Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

I haven't owned a car in over ten years now, and I still get these calls. They aren't doing any sort of validation at all, just shotgunning out calls.

The dealership I bought my car from routinely sends letters telling me the 3 year warranty is about to expire.

The car has a six year warranty. They have to know this - they're a VW dealer and they know the year of the car. Zero validation whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

I've been in multiple bars where the bartender rattled off a "hold" script when I gave them a card to run my tab. "We pre-authorize/place a hold for $XX for any credit card charge, but the hold will drop off in a day or two." As a side note, it's yet another reason why you should never use your debit card as a credit card at a vendor. Always pay with a credit card anywhere, then immediately repay it from your checking account if you want to treat it as an instant-pay transaction like you would with debit. You just lose too many consumer protections with debit cards.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Haifisch posted:

If you don't carry a credit card balance, you can just pay it when the statement posts too. (you don't pay interest if you pay the statement balance in full on time every time)

Yeah, I should've been clearer: I've met many people who prefer debit cards because they fear the concept of running up a balance too large to pay in a month and incurring interest charges. For them, the act of charging $50 and then immediately paying $50 feels more comfortable than the equivalent act of charging $500 over 10 charges and then paying it the following month, and ultimately they're safer doing this than 10 debit charges. That was sort of what I was going after with that comment - you're absolutely correct that moving past that, there's an even bigger benefit to be had from the 30-55 day delay in payment.

Even the local liquor store chain that gives a discount for using debit doesn't get my debit info - their DB was compromised several years ago and it's just too damned inconvenient to deal with that vs. using credit.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

How long did it take you to work out how the stupid back door handle mechanism worked? So ridiculous.

The last time my Uber was a Tesla, the app literally popped up as a message as the driver arrived that explained how to open the backdoor. Not a text from the driver because he'd had issues before - an Uber-wide system design for Teslas. That's how ridiculous.