Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

didn't know they farmed almonds in Manchuria

You've never had chicken with almonds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I’m a Muslim woman named mirna hadid who is very interested in weed gummies and online lotteries.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sanford posted:

I just got a call from "Amazon" saying that there was a problem with my Visa card ending XX. They got the card wrong, but they had my name and knew that I signed up for Prime last week. I just contacted Amazon and they went no, not possible, must be a coincidence. What gives?

My vote is that it was a coincidence.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's the new salvia now that it's illegal most (all?) places. Except now it's dumber and worse.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

It's not my number, but I'll black it out anyway. I think sometimes active phone numbers can be spoofed.

They can! Not only have I received annoyed calls and texts from people who got my number spoofed at them, I’ve also received spam calls from my own number.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Phone scammers are the goddamn rudest/angriest people when called out, and I don't know if it's because the type of person who takes that job is naturally an rear end in a top hat, or if working conditions are so bad that they're constantly on edge. I have a feeling it's a little of both.

I called out some guy who contacted me on linkedin to try to sell me crypto as running a scam and he ranted at me for 45m then reported me to linkedin.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
After a few calls from a number I decided to google it to make sure it was a spam call as it's from the same state but doesn't share an area code with my phone number or current residence.

So I looked up the most unintentionally creepy auto-generated transcript for a robo-call that I've ever seen in my life.

https://www.nomorobo.com/lookup/210-899-6448

quote:

Transcript
Eyes go into their eyes go into their I'm sorry lady or the man of the house their place.

that's definitely not what it's saying, but I was very unnerved when I read that transcript.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/snow_blacck/status/1381963491955900417?s=21

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
When I was much younger and desperately between jobs I worked at a ‘call center’ that ended up being scam calling people for a ‘police charity’ with similar numbers (if you see people with the 100/200/300 ribbon stickers on the back of their car for police/fire that’s them)

I worked there for one day - the guy in charge said to play up my usually faint Texan accent and to speak slowly and authoritatively as if we were sheriffs ourselves. I have never felt more disgusting walking out of a day of work than I have at that place. And they had a (likely illegal) ‘must work 2 weeks or you forfeit your pay’ thing going on that I was too skeeved out to fight or care about.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Why? For those of us who aren’t maritime competent. It doesn’t look too much less stable than a pontoon or something. In shallow water it’d be fine, right?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's just waves and your time is up, my wife and I were bombarded a week and a half ago but it's relatively quiet right now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

This is not even close to the same thing as what you posted earlier.

Gotta save face somehow after getting dunked on by the entire rest of the thread for being a stupid piece of poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

Saving face implies I care about half the thread's bad opinion

whoa! Watch out for that edge, y'all!!!!! We've got a stone cold seventeen year old atheist posting in the thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sanford posted:

This is what I think about Ali. Looking at a fake lego man or whatever, someone had to copy it, manufacturer it, pack it, pick it for the order, bag it up, ship it half way round the world via half a dozen different carriers... and it's cost me 90p. How is anyone making money off something like that?

Lego is both using more expensive plastic and also massively overcharging you.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I just got a brand new scam.

I received a text that reads - You just sent Miguel $15.99 if this is in error please click (not-that-obviously-fake Paypal link) to cancel or confirm.

Pretty sneaky, as I feel a lot of people would autoclick 'I didn't send anyone named Miguel money!!!'

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, one of the earliest scam calls I remember is some guy being like 'Hey is (relatively uncommon random name) there?'

With the response, no matter what you said being, 'Oh well maybe you can help me...' before launching into the spiels.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Anyone else start getting endless spam texts starting a week or two ago? I'd almost never get them and then suddenly *bam*

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I continue to get texts addressing me by a specific name and asking if I'll sell them a specific property. Googling the name, they appear to be both a real person and a former owner of the address.

I've been getting miscellaneous robo voicemails--as in different scams--addressed to the same person for years. I wish I could figure out how the hell my number got crossed with his name, because it'd be a hell of a way to gently caress with people I don't like.

I have two of these.

One is a deeply conservative MAGA named Roy.

One is a very devout Muslim woman named Mirna.

It leads to a very strange cross-section of spam texts/calls.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thrakkorzog posted:

I'll admit, I'm a bit weak on the slurs. "Please stop calling me," doesn't work.

On the other hand, screaming that I support nukes for Pakistan, let's just wipe Mumbai off the loving map already, it's full of loving wogs, only cuts down on the calls by like 10%.

OK, I pulled that number out of my rear end.

Past a certain point when you're hurling racist slurs against people you have nothing against aside from them calling you, the slurs are kind of weak.

I just figure I asked nicely, but after that, Argle bargle racist BS comes into play.

It's been said but it cannot be overstated how weird and lovely this is lmao.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I just closed a mortgage loan on my house and have been inundated with URGENT: TIME SENSITIVE junk mail that looks like it's from the mortgage company telling me I'm eligible for a free life insurance policy. I finally called the lender because I got like 10 of these things and they assured me they don't offer life insurance. I don't know what the angle is but I assume it's trying to get me to give personal information and poo poo related to the money. Which is a serious red flag because obviously my lender knows just about anything there is to know about me, as anyone who's gone through that process can attest.

loving scammers man.

they are 'real' companies that are trying to prey on you being a new homeowner who is worried about themselves/their family.

