Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Ytlaya posted:

Wouldn't this be a really inefficient way of scamming people, since each "attempt" costs you the money necessary to buy the USB stick.

I guess it has the benefit over e-mail that if someone does pick it up they're likely to use it, so putting it on a sidewalk or something is effectively the same as e-mailing it to everyone who walks by, though there's also the chance that someone might kick it into the street/grass or something and ruin any chances of it succeeding.

USB sticks are cheap and it can be a good way to target a specific business. Just drop a handful in the parking lot of the company you want to gently caress up or get in their system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Pilsner posted:

If you can't save up like $400 a month for 12 months (to buy a perfectly drivable $5k car), what business do you even have owning a car?

Well first you said this.

Pilsner posted:

$2000 is not a lot of money in my opinion. If you can't save up $2k over the span of a few months, why borrow money to buy a new car at horrendous rates? The money will quickly be burnt in interest and fees.

So $2000/3 months is more like $667 a month. Which is not a small amount of money for many people. Also your missing the part where they have to save that money while paying for all the things you listed (insurance etc) at the same time. It may not be a right but it drat sure is a necessity for many people and this backs them in to a corner.

By the way you sound like an rear end in a top hat when you tell people to just make more money and they won't have a problem.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Midjack posted:

Or someone with the same name as you did. Many people run with the first name that shows up in search results.

Yep. I had a guy contact me on facebook about an RV that was owned by someone with my name in 1975 despite the fact that I clearly had not even been born then.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

That's changing. I've seen more and more of the Square chip and contactless readers in the wild lately.

It costs more so some people are sticking with the dongle, but it's worth it to upgrade. We use the chip reader but have the dongle as backup.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

Sure about the name? Couldn't find it, even via google.

Try The Last Stop

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Next you'll tell me that the kindergarten teacher + body artist couple don't really have a million dollar budget!

But the marine biologist who had a $6 million houseboat custom built must be real.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

tinytort posted:

If the winds and debris don't shatter the windows, it's probably going to capsize as soon as it gets hit by waves in the wrong direction...and at that point, it's probably a rectangular glass death trap. I don't think it'd need to be particularly strong waves, either; it might capsize in light chop, or even just an ambitious breeze.

Don't worry it has giant hydraulic screws that dig in to the seafloor for stabilization. Of course this has extremely detrimental affects to sealife and the entire thing was just a big scam to get around property prices.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

duodenum posted:

Is there a big knock-off problem of scam dewalt products just openly being sold on Craigslist and fb marketplace?

My brother-in-law got a bunch of definitely not stolen Dewalt poo poo for cheap out of a storage unit.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Sanford posted:

I buy and make dice for D&D and the current hotness is hollow metal dice - they've been available for a few years but just recently at a reasonable price. Over the last few months they went from Etsy-only for genuine, handmade ones, to being widely available on Ali. Now Etsy is flooded with "genuine, handmade" hollow dice that are just purchased in bulk from Ali and resold at a 30-50% markup. Just a big old scammy circle that must happen for literally thousands of products, I happened to be close/knowledgeable enough to see this one unfold in real time.

There's a goon making dice in his basement as a full-time job and selling on etsy who sees his designs pop up as knockoffs. It sucks rear end how quick stuff gets counterfeit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

CoolCab posted:

economies of scale are a gently caress. back when i used to work distribution we always used to laugh at the fact it typically cost more to get your pallet from the dock to it's destination, then it did getting to the dock from china.

Yep. Everytime it has to be unloaded, sorted, reloaded and rerouted it costs money. That's why the big guys like to use USPS for last mile delivery of small stuff.