Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

turbomoose posted:

One that I heard about from my grandparents was this:

1. scammers look for old people, then try to find relatives (grandchildren) on facebook or what have you. This will give them basic info, name, where they live, etc.

2. scammers call old people and say hey we have <insert kid's name here> in jail and they need bail money. they're calling you because kid gets in trouble if they call parents. Sometimes they even have a younger person of the requisite gender get on the line and mumble about needing bail money. I think the scam that was used claimed it was jail in Canada or something.

From a while ago but too good not to share.

This happened to my wife. Her grandma is 95 and got a call that she was in jail, needed bail money, and was too embarrassed to call her folks. Note that my wife is 32. Note that she has a husband she can call for bail money.

The funny part of it is that the grandmother hauled rear end down to the nearest police station and raised a huge stink when they said they weren't holding my wife. Just refused to leave the station for hours and by all accounts was a real pain in the balls. In the end someone got ahold of me and I had contact info for her boss, so I got him to tell her to call grandma and assure her that she wasn't in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Think of it this way:

You get a list of ten million email addresses. Let's say only a tenth of those are good addresses that make it through spam filters.

You set up a bot to email them all some variation on "click here for a virus." Of the one million good addresses only one in ten thousand gets infected. That's 100 computers. Let's say that it's a locker and only one in ten of those people opt to pay you $100 to get their computer back.

Congrats you just made $1k with a single spam shotgun off a one in a million success rate.

It's all a numbers game. Put enough hooks in the water and you'll get a bite and email makes it really ficking cheap on a per attempt basis.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Sounds like a good reason to have a cheap junk laptop or tablet that can communicate with a cheap USB hub. Leave the laptop non-networked, maybe even just use a USB boot stick and you can just slap a new boot image on if when something bad happens. USBkiller toys might only kill the hub, even.

Or, you could just resist sticking strange dongles in your open ports, I dunno.

Comedy option: don't some stores (Apple, unless the Winter Soldier movie lied to me) still have open computers to play with?

Just go to the library, either publlic or university. All the ones I've been to have available computers with working USB ports. I flat out assume those need to be reimaged monthly due to their user bases so it's not even that dick a move.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

sleppy posted:

That really just saves the hacker the trouble of going out and putting it on that public computer themselves. You should assume every public computer is insecure since who knows what other people put on it knowingly or not. In our labs on campus the computers are fresh each time they boot, so I usually restart one if I'm putting in any somewhat important passwords.

Yeah, that's what I was assuming was SOP. The public library near me is that way, and all the Unis I've had personal experience with have been as well

edit: Either way, sticking the sketchy parking lot thumb drive in the library computer to see if there's hot blackmail homegrown of your boss is probably better than putting it in your work machine.

Especially if you work at an Iranian nuclear plant.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 28, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They also prey on young academics/grad students who are desperate for some publications on their CV and either don't look into them or are just that desperate. Watching your career die because you didn't hit the right publishing milestone is awful and short circuits critical thinking.

See also those laughable history conferences in Hawaii

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My GUESS would be that you show up and they lowball you on the labor and/or pile on lots of bullshit. Like "clearing leaves in the back yard" turns out to be storm debris in a three acre field that happens to be behind their house.

A lot of the people answering those kinds of things are either illegals or don't want the cops involved in their lives, so I could easily see part of this being that at the end of a day of backbreaking labor they decide you "did a bad job" or whatever and pay you a fraction of the advertised wage.

The "food provided" angle sets off major red flags for me that their preferred work force is illegals homeless and meth heads.

As an added wrinkle I wouldn't be surprised if the people throwing these adds up essentially subcontract labor. Agree to unload a warehouse for $1500, put out advertising for people to do it for less, then gently caress them on the wages because they're vulnerable members of society. Worst case a bunch of college kids who are willing to call the cops show and you break even.

Again that's all my cynical guess.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Did an elderly person live at your house?

