Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

codo27 posted:

We then went and met these bunch of...lets say...urban looking gentlemen, one of which leaned in the window and asked if I wanted to buy any weed, in retrospect I should be glad I guess that he kindly accepted the refusal and they all didn't rob/kill me, probably because I was rotten and driving a lovely old dirty Mazda 323 and did not exude wealth

Please describe what you mean by 'urban'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

The moment someone uses the word "Toxins" and they aren't wearing hazard gear or are a safety officer you can immediately ignore anything they say next because it's 99.9% bullshit.

This is excellent advice. Essential oils are constantly being touted as being super healthy. There's no proof for it, and in fact many essential oils can be pretty nasty, much moreso than the stuff they call "toxic".

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

jase1 posted:

I don't know how relevant these would be to the thread but I have a couple of pool hustling cons that I have done and been apart of if you guys are interested.

:justpost:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

I think what makes it a scam they are not out and our extorting money out of you with a threat of violence, they're just using unspoken intimidation which is vastly harder to prove were to come to court.

It's a scam, but it's similar to a mugging in that it threatens something bad if you don't give them your money. With a mugging it's the threat of violence, with the CD scam it's the threat of being publically shamed for not buying something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
There's apparently one near me, I'm almost tempted to flatten my laptop to see what's on it and then flatten it again once I'm done.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I checked the website on the guy's tabard and couldn't find it but maybe I misremembered it. I'll update you.

Here is another for Britgoons (but might apply elsewhere). Just had an email from "HM Revenue & Customs" headed "Council Tax Refund". Basically:

"Dear email address
You are entitled to £219.67 refund on your council taxes.
Click here [link to fdhgsdhgasuyieyiue.com website] to fill in your claim form."

Red flags are:
a) If you know my name from my tax records, why are you calling me dfghjkdfghjk.gmail?
b) Why is your link not to a website ending "gov.uk"?
c) Why, if I pay my council tax to my local council, is central government offering to refund me the money?

Answer: big fat scam, maybe?

It's a scam for sure. They'll be all like oh hey turns out we need your banking details! you know, to give you your money, totally not to steal your account at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Corrode posted:

This happens a lot. Every few years someone tries it for a huge number and gets paid and it ends up in the news, but generally they scam a few hundred out of a government department or giant corporation for which the amount of money isn't even a rounding error.

The other side of it is supplier fraud, where someone on the inside sets up a fake supplier and pays themselves at just under their own approval limit. Generally they get caught because they're stupid and e.g. put through £40k of new laptops and someone eventually goes "where the gently caress are these laptops we supposedly ordered?" but realistically anyone smart and restrained enough could probably get away with it.

If I was doing it I'd make up small transactions of things that nobody will notice aren't there either because they already use up a lot of them or they're small enough not to notice. Printer supplies, shipping crates, mice and keyboards for their computers, that sorta thing.

edit: Even better, actually fill a stockroom with the things but you charge a big markup or something.

Slime fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 20, 2017