Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Wolf of Wall Street. Wall Street. Boiler Room.

That Bootsy Collins flick that was just released seems like it uses the phone scams as it’s set piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

Boots Riley wrote and directed Sorry To Bother You if that's what you're thinking of.

jfc I hosed that one up. Yeah, that’s exactly the one.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

There was a show (Food Lab maybe?) that did a “blind” taste test with a bunch of random people and Chinese food. After everyone had finished eating, they announced that half of the room had MSG in their food and the other half didn’t. A good portion of the people in the MSG side reported having head and body aches as well as other assorted symptoms, and none of the people in the other side reported anything.

Then they revealed that there was no MSG in any of the dishes on either side of the room.

edit: Food Detectives with Ted Allen

synthetik fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 16, 2019

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

When was funeral director not another way of saying casket salesman?

My uncle has been a mortician for 30+ years and was talking about this the other day. I guess in 2007/8 there was a giant mega-corp that was pushing the “pre-need” super hard for years, and when people started using the plans enmasse, they went belly-up and brought down the entire industry. That’s when you had all the news stories about people being dug up and plots resold.

From his point of view he stopped being a funeral director and became a glorified sales person when pre-need plans started.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

Right, except for all the people that can’t get what they paid for because the company they purchased from went out of business or was sold in a bankruptcy auction. There’s a lot of people(‘s families) that got screwed.