My wife's 95 year old grandmother gets a LOT of snail mail scams. She used to be really bad about giving the odd $20 to whatever save the children type charity hit her up, which I imagine got her on a list. Most of them now aren't even legit charities (even lovely ones) but just straight up scams. It got bad enough with the phone calls that we blew up her land line and got her a new number on a cell.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Corrode posted:

Japan is the same country which still uses fax machines heavily though.

Anyone who thinks fax machines are dead in the west has never worked in government or education.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

flosofl posted:

Or interacted with lawyers.

Financial services too. There are a whole poo poo ton of instances where a signed, faxed document is considered legally binding and an email isn't, or where email isn't considered secure enough.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tinytort posted:

Fyrefestival schadenfreude.

Remember: it's better to go next year, if the first year was successful, than to find yourself stranded somewhere and dealing with another Dashcon or Fyrefestival.

So what are these? I've never heard of it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yelp etc. is flawed and imperfect as gently caress and if you're dealing with poo poo near you absolutely you should go by what your friends say or whatever.

BUT, if you're traveling or across town or whatever it's a pretty good rough indicator.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Speaking of Google Maps, there's actually a really interesting scam involving them and locksmiths. Reply All did an episode about it...

https://gimletmedia.com/episode/78-very-quickly-to-the-drill/

The relevant stuff starts at 16:22, but I remember the first part (about Google Ad Word scams) being a decent listen too. Reply All is always good for this kind of stuff though.

What's the scam. I'm not listening to this but am curious

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Thanks

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lol, normally I wouldn't bother with a "money in africa" email but it made me laugh

Agent Josh posted:

Federal Bureau Of Investigations
Headquarters Washington Dc.
Building 935 Pennsylvania Ave.
NW WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535-0001
+1 440-332-0405

NOTICE OF ONGOING INVESTIGATION

Attn Recipient:

This is agent Josh, we were sent by the acting Director of Federal Bureau of Investigation Andrew G. McCabe, we are currently in Africa as an FBI/United States delegate that have been delegated to investigate these fraudsters who are in the business of swindling Foreigners that has transactions in Africa.
Be informed that during our investigations we found out that there is a total amount of $2.5 Million that has been assigned in your name as the beneficiary and these fraudsters are busy swindling you without any hope of receiving your fund, these are the works of the fraudsters who needed to extort money from you in the name of this transfer, We have to inform you that we have arrested some men in respect of this delayed overdue fund. We have a very limited time to stay in Africa here so I advise you urgently respond to this message.

These criminals will be caught unaware and we don't want them to know this new development to avoid jeopardizing our investigation, you need to conceal anything that has to do with this exercise to enable us get all the necessary information we required.

I will be expecting your swift response as soon as you receive this email and notify us of any message or phone call you receive from those fraudsters for us to investigate on it before you make any contact with them.

In case if found this message in spam folder, it could be due to your Internet Service Provider, ISP. So kindly move to your inbox before replying.

Regards,
Jackson Josh
International Banking Unit

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sounds more like someone looking for poo poo to come back and steal than anything else.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pilsner posted:

I'm just contesting that you call it a "scam". It's completely transparent what you get, you pay the price advertised,

I'm not so sure about this one. They loving LOOOOVE to load you up on introductory offers that end after a specific period of time and then jack the rates up massively. They also seem to call a lot during the day with those idiotic trial promotions and I have to assume they're targeting the elderly with those. My wife's two elderly grandmothers (95 and 91) both essentially got conned into signing up for a whole bevvy of poo poo they didn't need because they thought they were saving money. During the summers I work from home and every single loving call I get about upgrading my $40 internet only to $120+ (for 12 months, after which it goes up) cable, internet, phone, and cell service happens between noon and 2pm. I can not imagine young working professionals are the target group for those calls.

