Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

MONFY WAS FRAMED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I'll combine scams and schadenfreude into this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3617857/Woman-half-nose-cut-herbal-remedy-used-skin-cancer-ROTTED-face.html NOT WORK/MIND SAFE

The end result of "The internet knows better than the FDA"

I wouldn't recommend using herbal remedies for anything, let alone cancer, but you shouldn't believe anything you read in the daily mail unless you've seen it confirmed by a reputable source.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

Tide is easily flippable? Why? Because it's expensive and you can sell it cheaper because it's stolen?

http://nymag.com/news/features/tide-detergent-drugs-2013-1/

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

grack posted:

Primerica is better described as a financial services company that works like a real estate firm. They're legitimate and they'll hire just about anyone but to make a living you have to work your rear end off as a commissioned salesman or recruit others to do the same.

The fact that MLM schemes are generally legal does not make them legitimate. They are at best legal scams.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Maw posted:

What about putting strange USB sticks in my mouth though?

Make sure just to take a small lick. Crypto lockers have a ferric taste while spyware comes with a tinge of sulphur

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

grack posted:

What if it tastes like hobo pee?

Usually indicates a trojan.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just go to the library, either publlic or university. All the ones I've been to have available computers with working USB ports. I flat out assume those need to be reimaged monthly due to their user bases so it's not even that dick a move.

As mentioned above, it's definitely a dick move. Even if you rule out a computer-smashing USB drive, just installing a keylogger on a public computer is pretty dangerous

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

sleppy posted:

That really just saves the hacker the trouble of going out and putting it on that public computer themselves. You should assume every public computer is insecure since who knows what other people put on it knowingly or not. In our labs on campus the computers are fresh each time they boot, so I usually restart one if I'm putting in any somewhat important passwords.

You should, but I'm not particularly confident that any given library computer will be handled properly, let alone that its users will be careful. (and, as mentioned, you could also just wreck the computer if someone's being a dick)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I'm sure these conferences don't care about accepting bullshit, because plenty of people are probably happy to pay them for the resume padding, because academia is full of bullshit hurdles like that.

Scam conferences are worthless for resume-packing, putting one on your resume actively makes it worse

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

They also don't generally refund your council tax since the sum is per year, they just adjust your payment scheme so you give them less for a while.

They definitely do refund it if you move out of the area, though.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

the important thing to remember when evaluating plausibility here is that yahoo is the single dumbest tech company in the world

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what are these? I've never heard of it.

dashcon was a tumblr convention which went about as well as you'd expect from the words "tumblr convention"

fyre festival was supposed to be a high-end music festival, and was sponsored by a bunch of famous people, which ended up with a bunch of rich people turning up on an island where their "luxury accommodation" was FEMA disaster tents and their "gourmet catering" was like ham sandwiches and I think none of the actual acts turned up because the organisers didn't pay them

afaik both of them started out with incompetence, not scamming, but the organisers ended up pulling some illegal poo poo as they grew more desperate

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Helpful fact 1:
ANYONE can place a hold on your mail. The USPS will ask for some credentials if you show up at a branch, but NOT if you use the website. It lets any address be input, and they can even put in bullshit for the other info (phone number and name) and the hold request still works.

Hold mail on the website requires a credit card with that address, doesn't it? Maybe they had already gotten a credit card in your name, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Someone just signed up for a VPN service with a credit card that isn't mine, a name that definitely isn't mine, and... my rather distinctive, afaict uncompromised (although I changed the password and checked devices just in case) email address. Which means that now that I reset the password to get in and make sure it wasn't my credit card, they won't be able to access the service they just spent $60 on. :raise:

I reported it to the service so I don't get in trouble but I don't think I understand the master plan here.

The service is ExpressVPN which appears to be a pretty legitimate VPN company, and even if it's a complicated ploy by the VPN company to steal/launder money... why use a real person's email address instead of a throwaway?

unless your address is so weird that you can't imagine anyone having that address plus a number or whatever, I'd say the most likely answer is that someone typo'd their own address as yours