Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What's the most painful way to waste the time of the robocallers? I'm getting them every other day now, of course spoofing my area code and I decided to ask today if I could get off their list and the guy said 'gently caress you rear end in a top hat' and hung up.

Or is the best way simply following the algorithm of "Are you expecting a phone call today / do you have kids that might be emergency calling?" and if the answer is "no" then letting it go to voicemail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Did you re-register your number? It expires after 36 mos I think.

Website says:

Uncle Sam posted:

Registrations on the National Do Not Call Registry DO NOT EXPIRE. If you have previously registered your number, there is no need to register again.

Been registered since 2008. gently caress telemarketers / robot-callers. They don't cost anyone important any money so nothing will ever happen.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I had a spam call interrupt another one I was on today (voice call interrupting a Zoom call on iOS); super great that thereís no way to stop this. gently caress these guys with a rusty dildo.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

its almost as if there should be a thing where the receiving carrier could ask the initiating carrier 'hey is this your dude(ette)?'

unfortunately we have not developed this inter-networking technology in TYOOL 2018

I would assume that phone companies make money off the spam calls and therefore they arenít incentivized to help stop them.

Itís a little hosed if everyoneís MO for calls becomes ďnot a contact, not expecting a call, not picking upĒ, isnít it?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

That's been my SOP for a couple of years now and seems to be working so far. I just mute the ringer. If it's legit/important they leave a voice mail.

It just seems like a lovely way to use our phones; I would imagine that if you had kids, you would pick up any incoming call with your area code on the off chance it could be potentially about your kid.

Iíve answered a few from my area code and itís usually complete silence on the other end..:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ohyesitsme posted:

Probably depends on what generation you are. I'm 42 and can't think of anyone in my circle of friends who doesn't have a CC.
Older people are more "Not going into debt for anything, if I can't afford it I'll save up until I can".
I have 7 CCs, normally pay them off in full each month but will sometimes hold a balance for a couple of months (nothing huge) and just suck up paying the interest, each card in rotation - it keeps my credit score high because banks don't want to lend to people they won't make money from.

Noooooooooooo my fellow goon, free yourself!

gently caress any advice or implication that leads people to believe that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

People actually pick up on calls from numbers they don't recognize?

My colleagues with kids basically have to because it could be any school staff member calling about a potential emergency.

Or, could be anyone from a client, doctorís office, etc; there may simply be no choice.

It sucks. This poo poo is turning the phone use model into something more like a pager.