Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
The free cruise robocalls around 2010 or so? They hit everywhere, hard, and I remember the ringleaders being led away in handcuffs on the news. It was the first big enforcement of the do not call list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Griefor posted:

it's a pretty simple method of adding a product changing hands to an illegal pyramid scheme, thereby making it legal (Not a lawyer and not sure if I'm getting it 100% right, but I believe that's the gist of it).

ToxicSlurpee posted:

MLM isn't a Ponzi scheme in the end; there are similarities but Ponzi basically paid the first investors with later investors. It looked like the promises were kept but they weren't.

A pyramid scheme isn't a Ponzi scheme either; they are distinct. MLM really is a pyramid scheme with an attached product. The guides to making money on MLM are very explicit about all the money you cannot make by selling the product ever, only by recruiting. It is a recruiting job where you recruit other recruiters, period. It is a pyramid scheme. It isn't enforced for the same reason that felony poppy seed possession isn't enforced, which is institutional inertia.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
The weird parts of Merchants of Deception is whenever he and his wife opened a bonus/commission check from Amway, it was not even 1% of what he was expecting, given his sales. And instead of asking for the other 99%, he would just ask 'what do I do' and act very confused because he didn't actually know what his cut was supposed to be. Because it had never occurred to him at any point to find out. (He was also an accountant. A professional auditor.)

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Should I help defraud the U.S. federal government. What’s the worst that could happen?

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7rzw8v/i_went_in_for_a_job_interview_and_it_escalated/

Huh. It may go against the spirit of the regulations, but if it's technically fulfilling the requirements for a contract, then the his little corporation would be as 'legit' as any number of private contractors for the military.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Yep. I got a call a week ago about fraudulent activity on my CC asking me if I'd made any purchases in Orlando. I've only been between Jacksonville and St. Augustine for the last 3 or 4 months so, no. Oddly, the only registered charges were a couple of $1 service charges but not the purchases themselves.

Maybe someone was "testing" the card number but it both charges were at gas stations so not sure how that would work.

Did you put air in tires using a credit card? Those machines are run by very small, incompetent operations that often report transactions happening wherever the owner is based.