Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I don't understand how American banks haven't been sued into Oblivion over identity theft at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I meant in general though. My girlfriend had her account info stolen and BofA hosed up the handling of it so after she reported it there was a second transaction that cleaned out 10 grand from her account. She spend her vacation week getting that fixed and changing bill paying info, etc. Nobody she talked to knew what the gently caress they were talking about or even what department they needed to transfer her to. It was basically an 8 hour a day job to finally get it settled.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

I can't imagine that Wolff is involved, fucker's broke and unpopular with their crowd.
Randi is at least chud-adjacent or extreme succ, as he does not feel that American Atheists is an Islamophobic organisation. It hella is. Source: Ran into him in a hotel hallway at an American Atheist convention. American Atheists is headed by a chud whose goal is to normalise godlessness in the halls of power, an ostensibly righteous cause, but his god is Mammon, and their Atheism is in fact a Theism. Sister still a member but doesn't worship it as many others do.

That will be $4.99 please pull up to the first window.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

In TN they started up a state lottery a while ago campaigning that "x millions will go into schools!" Which was technically correct, but what wasn't said is that previous school funding from other sources would be removed and lost to the ether (someone's pocket). I don't think something with published odds that sticks to it is a scam, but the bullshit they used to justify creating one certainly was.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

peanut posted:

I went to an explanation thing for an "ear acupuncture diet."

But...why?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Right, PG&E weren't doing the required maintenance which led to this issue and then cried "waaa it would bankrupt us" when told tough poo poo you need to take care of it. So their response is well ok turn it off.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah when I read that earlier I'm not sure what the gently caress they were thinking. A service industry person treated me nicely!? SCAM

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It's desperation and people who are the end of their rope thinking "maybe this time it'll work out, I don't know what else to do." It's just a sad situation of scumbags trying to prey on people in bad situations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that got me was 20k a month. If they'd kept in a more believable range, they'd probably get more nibbles. If I decide to go ahead and gently caress with them a little, I'll post the results here but I'd bet both my testicles it's some Amway poo poo.

Because the less believable the lie the harder your mark will commit to it while you're filtering out people to smart to fall for it in the first place. It's the same reason you get typos and poo poo in scam emails.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Lol oh yeah those insurance sales or "account manager" jobs are a complete scam. I get a bunch of replies from them too. Got to the point where I would gently caress with them and see how far I could push things until they pulled an interview. "Hi, sorry I don't remember applying with you, but I drink pretty heavily and take pills that make me black out. What is this job for?" "It's for an account manager position! Can we confirm a 10am interview tomorrow?" "Ohhh sorry I have a hard time getting up before the crack of noon. Always down to party ya know what I mean?" "Ok will 2pm work for you?"

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I got a hand addressed letter to me in the mail today from a guy in california promising I'll get rich if I buy five books of 20 stamps and send one to each of the five people on the list, who had their names and addresses included. "Say this ten times: STAMPS ARE AS GOOD AS CASH MONEY"

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I get a pig butchering text about once a week. This latest one, I just send a pic of the conversation with the previous one after the "Hello." text. Their response was "E.O" and then separately "Leaf". That some kind of scam lingo or code?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I was just saying I'm running out of material and might need to fire an "old friend" right off the bat from now on.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

"I was eating peaches...for hours!"

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

namlosh posted:

...see it as less harmful compared to something like Bernie Sanders. It may be less harmful, but it’s a scam all the same. Got it

Lol do you mean Madoff?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

For $75 I will induct you into the International society of big dicked birds

Tell me more.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

They should use the "old friend" for effective anti phishing training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I did that and pinged the IT guy telling him I'm doing my part to keep the company safe.