Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Fatty posted:

In the UK if you're called on a landline and hang up it doesn't actually terminate the call. The call is only terminated when the caller hangs up. This has lead to a scam where victims are called by the police/their bank, being told that illegal activity on their account has been detected, and they need to phone their banks fraud line now. The victim then hangs up and the scammer waits on the line. The victim makes a new call using the actual number they know is for their bank, the scammer hears a bunch of dial tones over the line, and then pretends to be a different person and gets the victim to give them account info. The scammer also frequently plays fake dial tones and ring tones to further fool the victim that their phone is working normally.

Its effective, because quite often the natural response for people who are very suspicious of scams is to hang up, and call the number thats been provided previously by their actual bank.

Part of my job is dealing with this kind of thing :argh:
You see quite a few variations, but one that really pisses me off is in addition to the above stuff, they'll tell the poor pensioner that they're investigating a member of branch staff, and they want them to either move their savings to a "safe police account" or take it all out in cash and lend it to them to do a "sting".

Also super common is the Microsoft/Talktalk scam where they call you up and go "your computer's full of nasties, let me remote in and fix it!"
Doesn't help that talktalk has been actually hacked, twice, so there's actual details floating around on their customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Collateral Damage posted:

Yep. But any terminal where you fully insert the card (gas pumps and ATMs for instance) is still vulnerable to skimming the magstripe, even if the terminal itself uses the chip. There are a few ways of attacking the chip itself, but they are much harder to pull off and less powerful than traditional skimming.

But once a country moves off using the stripe, fraud detection systems can be set to flag stripe transactions on home turf as automatically weird.

On a related note:

I work for the fraud department of the UK bank. Styles of scames goes in waves. Seeing a resurgence in HMRC stuff that went away for a while.