Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

nigga crab pollock posted:

i got a cold call from a blank number and i took it and got some DOES ANYONE IN YOUR HOME HAVE DIABETES schtick and i hung up

cue the next six months random rear end calls from random rear end numbers for diabetes, diabetes supplies, diet books, etc

most of them were cleverly disguised robocalls that i didn't realize was a robot until like 15 seconds in.

I've gotten three calls a day for the past week from a robot telling me I have...credit card problems? It doesn't ever specify. Area codes have been for Texas, Ohio, Virginia, and British Columbia. That last one was actually the first call, and I answered it out of curiosity. That was a mistake. I just want it to stop. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the first robocall i ever got on my cell phone was for a "free cruise". it was also one of those robocalls that was intelligent enough to wait for the beep on your voicemail, so every month or so i'd get another call from the same number and i'd hit play and hear the same *hoooooonk* of a big ship's airhorn. i kinda miss it. i hope that airhorn is still doing ok :ohdear:

The calls I get say "gift vacation." It sounds really awkward, and I assume there's some goofball legal reasoning to make it harder to stick them with some particular charge.

The horn might make me toss my phone.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Everblight posted:

There's actually a thriving CRT market among arcade enthusiasts due to the limitations on the hardware in like, Mortal Kombat II

Lightgun games don't and can't work with non-CRTs because they rely on precise timing of how the scanlines fill in.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I live in the only ZIP code for hundreds of miles in any direction that has no racial majority due to it being a popular spot for immigrant families from all over the world. One thing that's nice is that I haven't had to deal with any door to door solicitors for about half a decade

I suspect there are a few factors in play here. One is of course that you might run into people who you have a language barrier with. But it also wouldn't surprise me if your average dipshit scammer just isn't smart enough to sell to people who have successfully navigated the American immigration bureaucracy and started their own small business in a foreign land.

I think there's also the issue of how culture affects what strategies work on people, and which backfire spectacularly. Knowing your market is hard when your market is essentially a representative sample of the entire goddamn world.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Xander77 posted:

I'm translating a contract (despite having no accounting experience) and had to find proper translations for some accounting terms.

A bit of googling told me that the presence of terms like "Rolls and extensions" "Operative documentary letter of credit" and "International banking hours" (yes, I'm serious) probably means something scammy is going on, but none of the sources I found provided any details about the actual substance of the scam.

So... what is / could be the scam involved?

Also... should I alert my client? I'm not actually sure which side drafted the contract though.

The fact that this client is having a non accountant and presumably non lawyer translate a goddamn contract seems like a red flag. :stare:

Edit: like, I'm not a lawyer either but this smells perilously close to practicing law without a license.

What I'm getting at is plz post details in the legal questions thread.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

many johnnys posted:

I think you have to tell them not to call you anymore, and to request to be taken off their list or out of their database. Something that can't be interpreted in any way as "I'm not interested" and can only be interpreted as "I no longer wish to receive calls from you, ever".

If you can prove that you've done this and they continue to harass you, there can be legal consequences so they typically stop, although there can be a delay between when you request this and when they actually do it. It also depends on who they're calling on behalf of - overseas scammers don't give a gently caress.

Also it relies on the guy at the call center actually giving a gently caress, and the system not overwriting the flag the first time they update their scraped-from-public-data phone number database

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Peztopiary posted:

They also don't care if you lie. For a while I was a 20 year old grandma of seven. You get weird ads. I'm not sure what I am currently, but the surveys have mostly been about luxury brands I've never heard of.

A of folks say lying or picking their fictional honeypot brands dramatically decreases the number of surveys you get.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Asehujiko posted:

... front of them and furiously call the Spanish police to demand the thief be brought to justice, which leads us to the most devious part of the scam,

the part where a second accomplice swipes their phone and runs off with that as well.

Sadly, the lesson they took from this was not "I'm an oblivious tool" but "all Muslims are criminals and we should shoot them all" :(

:lol: This is great, but it needs another step, maybe "oh no, take off your pants and wave them about to flag down a passing car."

