Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

This is from a friends fb post recently:

"So I kept getting phone calls from a “Washington DC” number eventually leaving voicemails about tax fraud on my family. I decided to call them just to be funny, because I know it’s a scam. They said I owed a ridiculous amount of 5,000 lmao, so I pretended to be worried and was like I will pay for it all right now with my credit card, the guy continues to say we don’t take credit card, so I said” alright that’s weird, but okay i will pay debit straight out of my checking right now, you ready.” He says that can’t do that either. He eventually realized I was messing with them and says he got notice from the courthouse that I’m not eligible to settle outside. I yelled BULLSHIT, and he told me to take that credit card I have and swipe my vagina with it. Jesus! That was rude, for someone who was just trying to pay up 😂😂"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

I was friended in the middle of the night by a mutual friend of an ex, who I didn't remember, but vaguely sounded familiar, so gently caress it I added her and she immediately messages me hi and makes some chit chat after revealing that no, we don't know each other (emojis her own):

Joyce: Im from Philippines maam.
Me: i heard that you guys had a pretty big earthquake recently, did you feel it?
Joyce:Yes maam cinni, it is in my place i hope that someday you do help us financial help. 😭
Me: i would if i could, earthquakes are scary as gently caress and destructive as gently caress, did your house get messed up?
Joyce: Yes maam but a little bit but in my grandmother house has messed up 😭 so i would like to need help. 😭
Me: The Red Cross is a good start, I don't know much about aid charities though I am sure there are plenty out there, or even a gofundme page
Joyce: I don't know yet gofund me maam cinni.
Me: its just like making a facebook, try it out
Joyce: You can do maam cinni a little bit financial help from you to us. How much you do maam i accept it
Me: Sorry, can't help you, good luck
Joyce: Why maam?

I just left it at that for now, but I'm gonna tell my ex to probably get rid of her cause I am most likely not the only person on his friends list to get this. I like how she is preemptively accepting my offer of zero dollars though, tenacious!

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

A genetic-testing scam is targeting seniors and ripping off Medicare

The 86-year-old woman in rural Utah doesn't usually answer solicitations from strangers, she said, but the young couple who knocked on her front door seemed so nice. Before long, she had handed over her Medicare and Social Security numbers — and allowed them to swab her cheek to collect her DNA.

She is among scores of older Americans who have been targeted in a scam that uses DNA tests to defraud Medicare or steal personal information. Fraudsters find their victims across the country through cold calls, door knocking, email, Facebook ads and Craigslist. They also troll low-income housing complexes, senior centers, health fairs and antique shops. Sometimes they offer ice cream, pizza or $100 gift cards. Some callers claim to work for Medicare, according to a fraud alert issued Friday by the Federal Trade Commission.

Capitalizing on the growing popularity of genetic testing — and fears of terminal illness — scammers are persuading seniors to take two types of genetic screenings that are covered by Medicare Part B, according to experts familiar with the schemes. The tests aim to detect their risk for cancer or medication side effects.

The scammers bill Medicare for the tests. The patients, who might never receive any results, typically pay nothing. But they risk compromising personal information and family medical history. And taxpayers foot the bill for tests that may be unnecessary or inappropriate.

Scammers can really cash in: Medicare pays an average of $6,000 to $9,000 for these tests, and sometimes as much as $25,000, according to the Office of Inspector General at the Department of Health and Human Services.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/27/medicare-fraud-identity-theft-genetic-testing-scams-target-seniors/1836394001/

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

Tmz says a lot of semi celebs have been getting hit with this scam of being offered to speak in Dubai recently. Seems scammers are trying to crack into bigger wallets now.

'Baywatch' hotties Donna D'Errico and Krista Allen got a super sweet offer -- $300,000 to fly to Dubai and make a quick speech -- but turned out to be too good to be true ... because it was courtesy of the same scammers who tried to rip off Dog The Bounty Hunter.

Here's the deal ... reps for Donna and Krista were contacted by people purporting to be from the office of Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan -- the Deputy Prime Minister of United Arab Emirates -- offering the ladies a fat payday in exchange for speaking at an economic empowerment convention for small business owners in July and rubbing elbows with dignitaries.

Donna and Krista's people got contracts emailed to them with all the deets, and it looked legit on its face ... but once the women signed, things got super sketchy.

Organizers in "Dubai" said they had difficulty wiring funds to Donna and Krista and started asking for more personal information. Huge red flag. Another catch -- organizers were asking Donna and Krista to donate half of the funds back to the organization.

Donna and Krista slowly started putting the pieces together, feeling something was off ... and they eventually got cold feet.

Fortunately for them ... the 'Baywatch' babes never gave up their personal info, dodging a huge bullet ... just like Dog.