Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bitcoin bastard posted:

If they're already parked at the gas pump they probably do just want gas.

If they're coming up to you with a gas can, they probably don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

Often very untrue. I had a junky buddy who made a couple hundred bucks a week this way. Eventually, he'd have to switch parts of town, but our city was big enough.

The only time I've ever panhandled was when I really needed gas, and Is walked up to the station with my emergency can.

I asked one man, and he seemed happy to help, but he made sure to prepay inside with a card.

---------

As always YMMV

Gas Can Man is a real scam.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Aren't stories about how panhandlers are secretly rich and faking their mental illness like one of the oldest urban poo poo that didn't happen myths? They exist for a reason, so you can feel better about not giving bums money.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Homeless people

1. Want to be homeless.
2. Are faking mental illness.
3. Are just going to drink/gamble/do drugs/whatever with the money.
4. Are secret millionaires.

I can't remember the other ones, but people spout one of these things near-constantly. Again, I'm pretty sure these stories exist, that people are constantly saying and repeating these things, because the natural impulse when you see somebody in need is to help them. Keeping one of these ideas in your head helps you not do anything, makes it okay.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

All these CD scams just sound like a mugging with props.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

As in, if I come up to you in a clown suit, and I do nothing other than wear the suit and pressure you in a vaguely threatening manner for money until you give in, that's not "the clown scam" that's a drat robbery.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Thanks to this thread, I was paranoid to get bootleg DVDs from the bootleg guy at Atlantic City Comic Con. It didn't matter that he didn't have anything I wanted, I didn't even really look due to paranoia.
Though he did have the complete series of Are You Afraid of the Dark?

I got scammed buying some really low-quality homemade Exosquad DVDs on Ebay when I was 18 and a fool. Beware any bootleg DVD sellers, always, always. It's "paranoia" in the sense that excessive handwashing is paranoia. Beneficial even if you do it for the wrong reasons.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I used to work for a college that did research involving elderly participants. They were paid for their time, but since it was income, a 1099 firm would be filled out and the income reported to the government. Because of this they had to fill out a w-2 type form.

Every time when we got to the part during the intake interview where we had them fill out w-2 information including SSN, there was a 50% chance they would get upset and even walk. One guy even looked like he was about to punch me. To be sure, we were at a state college, they were were on the campus and had been given a lot of forms relating to a real study, including lead scientist, relation to the college, etc, and they were talking to a research assistant with a visible identity badge. I guess the AARP does a good job educating folks about identity theft.

That or a high portion of older people have been scammed at least once.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Like I said upthread, it's a mugging with props.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

drunk asian neighbor posted:

did you actually read the link or are you just patting yourself on the back for some weird reason

It can be both!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

200 is a carton, and he's talking about six cartons. Looks like a little over.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm not an expert but every Buddhist thing I've studied is against guilting people into giving of themselves. The concept I am familiar in Vipassana meditation is called dana, which my meditation teacher says is (paraphrasing here) the idea of generosity: the idea of giving freely and receiving freely too. There may not be an exact equivalent in all other schools of Buddhist thought, but the idea that you should not try and take advantage of others' generosity is very consistent with the Four Noble Truths, one of the core teachings of the Buddha.

I have some knowledge of buddhism, but only the traditions of Tibet, and from what I can remember begging is cool, and good. It's a spiritual thing that monks and pilgrims do. The begging bowl is practically a sacred object. Hustling people for money and forcefully conning them into greater "donations" is definitely not okay.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've had this idea for years: a service that helps you stage photographs of you doing wonderful things that you could use for the purpose of getting a job or for your social media profiles or whatever. Our guarantee: no Photoshop, only honestly fake pictures. There would be a sliding scale of costs: you helping an old lady across a street would obviously be a cheaper picture than you teaching a class of third-world children how to read.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

froward posted:

can you get a picture of me riding a bear, leading a cavalry charge onto ISIS trenches?

No request we can't fulfill.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

B-b-but why didn't tell that before I gave them my bank details????

