Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In other cases it's just dying old people that medicine can't help hoping they can buy a miracle. Granted there are also far too many heartbreaking stories about a person that medicine could have helped giving all their money to a scam artist instead because God can totally cure you better than a doctor! Then they don't get better, are out a ton of money, finally go to the doctor anyway, and be told it's too late to do anything and you should have come sooner.

I hope when my time comes, I still have enough of my faculties and there's a service I can irrevocably sign up for that automatically puts my decisions through some sort of basic sanity check for scams and miracle cures. Who the gently caress needs to speculate after 70 unless it's effectively just play money? I'll probably lose my poo poo and violently disagree when the time comes though I've not actually had to go through anyone doing that myself because my family tends to die suddenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

Wait wait wait

What is this "locked down by a single ISP" malarkey

I guess you could say it's a common scam :smug:

In a great many parts of the US, residents live in areas with a single ISP having a functional monopoly over internet service.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So... anyone know any sub prime auto loan companies looking for more equity?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EorayMel posted:

A few days ago I got a call from a number I didn't recognize.
I let the call go to the answering machine and there was a rusty woman robot voice telling me about how I needed to press 1 to call the operator or press 2 to face the consequences because my IP address has been compromised by hackers in several different countries. The robot voice also made a screeching stutter when it said the word "countries."

And no. The number never called back.

You just need to send them an iTunes gift card and they'll take good care of you.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you also have to give up a percentage of your company to even go on the show, since yeah it's a huge advertisement for your business. after i learned that it made a lot more sense why so many of them refuse to make a deal with the "sharks"

Please tell me that's only if they actually get air time, I'm pretty sure not all the presentations make it to live TV.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Software just gets continually more complex and demanding so old equipment will seem like it slows down, especially as you install more stuff. It's a fact of existence really.

The only reason this happens is because the hardware is able to keep up with the inefficiencies. As hardware improvement slows down, devs will be forced to focus on optimizations again ahead of features.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

teh winnar! posted:

Different, but related, many banks use some predatory techniques with their cards (remember me talking about balance transfers earlier? If you buy something on the card you've used for BTs, your payments go for the BT first, leading to your purchases accruing at the higher rate until all the transfer is paid off) which lead to a credit card not being such a good deal.

I thought this practice in particular was made illegal a couple years back?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Holyshoot posted:

A good scam imo.

Taking advantage of people who are, perhaps, predisposed to racism based on political alignment but who are obviously willing to see past that? What do you see as the positive outcome here? Because I see this as likely to create more racists.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah we have to be nice to the racists or they'll get worse

Donating money to a black woman is racist? I don't think that word means what you think it means. This woman just victimized the people most sympathetic towards fighting racism in the party.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MightyJoe36 posted:

This is what I do now. I only answer calls from my contacts. The rest can go to voicemail.

Some of these fuckers leave voicemails now.