Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Totally turbofucked, yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Sydin posted:

Very first thing that happened when I stepped out of the airport in Naples was the cab I took trying to charge me 70 euros for a ~2 mile trip across town to my hotel. Unfortunately I was jet lagged as gently caress and did not share a language with the driver (he wrote the amount on a piece of paper and handed it to me) so I just ended up paying it instead of getting into a fight with somebody I couldn't communicate with. I'm sure as a lone international traveler fresh off the plane with bags under my eyes I looked like the easiest mark in the world, and lo and behold I was!

Italy was just absolutely full to the brim with scammers on the prowl for tourists, it was ridiculous. Naples in particular - presumably because it's such a popular destination for international tourists - but Rome had it pretty bad, too. Meanwhile on the same trip I also spent time in Vienna and Copenhagen and encountered nothing of the sort, unless it was hidden from me exceedingly well and/or I was just a dumb dumb.

Rome at least now has fixed taxi charges from the airport to popular destinations, which have to be prominently displayed and adhered to.
But my experience is along the same lines as yours - place I was ripped off the most was definitely Napoli. Taxi driver drove us in an entirely roundabout route and charged us something ridiculous. When we told the guys in the office we were visiting how much we'd been charged they laughed their asses off, then told us they'd take over and book all taxis for us in the future!