Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My Brother's father-in-law is one of the few people who actually make money from Amway. His territory is mainly in China, and through a translator, he pitches Amway to rural Chinese. I can't imagine how he justifies earning his living from scamming the folks who can least afford it. Something like %97 of Amway sellers end up loosing money. I've only ever met him at my brother's wedding, but I wish there was something I could do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

BiggerBoat posted:

I doubt it.

Typically what happens is they show you a check they got but neglect to mention all the money they themselves spent buying bullshit and attending seminars. It's a rebate of sorts. They might get a check for a thousand dollars or something but almost always they've spent 5 times that much to get it.

I'd be interested to see the guy's actual tax returns.

No, really. It's what he does for a living. For like the last 20 years. I think he's just high enough in enough pyramids that he genuinely makes money. It's just that he does it by lying to poor people. He's possibly a sociopath, or he keeps his emotions behind a ton of mental walls. When you talk to him, you get a distinctly fake personality.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

BiggerBoat posted:

Still not buying it. I'd love to see his tax returns and how much of his money comes from selling motivational tools and bilking suckers into attending conventions over actually running a business.

No, you're not understanding. He sells Amway. Not Amway products. He brings new sheep in for the slaughter. I mean, he might buy a product package for show, but he doesn't make money selling the products. He makes money from the people under him, that he recruited, buying products to sell. He really is in the 3% that makes money, off the backs of people who really can't afford it.

His wife's a kindergarden teacher, but they managed to put two kids through college and live pretty drat well. I don't think he's making millions, but he's probably pulling in at least six figures.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Xequecal posted:

Well, it looks like MyEcon sells other things besides questionable tax advice, like these discs the same co worker was gushing about today:

I'm a little late on this, but I tried to google what entrainment actually is. It's the movement of particles by a liquid or gas. So these discs are powered by the same concept as flushing poo poo in a toilet. Great, I'm sold.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
THe last energy scammer that came to my door pretended he had some pre-existing deal my husband had already agreed to. I must admit it took me a couple of confused questions before I realized it was an energy scam. It's kinda impressive he got as far as he did before I told him to get the hell off my property. I guess most couples don't talk to each other about utility bills.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
When I had JW soul solicitors come 'round my place, I politely said I was an atheist, and no thank you. Once they didn't listen to that, it was on. I'd happily talk about the biblical minutiae for hours, whilst they had to stand in the cold. I'd be indoors, wrapped warmly in a blanket. I figured the longer I kept them busy, the less people they would bother.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Wow, my friend just got hit with the “There’s a warrant out for your arrest” scam. The guy claimed to be a sheriff’s deputy, wanting to talk to her about missing a summons for federal jury duty. The interesting part is that he had her previous address, which happened to be on the same street, making it seem quite possible that a piece of mail was sent to the wrong place. Fortunately, she went straight to the local sheriffs’ office to take care of it in person, instead of waiting for the guy to call her back. She actually called him from inside the building, trying to find him. He said that he would have to arrest her if they met in person, but he felt bad about everything, and hmm, isn’t there a Walgreens nearby? Before he could get to the monetary part, a sharp volunteer caught what was going on and made her hang up the phone.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I'm just disappointed that a place called "big toys" does not, in fact, sell toys that are giant sized. I wanna send my nephew a giant t-Rex or something when he turns two.

On topic, I was at my parents' place when my Dad got a scam call from folks claiming to be from Bank of America. Fortunately my Mom stopped him from doing anything stupid, but I imagine that just by actually remaining on the line instead of hanging up, he's put himself up as a good target. He's 80+ years old with worsening frontal lobe dementia. He's still functional enough to be angry when I suggest he stops driving so I very much doubt he'd let me take away his cellphone. What the heck do you do to protect the elderly from scam calls?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
That's an idea I never thought of. That just might work. He's more likely to notice than most, given that he was in IT for much of his life, but maybe there's one that's innocuous looking....

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
They're counting on people just calling back without taking a close look at the number. It's odd to me, because if anyone called me and hung up after one ring, I'd assume they dialed the wrong number and realized they misdialed right away. Maybe they're just hoping someone is curious. They also will call and "one ring" over and over, so people will call back just to tell them to stop.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
If you have to ask if it's rigged, the answer is almost always "yes". I can't think of many exceptions...the state lotteries perhaps?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I just think that anything that's essentially gambling needs to be marked as so with the odds. It would kill my former employer who did coin-op, but I hate that so much poo poo is "percentaged" but appears as skill. It may sound silly, but isn't it kinda scummy to run a claw machine without disclosing that it's impossible to win most of the time?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I gotta echo that it's probably just someone not into retro games. Seems weird to take anything like that to a physical store in the first place. What are they gonna do if someone shows them one on eBay for $150? They'd still be idiots to buy it that price because they have to resell it at a profit. Plus they they either have to get on EBay themselves, or get lucky with a local buyer. All that for a $50 profit?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I just got the best scam phone call. In a text-to-speech voice, I was informed that they had “Discovered my drug carrier” and knew it “was under your name”. I had to laugh out loud. Something is so hilarious about that phrasing. Like the drug guy was taking reservations. Or kept extensive records on who asked him to mule what drug. “Let’s see…Smith….Smith…ah you had the ten pounds of pot to Dallas? It will be a small wait, we are preparing the table right now.”

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I want to order a Self-Righteous sandwich and a Holier-than-thou bowl of soup please.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Well, my dad got conned by a PayPal phishing scam, and was on the phone with them for an hour and a half. I’ve nuked his phone from orbit, canceled all credit cards, and advised my parents to get identity theft protection. One thing I don’t understand though: they had him open a PayPal credit card account, and then had him send money to my brother. What was that about? All I can think is that the card probably asked for a social security number when you apply for it, and because they were remote accessing his phone, they could see what it was when he entered it. Still not sure why the next step was to send money to someone else. Anyone have any ideas? It’s making me nervous…

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Neito posted:

I had someone call my phone to offer me services for my website and I pretended I didn't know what the internet was. He told me I was being "Very mature, gently caress you" and hung up.

Kitboga has more than a few videos of scammers in a frothing rage and breaking stuff near their workstation when he does his schtick. Usually redeeming the cards.

Have you seen the new video on the system he created to frustrate scammers and waste their time? It’s beautiful. He makes the scammers think they’ve succeeded by giving them a supposed code for bitcoin. When they try to redeem it, they get a slow as hell progress bar that eventually errors out, and tells them to call a helpline. The wait time is like 80 minutes, and then it randomly dumps the caller into a plausible recording, mimicking a support tech unable to hear the call, or a transfer to a voicemail. Then it asks for the caller to take a survey on how their experience was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I actually had a problem with a big check going to my credit union. I liquidated some stocks to pay for a new air conditioner for my house. The account was in both my and my mother’s name. It had been that way since I was a minor, and I never removed her from it. I have sad brain problems and wanted her to have access if I ever needed emergency treatment.

I sold the stocks, and the check they mailed me was in both our names. I tried to deposit it at my credit union, and they refused. Because it was in both our names, and my mom didn’t have an account there. Could she sign it off? No. Could she open an account? Not without a processing period. Meanwhile, the installation was scheduled the next day.

Could I withdraw all the funds I had with the credit union? Sure. Did it matter that the account was in both my and my husband’s name? Not an issue, he didn’t need to be present. The amount fell short though. They’d be happy to give me a loan though. Just with $259 in ffees.

I finally just said gently caress it, and borrowed a couple grand from my father in law for a few days. Banks.They’re very very strict if it could lose them money. Not so much the other way around.