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 1, 2017

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

skateboardjesus posted:

I made sure my number was on the list about 2 months ago, if anything I get more calls now than before. I think I get between five and ten a day, always from different numbers. Robocallers really give no fucks about any do not call lists. I was thinking that it should be harder to get a phone number to combat this but telecoms can't make money thinking that way.

At this part the problem seems to be easy access to VoIP. All the calls I get have obviously spoofed info since there's no way I'd get this many calls from real phones with the same area code and first three digits as me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Lutha Mahtin posted:

nobody lives in your mythical lolbertopia where there is a perfect free market. it doesn't exist

What? He's saying it's not a scam, and he is factually correct. It may be a lovely value but that's a completely different thing.

Edit: oh hay there was another page. Look how dumb I am

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm not so sure about this one. They loving LOOOOVE to load you up on introductory offers that end after a specific period of time and then jack the rates up massively. They also seem to call a lot during the day with those idiotic trial promotions and I have to assume they're targeting the elderly with those. My wife's two elderly grandmothers (95 and 91) both essentially got conned into signing up for a whole bevvy of poo poo they didn't need because they thought they were saving money. During the summers I work from home and every single loving call I get about upgrading my $40 internet only to $120+ (for 12 months, after which it goes up) cable, internet, phone, and cell service happens between noon and 2pm. I can not imagine young working professionals are the target group for those calls.

The way that they advertise their rates is deceptive at best.

Ok, yeah, this part's scammy as hell. I'd gotten so used to turning down special offers I'd stopped noticing them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bongwizzard posted:

Maybe it's just because I've had the same phone number for 18-19 years now, but I absolutely get at least one or two random calls per year from people I haven't talked to in maybe a decade. I also get a fair number of phone calls about work from existing clients/employers giving my contact info to other people.

I maybe get two dozen spam calls a year, so hanging up on them isnt really a burden.

I get multiple a day. How the gently caress do these assholes choose targets? Median income level for that area code?

Actually, that would make a lot of sense.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HEY GAIL posted:

..., the belief that war is immoral and should be illegal), ...

Where exactly is this the standard belief?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My Gmail is two random-rear end words stuck together because I made it when I was 14 and into monkey cheese humor. It's along the lines of dirigibleabortion@Gmail.com. Whatever script scammers use apparently parses this as first name last name, because I routinely get emails that start with "Hey, Dirigible" or the more formal "Dear Mr. Abortion."

Thanks for assuming my gender, rear end in a top hat. :mad:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pilsner posted:

If you can't save up like $400 a month for 12 months (to buy a perfectly drivable $5k car), what business do you even have owning a car? Insurance, fuel, repairs, tires, taxes, and so on. This is basic economics. Owning a new car is not a human right. You could just as well argue that buying a new car that costs you, for example, $500 per month in payments, will shatter the savings you need for future medical emergencies.

If someone has less than $1000 in savings, how exactly are they putting down money on a new car from a dealership then? I'm talking against walking into a dealership and buying a car on a downpayment/loan "deal" here, and recommending buying used for cash instead.

You're a loving moron.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BigDave posted:

Just had a white van drive up to my house and offer to sell me a box of steaks.

Meat van scam lives!

I've literally told these people "sorry, I don't buy truck meat." Haven't seen them in years, though. You've made me all nostalgic.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

mostlygray posted:

There's not a lot of logic behind credit card scammers. Odds are, the spa had nothing to do with anything. My company had someone get a hold of one of our cards. They used it to buy a bunch of domains on Godaddy.com using a new account, but using our email credentials. That means that they were not able to do anything with the domains. They didn't have email login information, so they could never activate the service. They even bought a payment system service that they could never activate because, again, no login info. They created their own account, but used email credentials that they had no access to. Not sure what their end-game was. They could have used their own email address, but they chose to use one of ours. One that they could not check. Ever.

We got the money back from the bank. Godaddy refused to refund, because they wanted to be jackasses,so we had to go the fraud route. Now we own a bunch of domains like youtakepayemanteck.com (I don't recall the real names, but they were that stupid), until they expire.

