Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

PT6A posted:

What really burns my rear end about this is it fucks over every person who legitimately made a mistake and doesn't have cash. On the other hand, it should only be an issue in cabs/restaurants where they can't run a card, which has to be less than 2% at this point -- even the last holdouts I knew have gone over to debit/credit now.

It's still a problem if they have credit card facilities and you leave your card at home like a doofus. I left my entire wallet at home and then filled up my car at the petrol station. I had to walk in and tell them I have no money and I can only offer a business card or maybe a shoe as ID or collateral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
At least now you can be aware of what's happening pretty much instantly with credit cards. I get an app notication when mine is used.

Back in the day you would be oblivious until you realised the card was gone, the statement came or they maxed it and bank called you at work.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
When I worked retail we would only honour price tags, flyers, catalogues, etc which had the correct stock code on them. So misprinted pricetag with incorrect cheaper price but right stock code had to be honoured, but pricetag from a cheaper item with mismatched stock code wasn't.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

What's the deal with those door to door electric provider services? It's got to be done kind of scam, right?

From what I understand, they are legitimate providers and they aren't doing anything outright illegal. The model is that particular rates/fees are genuinely discounted compared to the market to entice people to sign up. The catch is that you don't really save money on your overall bill as they have other fees/rate increases built into them to make up for the advertised discounts.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Sydin posted:

Tupperware was like the suburban MLM back in the day. It was to the point my family used the phrase "Tupperware party" to refer to any kind of MLM mass sales pitch.

Definitely, that and Amway.

The quality of the storage containers is second to none. My family has piles of the stuff that's been in constant use since the 1980s.

I haven't encountered anyone doing Tupperware parties in like 20 years, Norwex seems to be much more popular at the moment.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
They only forward mail addressed to the names you specify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Got a call today on my work number from the security department for "Visa and Mastercard".