The way that they advertise their rates is deceptive at best.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much any car lot is a scam or a ripoff.

fixed that for you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Did you hear there's a forum that wants $10 to register an account!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The best part is the moderators are unpaid volunteers. It's scams all the way down!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I will guarantee that it happens and that they just eat whatever the annual losses are comfortable in the knowledge (probably backed up by someone doing research on this) that the ease of charging to your room encourages enough extra dining to more than compensate.

Plus, the sort of places that let you sign to your room tend also to be slightly nicer. The Holiday Inn Express next to the strip mall isn't going to bother, while the Hilton downtown probably sees a lot fewer of the sort of people who are going to duck a dinner tab.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I've had my credit card stolen twice , and in neither of those instances did it actually involve the physical theft of the card. Of course I can never be exactly sure, but they both coincided with me handing my card off to a drive through worker while driving through Florida to visit with family in the southern end of the state. I have to assume someone just took a couple quick pictures of the card, handed it back, and then went shopping after their shift.

I didn't pay gently caress all in either of those cases, either. Once I noticed bullshit charges the card companies were really good about canceling the card, issuing a new one, and blowing out anything I flagged as bogus.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Reply All is great, listened to the first 15 minutes or so and it's already been crazy. Reading out the Anonymous mantra was hilarious. Indians outside of India are generally super cool and chill people but man, India is such a hosed up hellscape you can't help but feel sorry and pissed at the same time.

lol at the guy making $1,400 a day off innocent people looking down at Americans for being rich, and also for not getting out of India.

India might not be Britain but its also not Somalia.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

General Specific posted:

Assuming this wasn't just some kind of awkward prelude to a burglary, what was this guy hoping to do? Do you live somewhere that's not locked down by a single ISP?

If he wasn't just casing the place for a burglary he probably had some cheap router he was going to try to sell as being the fancy highest tech poo poo. Get some grandma who doesn't know gently caress all and you can talk about how their old router is giving them slower internet because it isn't comparable with the fancy glass fiber laser quantum switching unit that he, as an ISP worker, just installed down the block. This would also explain why he was put out by him knowing his exact router as that implies he isn't the kind of person who can be convinced they need more gigabytes in their thruware to prevent their packets from getting bad sectors.

Frankly, it could have been both. Sell a cheap wal mart router for 5x what it' worth and while you're at it see if the TV is worth coming back for later.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MANime in the sheets posted:

Those two things are exactly why it's not a viable alternative. Very restrictive data caps and high ping times. Between my roomate and I we ballpark that we use over 1 TB of data a month and are both gamers. For some sure, 4G can substitute for a land line, but to consider it a viable option for businesses or the populace as a whole is a joke. If the caps were totally removed and $50 a month gave you unlimited data without throttling (or 200GB or 500GB or whatever Comcast is doing now) that would be a different discussion - ping becomes the only real difference at that point.

"just don't stream" also isn't a good expectation in this day and age even if you just say people shouldn't play video games.

Take education as an example: even in seated (i.e. not online only) classes it's really common for videos to be assigned as part of the homework. Being stuck on a limited speed with limited data caps can really gently caress that up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Thanks for the tip - my number wasn't in the database but my wife's was. $300 bones can buy a lot of steak from the back of cars - thanks goons!

Where did you go to check that?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

JnnyThndrs posted:

At the bottom of that link, in little letters, there's a line 'file a claim'. Click on it and it will bring you to another page, in which there's a bunch of options and a couple of them say 'check if your number is eligible'. Enter it and it'll give you the thumbs-up or down.

Mine wasn't, but my elderly father's is, I'll try to get him a few bucks.

Bah, I'm not listed. I must have gotten one of those a day back in 2011.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly I would pay a significant amount of money a month to have a phone where you had to white list numbers to be able to call you. I can't think of the last time I got a phone number out of the blue and it was a call I actually wanted. poo poo, even looking for jobs all my contacts were via email.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Corrode posted:

That's the bigger "scam" part - their tendency to pretend to people who are trusting or clueless (old people and students basically, sometimes immigrants) that they have police powers and force their way indoors.

