Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Inceltown posted:

A lot of people here probably know his more famous work.

drat this mf eats all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Someone stranger just sent me $20 on my venmo account that I've used one time to send my sister money for her honeymoon. Message attached was "Pink I back the blue". Anyone know what the deal is? I'm not breast cancer/pig adjacent so I'm not sure why someone would send me money for either of those causes. Didn't see any "decline payment" option on venmo either.

lol some bootlicker hosed up, congrats on your guilt free twenty bucks

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

bamhand posted:

Speaking of delivery scams. We ordered something through Doordash but got somebody's Grubhub order instead. Went to the Doordash website and put in a complaint, got an automated message saying a credit had been issued for the order. 10 days later, no credit. We contact customer support and they say it's now too late for us to contest the issue. We went into the Doordash website and took a screenshot of the message saying we got a credit and they just completely ignored the email. So now we're doing a credit card charge back.

Doordash is nuts, I drive for them for a little extra money and when I couldn't get on a military base to deliver an order they told me to leave it on the sidewalk and drive away, and that they would not be refunding the customer. It's one of the better options where I live as a driver, but I'd never use it as a customer after that incident and a couple others.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

One Swell Foop posted:

I’m selling a router online and the only couple of bites I’ve had have both asked for a photo of the back of the router to ‘show the model and version number’. Without editing, that photo would also show the MAC address, serial number, SSID and default password. I’m not going to use it again but am I bring over-cautious in not giving them this photo? Chances are they’re just working out if they can install custom firmware but it feels a bit dodgy.

Edit: n/m, sent a heavily cropped photo and they made an offer

I know you got it sorted, but just in general your instinct is correct that you never want to give anybody serial number type stuff for any electronics you own. Particularly for phones, there's a lot of mischief you can get up to if you have someone's serial number, MEID, IMEI, ICCID (sim card#), etc.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

When I worked in sales I would actively give people who looked like they work for a living the best deals I could short of getting myself in trouble, then make up my metrics by being as predatory as possible with rich people. Also some days you just don't feel like going hard at all, do the bare minimum with every customer, and just make it up later in the month.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

yeah I used to repair phones for a job and Apple in particular purposefully makes it more difficult to repair their devices. I'm not saying flagship Samsungs are particularly easy to repair, but at least they don't use a dozen different sized screws with 4 different head types. I've still got Galaxy S8+ from that job that's going on 4 years old and I'm gonna try to get as much time as possible out of it since I know how to cheaply replace the battery, but if I had to get a new device right now it'd just be a modern cheapo prepaid phone since they'll do anything a big expensive phone can do for literally 10% of the price. Same deal with computers. I spend a fair amount on my desktop since I like to play video games on it, but I got a chromebook when I needed a laptop and, again, it does everything a super expensive Mac would do for a fraction of the cost. Hell, if something in it breaks it'll probably be cheaper to just get a new one even.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I usually like hearing about the inside details of how stuff like this works, so I'll do a quick Apple post.

One example of how Apple makes it more difficult to repair your own devices is the touchID, the fingerprint reader home button on all the phones up to I wanna say the 8. Let's say you've got a broken screen. You can buy a third party iphone screen no problem. BUT your home button is paired to your specific phone, so if it's also broken and needs to be replaced, you no longer have a working home button/fingerprint reader. You can put one on there for aesthetics and to keep dust out of the phone, but the only way to have it even function as a button is an inconvenient but admittedly pretty clever third party button that draws off the phone battery and works via Bluetooth connection with the phone. Very cool but not very practical. Anyway to be clear this voids any warranty or applecare your phone may have had, but that's not too onerous imo.

Here's the hoops you have to jump through. So the only way to get your home button/sensor working properly is to take your phone to an apple store or an apple authorized repair shop like the one I worked in. I take your phone to my bench, pull up a special Apple website, and punch in your phone's serial number. Then I pull a matching OEM Apple phone screen, with already attached home button and punch in the serial number for it. Once the repair is done, you still don't have a working home button until I hook the phone up to my computer with a special cable, Apple's servers see that the phone and screen serial numbers are the same ones I punched in earlier, and tells the phone to go ahead and pair with the button. gently caress, we're finally done!

So if you read all that bullshit, you can see that no amount of effort, money, or expertise would allow a normal person to restore their phone's full functionality without going through Apple or someone who went through and paid for Apple's certification process. Allegedly, this is to keep your phone super ultra secure so nobody can do any tricks to unlock your phone, but it's real convenient that it ensures there's no way to get around giving Apple money.

edit: oh also I have to send your old screen back to Apple within a few weeks or they will charge me the full price for it which depending on the model could be like $500. They NEVER want any OEM part or device unaccounted for. I haven't done this work in more than a year now, so to be fair any of this could be outdated, but I strongly doubt it

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 10, 2021

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

That post is mostly speculation, but he's not strictly wrong about anything. The official line on the battery thing is that they were throttling the performance of older phones so as not to degrade the battery or cause the phone to become unstable and shut down, because iOS updates and apps keep getting more demanding but the phone's hardware isn't up to the task. I don't really have an opinion on whether that's true. It sounds reasonably realistic, but Apple is in the business of making money so I wouldn't put anything they thought they could get away with past them.

