Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I ran into a few of these MLM scams when I was job searching a few years ago, but was able to avoid wasting my time with any of them. Any job interviewer who doesn't seem to care about your qualifications, and is reluctant to tell you anything specific about the company or job duties is going to be a recruiter for one of these schemes. If you're in doubt, press them for a company name, and then entering it plus the word scam into a search engine will tell you all you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pilsner posted:

If you can't save up like $400 a month for 12 months (to buy a perfectly drivable $5k car), what business do you even have owning a car? Insurance, fuel, repairs, tires, taxes, and so on. This is basic economics. Owning a new car is not a human right. You could just as well argue that buying a new car that costs you, for example, $500 per month in payments, will shatter the savings you need for future medical emergencies.

If someone has less than $1000 in savings, how exactly are they putting down money on a new car from a dealership then? I'm talking against walking into a dealership and buying a car on a downpayment/loan "deal" here, and recommending buying used for cash instead.

Mitt Romney, is that you?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ilmucche posted:

How does that even work? Like i wouldn't take the bet, but how do they ever win that?

You got them on your feet.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yes. The short of it is that they want to obscure the actual origins of the package. The reasons can vary but that's the short of it.

It's also potentially for money laundering by shipping something of value to somebody else so they can sell it. There could also be stuff hidden in it that you don't know about. You might get like a few boxes that say they're full of tea or coffee or something that are...well, not tea or coffee.

Wouldn't that be a great target for a counter scam? Play along for a bit, then steal the "tea" or "coffee" once they think you're a trustworthy mark? It's not like they're going to report you to the cops. Although you'd probably want to not use your home address.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Konstantin posted:

Bitcoin mining hasn't been viable on general purpose PCs for years. People are building mining farms using purpose built hardware in places where power is cheap, spending millions of dollars to get everything set up.

Aren't there a bunch of alt coins that can still be mined this way? Or have they become almost worthless since the last bubble popped?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

You should be liable if your pin is 1234.

They shouldn't allow the PINs to be set to anything that meets their criteria of a bad PIN.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Original_Z posted:

The weird part is that OCN is a Japanese ISP so that email address would be linked to a user account and it would be incredibly easy to find out who owned it if an official complaint was made to them.

I'd be surprised if that account wasn't stolen.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

Well if she really is at the top of the triangle as she claims she would be a really good salesperson. And probably a sociopath.

They all claim to be at the top though. "I am a loser who can't sell things" doesn't give a potential sucker a good first impression. Especially since it implies that selling mlm bullshit is hard.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Back to scams:

Last year my wife got a letter in the mail from "Fletcher Unclaimed Asset Recovery" that says they have discovered unclaimed assets being held by the New York Office of the State Comptroller. "We would like to assist you in recovering these funds".

Details of your unclaimed asset: Owner name (my wife), year (2017), owner address (some place in new york she didn't live in 2017), reported by synchrony bank, amounts due for undelivered goods/services.

Uh, scam right? How does this one work?

It may work differently in your state, but in California there is also an unclaimed assets program. It's free to use, but doesn't reach out to individual people on the list. So some people do set up companies that go through the listings, notify people on it, and then claim a fee for their services, hoping that those people don't realize they can just contact the program directly for free.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

D34THROW posted:

Crossposting from the SH/SC "A ticket came in..." thread, though it might be relevant.

Seems like a lot of work to steal just $70.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I've heard that described as the stock market prediction scam. Where someone would send out letters to 1000 people, 500 saying a stock would go up, 500 saying it would go down. Then to the 500 who received the correct prediction, 250 saying another stock would go up, 250 saying it would go down. After a few rounds of predictions, you then offer some high price stock tips to the people who received only correct predictions.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I've been getting some new suspicious text message lately - like once per month, maybe. It's always something like "Hey coach Dave do you think my son can start coming to the afternoon class?" from a non-local area code. The first time I responded "Sorry wrong number; check your area code" and then the person started texting me about how being a single mother is hard blah blah blah. It has happened a few times now since summer.

I've just taken to ignoring them now, but is this some kind of "check to see if the number is active for future scams" scam? Or maybe more of a variation on the nigerian prince?

I am pretty sure they're using a wrong number bit to fish for horny/lonely people to scam.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I just encountered a simple but mean one. A friend's Facebook account was compromised and the hackers sent everyone she knew a Facebook messenger text saying that someone had died along with a fake tiktok link. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the first line of text pop up in my notifications, although it was immediately obvious it wasn't something she'd really send once I looked closer.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Bloopsy posted:

About a 1-2 times a month for the last 4 months or so I’ve been getting calls from Beijing, Shangai, and “China Mainland”. I didn’t pick up for any. Once I got a voice mail from a woman speaking Chinese but I had no idea what was said so I deleted it. The voice to text was in Chinese except the words “China Customs Agency” or something similar. At that point I hadn’t bought anything from a Chinese seller in like a year, so I just assumed it’s a scam fishing for someone who buys or bought from China recently, but that doesn’t explain why the call wasn’t in English. Anyone come across this?

They're scammers trying to trick Chinese immigrants. Maybe your area code has a large immigrant community in it, or they may just be trying random numbers. A recent immigrant is probably going to be less savvy to how things are done in their new country, and receiving a call from a stranger speaking their native language would probably make them put their guard down.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

greazeball posted:

Admin is at 92% spotted, IT is at 91%. There have been some very expensive breaches and ransomware attacks on public sector infrastructure in this country over the last couple of years. I'm pretty sure these scores are getting reported to the top and imagine IT has been told to not loving blow it.

Assuming that your workplace uses a security training company like knowbe4, you can set up an email rule that filters messages with "knowbe4" in the headers to their own special folder.

It's especially useful to do that if you work in I.T. so you can distinguish between tests and real phishing that somehow got past the spam filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
By now there must have been at least one court case that somehow involves those email disclaimers. Seems like it would be a pain to look up though.

"Save the Earth, think twice before printing this email!"