Every time I rented in Germany I got a long lecture from the landlord or whoever I was subletting from to the effect of "they will try to barge their way in because you're foreign and they assume you don't know the law, tell them to gently caress off."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

Is there any data for the compliance rates for these TV tax programs? I wonder if the rate of return is worth it what you paid for all the equipment and salaries for the TV inspectors.

If they can farm the work out I would assume it is. The company who buys the contract to do the collections is assuming all the capitol investment and if they can stay solvent with both that and passing on a chunk of it to the state, then obviously there's a decent enough return. As far as the state is concerned it's free income without having to invest anything.

As with just about all tax farming schemes the only people inconvenienced are the tax payers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

If you're living in Somalia you could probably live like a king for the rest of your days off a $10k ransom, but people are greedy.

It doesn't quite work like that. If you're some dude with $10k in Somalia you're kind of hosed. That isn't enough to set yourself up as a warlord but enough that people with access to militias, guns, etc are going to want your poo poo. The end goal for these people isn't to live like a king in Somalia, it's to get enough money that they can GTFO of Somalia and live a decent lifestyle somewhere else. Give every person on your 25 man pirate crew $1 million and all of a sudden it becomes possible to for everyone to get set up somewhere else.

This is also why they need that single big cash out. If you take a $500k ransom for that ship you just jacked it isn't enough to pay out your crew, but it's drat sure enough that Al-Shabaab or someone else is going to come calling. Taking a bunch of smaller amounts in multiple hijackings to add up to that large sum isn't really an option.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 17, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

iajanus posted:

Not really a scam but I do enjoy having myname @Gmail.com and getting every legal document and official correspondence for every other person with my name who believes somehow that even though they've never used the address it is totally their email address so better put it on official forms.

Bonus fun when some Muppet with my name booked a holiday and used my address for the accommodation so I just clicked the "cancel" button in the confirmation email and hosed it off. Wonder what happened when they got to Bali on that trip.

Goddamn you're a prick.

I've got lastname @ gmail (no initials, firstname dot, etc) so I get all sorts of random poo poo. It's not a common last name in the US, but it's around Switzerland a fair bit. There's some swiss boat club that just loving refuses to stop sending me membership emails despite my explaining that I'm some random American in English, French, and German.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 6, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Never finance through the dealer. The entire car dealership business is built on scamming people who don't read the fine print and lock them into really lovely loans.

That's why a lot of dealership chains are so upset with Tesla selling directly from the factory to the customer and have been trying to lobby for laws against it.

I wouldn't say never, but always show up with an existing offer to finance through your bank. When we bought our last car the dealer started with some crazy loving rate (6% or something like that and we have really good credit) and only came down after we showed them our bank's offer. They wouldn't quite meet the bank rate, but agreed to knock a few thousand off if we took half a percentage point higher than the bank was offering. I did the math and we came out ahead with the discount but the higher rate. Like anything else it's a bit of leverage to use in the negotiation.

Of course all of this was over two hours of jerking each other off with "we're ready to leave" and "My manager has NEVER authorized something like this before." Goddamn I loving hate the whole car buying process and industry.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pilsner posted:

But does it have to be $5000? My last car, a 2004 VW Polo, cost the equivalent of $4500, but I live in the country with the most expensive cars in the entire world (Denmark). I can't imagine you can't find a decent daily driver from the mid-2000's in the USA for $2000 or less. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are. A few years ago the government had a program that was billed as trying to get fuel inefficient cars off the road, but which really just hosed poor people to give a sloppy BJ to the auto industry. It was called 'cash for clunkers.' I forget the details, but basically you turned in your old car and bought a new one. THe dealer gave you a guaranteed buyback based on some details about the car but usually it was between $2000 and 4,000. The dealers then got the money from the feds and they were REQUIRED to scrap the car. Since dealerships were involved there was a LOT of shady poo poo, especially when you start getting into the sketchy used car lot type places.

