected your pitch on account of the fact that I think Senator Alhazred would be one of the good ones.

Hey, you're harshing my vibe! These yachts with small yachts in them don't commission themselves, you know! :mad:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
What about software updates that pretty much wreck your poo poo? I updated my phone last week. It's not THAT old (3 years maybe) and was working fine until I installed their update and now it is noticeably slower navigating the menu, doesn't ring as loud for some reason and half of my settings have reverted back to ways I didn't want or have been moved somewhere.

I'm convinced that companies do this sort of thing intentionally to basically force you to buy newer hardware.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Midjack posted:

I think you can still get in trouble if you threaten the person who called or describe criminal activity but if you're just describing what you did Friday night, rock on forever!

I haven't said anything violent cause I'm a baby and think if I said I would fire bomb their call center I'd get cops at my door a few hours later.

Regarding increased call volume I heard over the radio we are up to 25% of calls being spam this year and next year it's expected to rise to 50% of calls. No idea on the source of the stat they got it from but it seems right. Definitely getting more calls this year then last.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

movax posted:

i'm a holdout using a dumb phone and this is what i do. if anyone i care about wants to get in touch with me they send me a text, otherwise i leave my phone ignored with the ringer off 90% of the time. honestly i forget to take it with me a couple times a month, i mostly just leave it in my car in case i break down or something

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My phone is exclusively used for texting, Fortnite, and calling my grandmother.

I never pick up when I get a call from a non contact and only call back if a human leaves me a voicemail.

Scammers ruined phones.

Edit: Did you guys talk about Ticketmaster yet?

I hope this destroys their company.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 23, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

luxury handset posted:

i'm a holdout using a dumb phone and this is what i do. if anyone i care about wants to get in touch with me they send me a text, otherwise i leave my phone ignored with the ringer off 90% of the time. honestly i forget to take it with me a couple times a month, i mostly just leave it in my car in case i break down or something

Same but a smart phone. At work I have a computer, I'm not gonna use the phone when I'm driving, I really don't need it. Really I bring it with me in case we get a power outage or I break down, I forget it all the time.

TBH I only have a phone at all to placate my mom, she went nuts when I said I was fine without one. For important stuff like job callbacks there are other options.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Proteus Jones posted:

Heed my woe. A while back two people turned up at my front door, claiming to be state tax people. Well, I closed the door on them. Obvious scam, right? Wouldn't real tax people phone or send letters first? No, they were the real deal, and we got a lien put on our house in response. They'd been trying to get in touch with my husband for a long time but his philosophy is the same as yours - if it's important, they'll leave a voice mail. Apparently this does not count for our state tax people. They do not leave voice mail.

drat all those spammers that make it impossible to answer your phone.

I answer my phone for any number except obvious scams (i.e. numbers nearly the same as mine) because I have a kid and often get phoned by random daycare teachers to say that my little darling has spewed upon the storytime rug. Many curses rain upon the heads of all those who are daily trying to consolidate my student loans or fix my car warranty (of which I have neither.) And death is too good for those who babble something in Mandarin which I understand from news reports to be a scam.

https://www.npr.org/2018/05/10/609117134/chinese-robocalls-bombarding-the-u-s-are-part-of-an-international-phone-scam

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BarbarianElephant posted:

Heed my woe. A while back two people turned up at my front door, claiming to be state tax people. Well, I closed the door on them. Obvious scam, right? Wouldn't real tax people phone or send letters first? No, they were the real deal, and we got a lien put on our house in response. They'd been trying to get in touch with my husband for a long time but his philosophy is the same as yours - if it's important, they'll leave a voice mail. Apparently this does not count for our state tax people. They do not leave voice mail.

drat all those spammers that make it impossible to answer your phone.

Uh... and they never sent you a letter? That doesn't sound quite right to me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The IRS sends important poo poo through mail, a lot of states are hella less professional

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BiggerBoat posted:

What about software updates that pretty much wreck your poo poo? I updated my phone last week. It's not THAT old (3 years maybe) and was working fine until I installed their update and now it is noticeably slower navigating the menu, doesn't ring as loud for some reason and half of my settings have reverted back to ways I didn't want or have been moved somewhere.

I'm convinced that companies do this sort of thing intentionally to basically force you to buy newer hardware.

They do. Apple got caught red-handed at it and publicly admitted to it a few months ago.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

They do. Apple got caught red-handed at it and publicly admitted to it a few months ago.

The thing Apple got caught at had nothing to do with software updates. It was shady a f, but not at all what Bigger Boat described.

They were throttling the poo poo out of devices when their battery got old and crappy (totally fine) and then having employees use diagnostic tools that couldn’t detect the battery, so they’d just recommend buying a new phone instead of replacing the battery (holy poo poo not at all fine)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

The thing Apple got caught at had nothing to do with software updates. It was shady a f, but not at all what Bigger Boat described.

They were throttling the poo poo out of devices when their battery got old and crappy (totally fine) and then having employees use diagnostic tools that couldn’t detect the battery, so they’d just recommend buying a new phone instead of replacing the battery (holy poo poo not at all fine)

They also weren't telling the user what was going on and giving them the option to sacrifice battery life for performance. Admittedly it wouldn't matter a whole lot to most users, but it's still worth pointing out.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Eric the Mauve posted:

No, the Apple "scandal" was a function that, when the OS detected that the phone's battery was so degraded that it couldn't run at full power any more, it would keep the phone CPU running at lower power so the phone wouldn't randomly shut off. I actually had this problem on a (then) 3-year-old iPhone 6; it was a good feature that made my phone stop shutting off when google maps tried to run every high-power component in the phone at once.

Old phones get slower with software updates because nobody cares enough about them to make sure they run well, and the project of "package up and test the update for the old phone that doesn't sell any more" gets farmed out to interns and people who aren't trusted with anything else.

(I would like to thank everybody who thought they'd uncovered proof of a massive conspiracy for pushing Apple to offer cheap battery replacements, though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, and Apple made sure that their current upgrade, IOS12, works on all the devices that ran 11, and they didn’t get any slower, either.*

I’m not saying they actually put effort into optimizing for slower devices in response to the beating they took in the press, but I’m sure it didn’t hurt.

*Apple claims actual speed increases in some circumstances, but my GF’s old 6s seems the same to me.