Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
For some reason, drugs and Tide theft/scams go hand in hand in a lot of areas. Like, straight-up trading stolen Tide for drugs sometimes. Though if your dealer is a whiny baby who insists on bring paid in cash, you can attempt to return the Tide, but that's risky since they might have you on camera stealing it in the first place, so you got to do the ol' Tide switcheroo.

Buy Tide and the cheapest, most generic detergent there is, like Xtra or Purex. Dump the Tide into an empty container, dump the Purex into the Tide container, then return the "Tide" for profit. Only like $8 or $10 profit, but do it a few times at a few different stores and even after subtracting gas money or bus fair you can make enough for a few days worth of your drug of choice easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Fruits of the sea posted:

On this note online sttorefronts (usually for MMO's, browser games and mobile apps) that let you purchase bundles of in-game currency, but price everything at odd amounts. Users are forced to pay for more digital currency than they need or can use.

Hell, wasn't Microsoft (and I think Nintendo?) pulling that sort of "scam" back in the day with the X-Box "points" or whatever they called them?

Sony just priced things in their store in actual dollar amounts, and you paid what it cost at checkout. But MS priced everything in "points" that were like a 10 to 1 or 100 to 1 ratio of points to dollars or some poo poo like that. But you could only buy points in "blocks" of, say, 1,000 points each or something, and games, avatars, X-Box Live subscriptions, etc... were all priced in an odd amount of points, so you'd always end up with leftover points that you couldn't use until you finally bought enough other things that your "leftovers" were enough for a small game that would cost like $5 or $10.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I forget which service it was but the point chunk that was labeled "best deal!" actually turned out to cost twice as much per point as any other point chunk.

They never said it was the "best deal" for you.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, sounds like a variant on Ransomware. Some of the "lighter" ones just infect you with a lot of those pop-ups and fake warnings and poo poo, making just regular tasks nigh impossible and are troublesome to remove.

The nastier versions, like Cryptolocker, encrypt your file system. Very nasty, and they only fix is to have a recent backup (offsite, or at least on an external drive that is either unplugged or that Cryptolocker can't get to) to restore to.