That's dumb enough I almost wonder if someone mis-programmed a bot.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BiggerBoat posted:

The hell kind of nefarious suspicious activity can you get up to on loving Spotify?

No doubt they hosed up and some cc#'s leaked or some poo poo

The point of hacking accounts on Spotify or Netflix or whatever is to then turn around and try that username and password and variations of both on other sites, connecting one account with another until they can put together enough info to compromise a primary email or bank account.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EL BROMANCE posted:

The subject of probate just came up in the iPhone thread, reminds me of a charming bit of mail I received last week.

My wife passed away in hospital, accruing a hefty amount of medical debt I’m sure. (I get mail most days of ‘not a bill, just for tax records’ breakdowns). In this state that debt doesn’t get passed on to me, but thank you to CPM Direct or whatever their name is for sending me a letter asking me to confirm my details so undoubtedly they could hound, I’m sorry I meant ‘empathetically enquire if I would like to do the right thing that my wife would surely want’, me to make payments to them I’m under no obligation to.

Glad to know going through hell isn’t enough for some people. I hope everyone in that company loses someone close to them.

Did you call them up and scream? Because my voice would have shattered their eardrums, the phone, and the sky itself.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The other snag is that a lot of the systems would cost millions of dollars to replace. The shareholders point out that said systems still work so that money goes to dividends instead.

Yeah, this. Companies won't ever improve payment systems without having their arms twisted. And our government doesn't actually serve us.

I use Google pay everywhere I possibly can and avoids skimmer fuckery.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I got multiple robo calls today that spoofed my own number. The caller ID just said "voicemail." Was it a buggy auto dialer or were they hoping I'd be intrigued? :iiam:

None of the calls left a message.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dumb Lowtax posted:

He said act, not posit

They're not doing that either.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Achmed Jones posted:

Get one of the 85 apps that will block calls originating from your first 6 that aren't in your contacts. Robokiller and hiya can do this; I think at&t call protect does as well. I think every US carrier has an app for that

If you aren't using a smartphone, then I think you're out of luck unfortunately

About two thirds of my spam calls these days are from completely random numbers in one of two area codes, one being mine and the other from the opposite end of my state.

A small but growing portion are from my own drat number. The caller ID says "Voicemail."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

namlosh posted:

I use at&t call protect... the free version is pretty limited, but it’s what i use and last night I received a call that it helpfully labeled “spam”. You can then check the app and see that it’s based on X number of reports.
Crowdsourcing calls/numbers seems like it could be a good idea.
I used to google numbers and there are a couple of websites that provide feedback for phone numbers but having it in an app on your phone seems much better.

The problem is the scammers spoof random numbers. All crowd sourced reporting does is leave some rando wondering why no one returns his calls. Robocalls are going to require a fix at the infrastructure level, blocking fraudulent spoofing in the first place.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tubgoat posted:

Forgive my non-cheque-using ignorance, but isn't bouncing a thing when you first go to deposit it? Will they re-withdraw the money from your account after honoring it? Will they send pigs to retrieve the money you withdrew from the check if you no longer have a balance?

It takes time for the check to clear so they front you the money because they know they can claw it back if they need to. They will absolutely use the government is they need to.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

hyperhazard posted:

Some day I'll be in a nursing home, mind gone to jello, mumbling "Come play my Lord" and "Yesterday you said you'd call Sears."

Let me tell you about fitness made simple.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There's apparently a lady in the UK with my last name and the same first and middle initial. She periodically forgets her Gmail doesn't have the middle initial, so I get notified when her car insurance is about to expire or she orders pants from some British store.

At one point a letter showed up at my parents' house addressed to her. It came through the royal mail and contained a no poo poo paper 419 scam. It was so friggin weird my dad kept it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There's a lady in England with the same first and middle initial and the same last name. Her email address is mine with a number after it. Apparently, she sometimes forgets that number, so I sometimes get her emails. Normally it's stuff from online stores or notices that her car insurance is about to expire. I just got an email from her to me. It has no subject or body, but there's an attached mp4 file with a hexadecimal filename. There's no way I'm gonna open that file, but curiosity is kiiilllling meeeee.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HerStuddMuffin posted:

The hexadecimal file name as you say is probably because the movie was taken by a phone camera. Phones suck at naming movies and pictures. If you open it please let us know, now the curiosity is killing me too.

gently caress it, I'll do it as soon as this dumb Teams meeting is over.