No, I figured it was a scam but it took me about 20 seconds to figure it out. Usually I can do it in less than 5. It would be mildly plausible to some people as "HM Revenue & Customs" is an official name - shame the sender address is actually "manageacc@dgdgdgdwhateverfhfhfhf.edu" though. Points deducted for that. Most householders in the UK pay some form of council (local) tax and while refunds are uncommon they are not implausible. But there are obvious red flags which show it is fake. I wouldn't be surprised if a reasonable number of people fell for it though. And not greedy, want-earn-money-for-nothing types, just ordinary taxpayers. :(

What a waste of council tax
We paid for your hacks

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Aren't those things just scams to get people's personal data to sell to marketers and stuff?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Celery Face posted:

There's this aggressive crackhead in my city who has been using the same "My dad is a chief at an up island reserve and I need just ten bucks to stay at the hostel" story for years now. He once called me a stuck up bitch (fittingly enough, he has a fedora and a greasy ponytail) for ignoring him after he told me to smile. Even the other panhandlers think he's a dick apparently.

That sucks because in any front facing business you need to be friends with your coworkers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bogan King posted:

The other panhandlers are his competition though not his coworkers so them not liking him could just be professional jealousy.

There are two ways to look at this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The real lesson is to just loving pay people what you owe them and if you can't then come clean and give an honest explanation rather than just hoping everything is going to work out somehow.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm always amazed by how many people think it's some kind of government organization.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's because it stands to reason that there should be. Also it has "Bureau" in the name.

But it's just so incredibly easy to find out that it's a business/scam.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

froward posted:

Hey just posting to say I haven't kept up with the thread at all, but if there's anything you guys want me to edit into the op let me know via pm or irc.

I think it's great to have a shop talk thread but all the machining is very far over my head.

We have such fabulous opportunities to show you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The lesson from the last 15 years is that people are willing and genuinely want to pay for their content, but they aren't willing to jump through a million hoops or pay more than they think the service is worth. This lesson has been entirely lost on content providers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you're extremely paranoid, even nice hotels will let you use a debit card at check-in. They don't want to do it, they'll put a big hold on your bank account which could last for weeks after you check out, and you won't be able to charge anything to your room, but, hey, nobody else will either.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Yes, this would be exactly what I'm referring to.

Again, how does using a debit card for your hotel room make you "paranoid," and not just "really, really dumb?"

I don't see a difference.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Please donate at the $10 level so I can just get a couple of bucks for the bus to go see my sick mother at a job interview.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Michael Corleone posted:

My dad has Lifelock, I told him he is dumb but he has NEVER had his identity stolen, so it works. I swear I made this same post in this or another thread like a year ago.

A real life example of the rock that keeps tigers away.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Mafia guy, shareholder, potato, potahto.

The major difference is if a mafia guy breaks your legs you're going to heal a lot faster than it takes for something negative to fall off your credit report.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The gas can is just a prop, gas can men want money.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Capital One sends an email if I give a large tip at a bar or restaurant. That's hypervigilance!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

The BBB is a shakedown racket that belongs in this thread as content.

Yeah they are the worst and their persistence in the American public consciousness is incomprehensible.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I consider it more of a feature than a bug to keep everyone who takes the BBB seriously out of my customer pool, but that's just me

You are insanely naive if you actually think there's a government agency with teeth that enforces best practices and protects consumers. Probably a good mark.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Don Gato posted:

At this point in time I'm pretty sure telemarketers know more about where I live and my job than my own family does.

We're beginning to enter a phase where, eventually, companies will have so much information about people that they will know you better than you know yourself. Every advertising experience will involve you having a crushing epiphany about yourself, coming to grips with a savage Truth. Every store will be full of people crying and frantically texting their loved ones while they try to buy some new shoes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hi hello I would like to ask/know what the thread opinion is on STAR CITIZEN

Thanks and namaste

It's a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

He promised a game where you could live in a sci-fi space world, and be a cool dude there. This appealed to sad people, who were duly separated from their money.