The upshot was that all those $500-2000 serviceable but loving junky clunkers that poor people used to drive got crushed because the gov't was frequently offering way more on the incentive than they were worth. This was basically a giant hand job to the car industry (it happened right after the '08 crash and played a big role in floating the industry until the economy bounced back) and coupled with an explosion in predatory sub-prime auto loans it put a lot of relatively poor people into new cars, for a while at least. Of course if you didn't have junker to turn in but needed a cheap car a few years latter, well, you're SOL.

If you wanted a daily driver clunker in the US right now you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $5k. I haven't shopped used cars in a while, but the last time I looked that was about where it was for something that wasn't just completely trashed and probably in need of serious repairs - and those were $2k.

edit: I just did a quick search of a few used car listings near me, and the cheapest was $3k for a 2002 GMC Yukon with 314k miles on it. The next cheapest was $4k for a 2004 Acura with 230k miles on it.

Used cars in the US are a cruel joke, doubly so if you aren't able to do the majority of the repairs that a high mileage car requires yourself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Middle school scams? I ran one.

A buddy got free lunch from the school because his family was poor. I got lunch money from my parents because we weren’t. I would buy his lunch off him for half my lunch money, leaving us both a few bucks to buy magic cards with after school. Eventually we hooked up similar poor kid / not poor kid pairs to spread the action around.

Eventually we got busted and a lecture about how it was welfare fraud.

Same thing that anti-welfare types wring their hand over people converting food stamps to drugs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Michael Corleone posted:

I got a text from some weird number to call my bail bondsman a couple of weeks ago, I don't know who the target market for this one is. I also got a text a couple days ago about a court date for some dude, maybe a criminal used to have my number, idk.

Yeah, some random dude who's in trouble with the law used to have your phone number. A few years back I was getting random phone calls in spanish asking for Eduardo CONSTANTLY. Eventually I google translated a script that basically went "Eduardo isn't here, please stop calling this number, I have this number now, please tell eduardo's friends that this isn't his number." After reading that one 3 or 4 times they stopped, so I guess it worked.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I seriously suspect that within the next 5-10 years all of our SS #'s will be compromised and the government will scramble to fix it, if they're not already. That genie is out of the bottle and it's only a matter of loving time to my eyes. Only thing keeping people secure at this stage of the game is that hardly anyone has any loving money or net worth that would make someone even bother to go through the trouble of stealing it.

I'm not even kidding.

It blows my loving mind that Steam, Blizzard, and tons of bullshit F2P MMOs offer two factor authentication to make sure your level 80 wizard with the epic Eye of Poopsocking doesn't get stolen by the Russian Mafia, yet SSNs and credit checks are just a thing.

I literally have better protections available for my PBUG inventory than my loving credit score.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah and had his ID stolen literally a few dozen times

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, my take away from that story wasn't "your friend was an idiot for being a bad counterfeiter" but "your friend was an idiot for passing off fake cash to drug dealers."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

All this is just bog standard leveraging expert knowledge to bilk people who need your service but don't know the ins and outs themselves. I've personally seen it with gunsmiths and computer repair places and my landlord has some horror stories about contractors.

gently caress, you don't even need to be a real expert. It's the same mechanic that gets people to believe all the bullshit alternative medicine woo. Someone sounds convincing enough to make them believe they're an expert and they defer to them because they want to do what's best to fix their situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loving

I've got a throw-away facebook that I use to log in to random garbage that wants one. It's literally under "Bob Smith" and is attached to an equally disposable gmail account that I have forwarded to my main email.

I got an email today addressed to Bob Smith at that throw away gmail that began with this hilarious line:

quote:

Dear Bob,

We wish to suggest you to submit application for a absolutely legitimate home based opportunity in logistics.

An ABSOLUTELY LEGITIMATE opportunity.