As for why people upgrade so often, I think they'd probably keep doing it even without any dirty tricks on Apple's part. Before I repaired phones, I sold them, and some of these customers couldn't be talked out of getting the new phone before they even had their old one halfway paid off. I'm sure the psychology behind it varies from person to person. Status symbol for some, peer pressure for others. I'm sure some people even really do depend on their phones so much they legitimately need to have whatever's newest, fastest, highest capacity, whatever the cost.

Anyway, none of this is strictly limited to Apple, they're just the biggest name that people want to talk about. I'm sure Samsung doesn't love it when you repair your own phone either, they just calculated that it wasn't worth it to do much to prevent it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Do people actually trade in their phones on a yearly basis? I think the average in my circle of friends/family is 2-3 years. I've definitely put off buying new ones a few times because I'm too lazy to change all of the billion custom settings on a new phone. Doing it every few months seems exhausting. (I use Android -- no idea how easy it is to switch iPhones.)

The most common type of customer I saw was definitely getting a new phone every 2 years (that's how long our contracts and payment plans lasted for, and I reckon that's the main factor). But it's really hard to gauge how many people were keeping their phones for 4 or 5 years because if they don't want a new phone how likely are they to end up in front of a phone salesman? They reaaaaaally gently caress you on trade-in value, a lot of times if I liked the customer and there wasn't some boosted trade-in promo I'd tell them they should just keep it as a backup, sell it to a friend, load up with games and give it to their kid, etc.

To answer your question though, yes, there are absolutely people who always get the newest thing because they have a lot of money, or they're Apple heads, or whatever other reason it's worth it to them. One thing that sucked was when people were, for whatever reason, authorized to make charges and sign deals on accounts that were ultimately paid for by a friend or family member. Lot of adult children taking advantage of their parents.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Paying for an out of warranty third party repair which you would only do if you didn’t have a warranty voids your warranty wow that’s real weird

I did have a very small number of people come in to do an AppleCare or warranty claim, then when I get in the phone I see it's got a third party screen or something else that tells me it's been repaired before. I always felt so bad telling these people they voided their coverage by taking it to the mall or whatever instead of me.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

It's honestly not that big a hassle on Android either. Maybe it's because I've specifically only owned Google devices since the G1 but especially the last few phones I've had (various generations of Nexus/Pixel) you pretty much just sign into your
Google account and it asks if you want to download all your apps/contacts. Sure you then have to sign into those apps as you open them and probably setup security stuff, but it's over the last 3 or 4 phones I've owned it's never really taken more than a few minutes from boot up to functioning device. Maybe not as simple as what you described for Apple, but certainly not a difficult process.

yeah idk if they do anymore but for awhile there Samsungs came with a little adapter that let you run a USB cable from your old phone to your new one and zap your stuff over even faster than wifi or wireless transfer. I wipe my S8+ once or twice a year and restoring it is as simple as putting in my google account. it automatically backs up basically everything so it's pretty idiot-proof

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

my parents bought some expensive water vacuum cleaner from a door to door salesman back in the early 90s, but they still use the loving thing 3 decades later so I guess the product itself isn't awful

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

yeah i quit watching John Oliver because it's really not my style of humor and politics, but I can't deny some of his segments are legitimately really informative, like the one about cops stealing poo poo

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah I used to do amateur SEO for a company as like a side thing to my real job, and anybody who says they can dramatically boost your SEO rankings is full of poo poo and will get you retaliated on by google

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

man if 911 calls ME, I'm heading for the hills

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

you need to pull a reverse printer goon and have her carry it to your house

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

I get maybe 1-2 scam texts a year on my android phone, and it's been about that pace for years. A month or so back I had a company iphone thrust on me, and holy poo poo I get like 1-2 scam texts a day on the thing. Constant phishing, group chats with a million randos trying to get me to click links, the works. I had to completely turn off the iMessage feature on the phone and just tell people at work to call, not text if they need something.

Did I just get a dodgy number or is this actually what iphone users put up with on the regular?

Yeah just ask the carrier to give you a renumber. They'll usually waive the fee if you tell them you're getting harassing phone calls.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah I work at an electronics repair shop and customers are blown away when we do extremely basic stuff like recommend they get a new device instead of paying us more than it's worth to fix it, so it seems like there's a lot of bullshit shops out there

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

bort posted:

My older uncle says he was hacked. He said his iPhone had outbound calls disabled. Has anyone heard of that happening?

his iphone wasn't hacked, no

he should just take it to his carrier, either he did something weird in his settings or his carrier screwed something up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean to be totally cold-hearted about it, clearly not.

It feels like this sort of thing is just going to thrive off the fervent middle class belief that there's a genuine significant risk of being violently kidnapped or robbed anywhere outside of [#suburb]

yeah I mean read between the lines lol, dance recital, ski trip, drugs, Mexico. they targeted the exact correct type of person with the exact correct anxieties they'd have. if they'd asked for less money and she hadn't been in public at the time, she probably would've paid up