Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Fruits of the sea posted:

Here’s a scam I’ve run into two times now bartending - guy walks in and orders a beer with an extremely strong accent and kinda broken grammar. Ten minutes later he comes up and wants to get another drink, but he can only pay with an extremely large denomination bill.

Here’s where the fun starts. The moment I start counting change out, he’ll say he wants to give a certain amount extra as a tip OR that he wants a specific amount of money back, also equating to a tip. He will explain all this very poorly, with a strong accent, talking quickly and repeatedly. So the person counting the change out is struggling to understand him, and also having to calculate a second transaction (the tip and whatever change is needed afterwards), all while they have probably close to $100 in their hands and the till is open. At this point, the dude will open his wallet, spread a mess of coins out and ask how much there is, again in broken English. So now I have to calculate the transaction, the tip, the small change he took out and whatever the hell he’s actually saying because he’s talking constantly. Here’s the scam: during the course of the (at this point incredibly confusing) exchange he puts the original large bill back in his pocket. If he’s already handed me the bill (this happened the first time), he asks for it back and starts asking about the change on the counter again.

So, the con is to state that he wants to pay with a large bill, then confuse the hell out of the cashier so he can pocket the large bill and still get the change.

I’m only like 50% certain I didn’t get conned the first time- the owner doesn’t want me doing counts of the cash register because lol and I was caught off guard, so even though my mental alarm bells were ringing halfway through, it might have been too late. I'm pretty sure the bill changed 3 times, not 4. Could be wrong though. The second time I was ready though and grabbed the large bill at the first opportunity. Even counted the tip out for myself!

Standard quichange artist. It is day one of bank teller training to watch out for that, and should be also be part of training for any job that involves a cash register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I don't know how anyone that handles cash regularly can wind up taking a counterfeit bill. I have about 4 years of cash box experience at a bank and also worked the till at a couple other jobs. You very quickly get a feel for the money, and all the counterfeits that I ever ran across felt different. If they hand you money that's really worn, you just have to slow down and scrutinize it. Otherwise most money just feels like money, and not like paper.

One way to tell if you're on the fence if a bill is real or not is that the shirt collar of whoever's on the bill should feel rough.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I made my whole family get the shot this year. The real-deal flu is traveling around my wife's workplace. She caught it, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as the last time one of us had the flu, even though she missed almost a week of work. My daughter was also sick for a few days but bounced back. My son shows no signs of illness. I am tired and have a sore throat, and a little nausea, but am otherwise OK. A+ would get jabbed in the arm again. It was free though our HMO and I am pretty sure they wouldn't pay for it if it had no efficacy.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

I’d never had a flu shot until last year I finally got one and now I love trains and have difficulty interacting in social situations

Yeah but that was all true before also.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

Flu shots are cheap or free in a lot of places, get stuck, be gay, do crimes.

Flu shot didn't make me gay. I got it about 2 months ago. Should I get another? How will I know it's working?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

occamsnailfile posted:

I dunno, did you do enough crimes? How much sushi did you get?

Wait, I thought I had to be gay first and then do the crimes. So I need do crimes and then I become gay? I am always down for sushi but I didn't know it figured in here. Should I switch from eating tuna to eating yellowtail?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thursday Next posted:

So, I recently closed out an old bank account I hadn't used for years.

It had a couple thousand bucks in it, and hadn't seen a deposit for... fifteen years or so? I wasn't paying anything for it, or out of it (so I thought) so it was just $2k USD sitting around. It had been left there as leftover cash earmarked for my wedding, and I'd frankly forgotten about it since I don't even use that bank any longer.

A month or two after closing the account and moving the money to an actual working brokerage, I got a sternly-worded letter from a credit card company.

See, I had had a credit card with Chase about 20 years back. I never used it and canceled it in 2004. ~Somehow~, the card got re-opened in 2018. With all the Chase bells and whistles added to it. Upgraded to concierge level or whatever the gently caress. Monthly fee. Yearly fee. gently caress-you fee.

There were NO charges on the card, just fees.

Two years of fees, totaling about $1200. Again, zero actual charges on the card. Who the gently caress would clone my card, or steal my identity / open a card, and then... make no charges? Obviously, I called their fraud dept and closed the thing and got a refund for the past year (lost the 2018 fees, gently caress you Chase).

But I was absolutely stumped. Who would do this? Why? Re-open an account, and tack on every single Chase charge you possibly could. The only people who made money off this were... Chase.