Edit:
It's a one second video of the left side of an elderly woman's face. Video appears to be accidental. Why it was emailed is unclear.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 6, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This lady is the reason my father received a Nigerian prince type scam via the Royal Mail. It basically feels like a slow burn ARG.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

nonathlon posted:

Similarly, when I bought a car a few years back, the prices they listed online were much lower than the prices on the lot, maybe by 15%. I queried it and they waved it off as "special online-only prices" with lots of "not quite sure if we can offer it to you, I'll have to talk to my manager" etc. etc.

Sure would like a way of buying a car where the price is just the price and I don't have to run the gauntlet of weak excuses, added charges, weird extended negotiations and excuses ...

Yeah, next time I buy a car I'm seriously considering getting a certified check for what I think is a fair price and just slapping it down on the table. I hate dealer gently caress-gently caress games enough--and find them stressful enough--that I'm willing to forgo the opportunity for a fantastic deal to not get messed with.

But if you express this sentiment some places (like reddit) you get macho dudebros coming out of the woodwork to tell you how much they saved ~*playing the game~* which, uh, kinda highlights why said gently caress-gently caress games are still around.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Lone Badger posted:

If you don't software update then your computer actually belongs to some guy in Russia who's letting you keep using it for now.

Yeah, by all means complain about what's in the updates and then problems they cause, but if you think having to update an internet enabled device is bullshit, you're part of the reason those updates are forced.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 19, 2021

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I continue to get spam texts addressing me by a name that isn't mine asking if I'm interested in selling a property I don't own.

The thing is, the property actually exists, and used to be owned by a guy with the name in the spam. The guy still owns property so it's pretty easy to track him down. If I were a worse person I'd send the spammer a text with the guy's up to date info. If I were a much worse person I'd try to sell them the info.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EL BROMANCE posted:

Where does selling the property you don’t own land on the good/bad spectrum?

Affluent suburb of DC. Not sure about the exact neighborhood. It's absolutely a hot market so I could understand anyone looking for investment properties getting creative, but I still have no idea how they got this name or number crossed with that address. I've had this phone number since before he owned the property.

Haven't gotten any job spam. Wonder when that will start.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've been getting an increasing number of these. Did they gently caress up their spoofing software? Is it to get me to answer out of curiosity? :iiam:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tunicate posted:

Real estate market is so hot they send hand addressed envelopes to try to get people to open their lowball 'i want to buy ur house' offers.

I guess not a scam in terms of being illegal probably but still scummy

There are also machines that can do signatures, like what congress critters use to sign replies to constituent snail mail.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Per posted:

Not even opening the text IIRC, just the phone receiving it.

Yeah, a couple bugs combined with clever misuse of a compression technique basically let bad actors (the Saudi government) execute arbitrary code transmitted in image form. There was an XKCD strip about it to the effect of "when a paper includes the phrase "it turns out this is Turing complete" you're either being attacked by a government agency or about to watch a dishwasher play Doom."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I just checked my voicemail and it was nearly full because Android identifies an incoming call as spam, keeps my phone from ringing, allows it to go to voicemail, then doesn't tell me. Thanks, Google.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Doubleposting because new: got a call from +0000000000. Went to voicemail pretty quick, then left me a mostly empty message with a drawing of breath just before it ended. No idea what that's about.

I've gotten that. I think it's a would-be scammer loving up their configuration, getting an unhandled error, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I continue to get texts addressing me by a specific name and asking if I'll sell them a specific property. Googling the name, they appear to be both a real person and a former owner of the address.

I've been getting miscellaneous robo voicemails--as in different scams--addressed to the same person for years. I wish I could figure out how the hell my number got crossed with his name, because it'd be a hell of a way to gently caress with people I don't like.