That are definitely scams, my realtor even warned me about them when we bought our house.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There's even a ballad about corrupt towing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF3q7o8Yjrg

They really went in a new direction after Chester died, huh?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

My FIL paid him what he agreed to so the guy started trash talking him around town as a dead bear so my FIL went into his office, tossed an extra 50% on the desk, and dramatically told him that was the end of it in front of everyone.

I love this typo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Why hasn't Australia evicted everyone then?

you've got it backwards, australia is where they sent the people of bad moral character.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I get this but 'Roy'. and I just assume it's them trying randomly with some common name or name that somehow became associated with your number/data. It's literally not worth their time to even verify whether you have property or are that person, it costs them next to nothing to just keep dialing even if you make it clear it's the wrong number. And renting/buying/real estate is basically just 60% scams.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, 'real' antivirus software isn't that far away from antivirus software scams, except it's easier to get your computer back to normal after a run in with the scammers.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Usually when they do that for me they put the number at the end so I call asking what they want. Or would if I was dumb.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wtf I read about this then got the emails literally 5m later.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Can you tldr for those of us who deleted Twitter?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Bee grade, surely.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Good.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sucks, they make the world actively worse and prey upon the elderly, infirm, lonely, and those new to technology. I have sympathy for their situation, I'm just also ok with it not working and them getting toyed with.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

We have those emails monthly. We are also a financial institution so I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect employers not to be idiots with security.

I work for a company that makes training for financial institution types, none of our information or knowledge is secret it's literally just repackaging law updates, statues, etc. into slightly more easily digestible forms.

I (and everyone else) receive 1-3 phishing test emails a day.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

As if goons know anything about grooming.

Mods(?! or . Your call)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My wife has her (uncommon in the US, very common in Sweden and Finland) first name as her gmail account and she gets no end of old Finnish/swedish lady emails. And every now and then someone else in the US who is part of a group of friends who travel together. She's reached out to the nordic ones a few times when it was like hospital records and important stuff, and they've understood, but the lady's group in the US just keeps re-adding her to the list even when she replied all and let them know randomly informing strangers of your addresses and dates you'll be out of town is a bad practice, or that we're flattered but don't intend to go to the lady's family reunion.

Like how hard is it to know whether you have an email address or not? This seems like a really common problem from this thread alone.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

peanut posted:

I texted somebody that her phone bill was going to my email address and got a very sassy "No you should change YOUR address because I'm not going to accommodate you".

Cancel the phone account.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I sure as hell will not give out a free sample of my voice for no reason, so my voicemail greeting (which I'm apparently not even allowed to disable?) is just a speech to text voice saying something like "this voicemail is not in use. Please send a text message or an email instead"

Your username makes me doubt how security conscious your post claims you are.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

And this is where I disagree; you're making a claim about me based on no evidence other than assertion, then claiming that I'm arrogant because I don't believe that some stranger on the internet knows me better than I know myself. How on earth would my mother having a health emergency going to lead to 'need to give a bag of cash to someone in a car, so need to empty my savings account and ignore the person at the credit union who tries to stop me'? Hospitals and doctors don't work by handing bags of cash to someone in a car - immediate life saving treatment happens at the ER and then is billed later. If I thought my mom was in a medical emergency there are a lot of things I might panic and do, but withdrawing money into a paper bag to hand to a dude in a car is not on the list.

Accusing someone of 'hubris' while claiming to know them better than they know themselves is certainly a look. Some people put their whole savings account into a paper bag and hand it to a guy in a car, but a lot of people don't, and your idea that anyone would do so if someone just said some magic words is not based on reality.

I also don't have a lawyer on speed dial, and only vaguely know how to pick out a criminal lawyer. OTOH, I absolutely would not worry at all about the cost of a lawyer if I did believe that I was the subject of a police investigation and a cop was trying to intimidate me into saying or doing something, because the cost of not getting a lawyer in that case is years in prison, probably seizure of assets, loss of income for the years in prison, and loss of income after that because of the difficulty of getting a job that requires a background check with a felony record. I've seen what happens to people who are the subject of a police investigation and believe police are trying to help them and start giving information (much less committing crimes) at the behest of police, both on the news and in person, and if you're worried about the cost of a lawyer in the situation described I think you're not performing a realistic analysis of the costs. Anyone who can't afford to hire a lawyer unless one is appointed doesn't have $10k in a savings account (like I do) or $50k like the woman in the story does, which makes them immune to this particular scam as there won't be a large sum of money to withdraw into a paper bag to hand to the scammer.

The absolute last thing that I'm going to do if I'm in a panic situation where I think the police are investigating me for something serious (in the example scam, financial fraud) is to continue the conversation with the alleged LEO in any way other than "I decline to answer any questions without a lawyer present", and I'm certainly not going to start doing things that could serve to dig me deeper like withdrawing money and making payments to someone in a car. And I certainly wouldn't keep quiet about it, I'd let everyone I know know so that if I do get arrested they at least have some idea what happened instead of me just vanishing quietly into the system for weeks or months before they figure it out.

I could fool you. I could make you do whatever I wanted you to do. Just from reading this post, I know you more intimately than you're capable of knowing yourself.

You are ripe for a scam, you are the target, you've likely been scammed and didn't even realize it. Everyone in the thread knows it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm glad other people are calling out what a terrible loving writer that person is, jesus christ