Then my friend reminded me of the Wells Fargo incident. Seems that in order to meet "quotas", desperate managers were signing customers up for bullshit like this - so they could keep their jobs.

I'm not getting a lawyer because it's $600, which would be less than lawyer fees, and I strongly doubt a single private citizen could win this case, but, gently caress me running if that's not exactly what happened here. Guarantee someone at Chase was behind their bullshit-fee quota and signed me up for this garbage monthly- and yearly-fee crapfest. Explains why the card was never once used.

It's my fault for not remembering this 15-year-old account, or for checking on a canceled card from 15 years ago, sure, but... gently caress you Chase.

Good scam.

Did they ever send you any statements? If not, where were the statments going? That could demonstrate that the account was fraudulent if the statements were going somewhere else. Are they asking you to pay them money now or are you asking them to refund money you paid? If the former, tell them to pound sand.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

postmodifier posted:

Another huge, huge way that they shot themselves in the foot was that as Target and Best Buy were positioning themselves as big players in the consumer electronic/appliance market by having full-paid employees handle bargain sales, Sears was still paying their employees on commission, jacking up prices like crazy, and placing the pursuit of extended warranties and credit applications over customer satisfaction.

Best Buy pushed warranties and credit too, but they also guaranteed everyone's basic paycheck and put the customer first. There were legitimate wars being fought in any given Sears, employees fighting each other for sales, backstabbing, gossip, defamation, and even seriously shady poo poo like printing out a copy of someone's sale receipt, returning it to a gift card, and then re-ringing the sale with your own associate code and paying for it with the gift card, so that you'd get the commission. Rampant theft, tremendous grift (especially in the installation and repair departments), last-ditch resort promotion of complete loving idiots because all of the smart people saw the writing on the wall and fled...

It is absolutely zero surprise to me that the company flamed out the way it did, but I thank it every day for being my first job as a teenager and instilling in me an incredibly strong lesson of how -not- to run a business.

Back before the sears near me closed, I had to wait 20 minutes to check out while a lady that didn't speak Spanish sold a credit card to an old abuelo who didn't speak English and just wanted to buy his poo poo and leave. Unfortunately he had already signed for it before I figured out what was going on but as someone who has worked in banking and specifically with the Spanish speaking community that is a really lovely thing to do.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah it's a goddamn shame about Kenmore appliances. When I was delivering appliances back in like '04 I remember pulling a pink "Lady Kenmore" washer and dryer set out of an old couple's home that had been installed by the old man in 1953 as a gift for his wife to find upon returning from the hospital after giving birth to his 5th son. He said they had never been repaired and still worked, but he felt that after over 50 years his wife deserved a new washer and dryer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

There's a mall nearby that was fairly successful, but had been declining over the years. They've pretty much lost all their anchor stores. They ended up walling off half the mall and they've been transitioning more to an activity center than traditional store fronts.

They have places where you can learn arts and crafts, music lessons, some indoor youth sports stuff, a BJJ school, etc... It'll be interesting to see how that all works out, if it at all.

There's a mall near me that has a Macy's and a Ross, but has lost Sears, Toys R Us, Marshalls, and Nordstrom. They have a ice rink there that was doing decent lessons business pre-covid. When I went there the Saturday after Thanksgiving, everywhere but the ice rink was completely dead. It was just sad to see. The worst part is that while the ice rink was the only place doing lots of business, it used to be twice as large and got cut down in a mall remodel a decade ago.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Hey guys I have a new cloud based blockchain project. It's a virtual currency called DickCoin...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

LOL so wait they sent a bill to an LLC that doesn't exist? Let them know your identity was stolen but I am sure you can demonstrate you don't own that LLC

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Midjack posted:

What if the OP is a free man on the land?

He just has to announce that he is traveling and does not want to create joinder.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If they could get merchants to switch en masse they probably would do away with the strip. Banks don't like losing money due to fraud.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

My SO just donated 100€ to some charity via FB using debit straight to our family account.

Found out about just now when I found an unknown transaction while going over the account transactions. I am now super paranoid that she has used her debit card, to our account where we pool our money. I've heard of people getting debited via FB and I bet they did the misstake of exposing their card info via facebook somehow. I have told her I want her to cancel the card to the account and get a new one and never ever use facebook for anything money related, if she wants to donate money to something get their IBAN/BIC number for direkt bank transfer or use paypal.

