Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007

:twisty::ok::goose:!!

Soiled Meat

The funniest anti-scam pranks I've heard were done by "Hoax Hotel".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuayDyJ1ODI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-U7uppX7U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007

Soiled Meat

Looks like an insurance company plus some motivational poster weirdness

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007

Soiled Meat

I briefly worked at a Liberty Tax office that was charging people upwards of $200 to file simple returns that the customer could have done for free online.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007

Soiled Meat

Once I put up a gift card for auction on eBay and someone bought it for more than it was worth!

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007

Soiled Meat

Chase Bank isn't small potatoes and could gently caress with your credit. On the other hand, I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. In conclusion, the Legal Questions thread might be a place to ask yr question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007

Soiled Meat

McGrady posted:

My girlfriend got an account statement out of the blue in the mail from SunTrust bank that looks legit, with over $1600 in the savings account. She has never used/heard of this bank before and it is in a state she has never been to nor any family ever been too.

We are hesitant to call them even with the number on their website. The only scams I can think of are some kind of laundering thing, a fake out trying to get her real info, or some messed up unemployment scam where they deposited into an account in her name.

Any ideas on this or suggestions on what to do?

One idea would be to write SunTrust a letter of inquiry, including a copy of the account statement, send certified mail, return receipt required. Tell'em you don't know of any account in her name and think it might be fraudulent.