Am I overreacting? I don't think I am. I absolutely don't trust facebook to handle our money or having our biggest account info exposed via a debit card. I mean gently caress if she'd used the credit card then you'd have some buyer protection against possible scams but exposing the debit card linked to the account.

As a banker I'm not sure you are overreacting. I would never use a debit card online, only a credit card, and I would never expose my credit card to anything on Facebook. If she wants to donate to charity she should do that through said charity's website. If it's not a gigantic organization, she should use privacy.com or another single-use card number mask. Some credit cards have those built in and you can just sign in to their web portal to get a single use number to use online. Even legitimate online retailers can be infected with malware and you can become part of a mass comp.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ahh, that kinda makes sense. especially on a roofing or payment job, where they tore up your roof/driveway, then swanned off. Still, if a contractor did that me, I'd tell them to pound sand and find someone who will actually finish the job before demanding payment.

This, less sense. Why would you even give a contractor half money up front? If I take my car to a mechanic, I don't pay them $100 up front and then the other $100 when it's done.

The only business I can think of where I pay up front for a service without seeing the final product/work is fast food.

Fake edit: Well, and I guess utilities; I gotta pay Cox/Dominion/cell phone to connect my services before I see how much they suck. And in the case of Cox and Dominion, they've got a monopoly in my area anyways. :(

Fake edit 2: and buying weed.

The normal payment structure for contractors working on you home where I am is 1/3 upfront, 1/3 at half completion, and 1/3 after you have done the walkthrough, given them the list of all the shot they need to fix, and they have fixed said poo poo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

This seems to be a golden age of completely legal scams.

Something something US presidency 2016-current.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If recruiting other people is any significant component of how you make money, it's an MLM scam.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Maybe they need someone good with a knife to prepare the long pork special.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

If you have any way of alerting a younger relative or her bank, there’s actually a chance you could do something to stop it. At the bank I work at if we tell a person they are getting scammed and they don’t believe us or otherwise insist on continuing to send money to the scammer, we shut down all their accounts and mail them a check. The reason for this is that as long as they are our customer we have a fiduciary duty to not help them send money to scammers if we know that’s what’s going on. The banks regulators also are paying more attention to elder fraud than they did 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

I got scammed a couple weeks ago, but I'm wondering how the scammer benefitted in this case. I saw a listing on Facebook Marketplace for some furniture I wanted. I contacted the seller, and they told me to go to their website to make the purchase (already a red flag, but I did it anyway). The weird thing was the seller insisted on PayPal, because it was the "most secure" payment method, since they wouldn't be able to see the customer's credit card number (??????). Despite my reservations, I bought the item.

Anyway, no surprise, I never received it. The seller ghosted me when I tried to contact them, and later deleted their website and profile (or blocked me). I filed a claim through PayPal, and I got my money back. I'm not really mad about it, since I knew I was deliberately ignoring my gut feelings, and it wasn't for an amount I couldn't afford to lose (plus I knew I could get it back, if not through PayPal, then through a chargeback with my credit card company). I'm just wondering now what the endgame was here. I'm thinking the scammer just withdrew whatever money they received from their PayPal account and ran, and the refund came from PayPal? If that's the case, I imagine PayPal would lose hundreds and thousands of dollars over this stunt, and it surprises me they would make it so easy for scammers to pull something like this. If the refund came from the scammer's account, then what was the whole point of this in the first place?

I've heard of PayPal scams where the scammer will send a package to a random address near the buyer (usually something cheap like stickers, seeds, etc.), so they can generate a real tracking number, and it will show that the package was delivered when the buyer tries to file a claim. PayPal then closes the case and makes a judgment in the seller's favor. I was half expecting that, but I never received a tracking number or any kind of communication from the scammer after I made the purchase. Also, another weird thing I noticed while I was browsing their website: they were selling all their items for under $100, even brand new dining room sets, sofas, beds, etc. Does that let them avoid detection or something?

PayPal doesn’t always refund the customer and if they don’t your bank often won’t do a chargeback because you authorized PayPal to withdraw the money per the terms of the PayPal user agreement. PayPal will do a lot to not pay you if a lot of money is on the line. Cash apps generally are hit or miss with whether they will refund you in case of unauthorized transactions and typically your bank will not be any help of you authorized the app to withdraw funds from your account, which you did if yo signed up for the app. It’s lovely.