Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Could just be a callcenter drone who is not allowed to disconnect the call for any reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Of course it's a scam.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Several (government) institutions here take phishing scams seriously so now they send out emails without links. The result is that you occasionally get a plaintext mail (no logos, no links, only a paragraph of text) that immediately rings the 'scam' alarm only to notify you to please login to the institution at your own convenience and that they'd never send you a link.

Scammers ruin it for everyone.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Slime posted:

If I was doing it I'd make up small transactions of things that nobody will notice aren't there either because they already use up a lot of them or they're small enough not to notice. Printer supplies, shipping crates, mice and keyboards for their computers, that sorta thing.

edit: Even better, actually fill a stockroom with the things but you charge a big markup or something.

Once you are in a position of trust fraud and embezzlement are relatively simple unless until you get greedy.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I've thought a lot about pretending to sign up for some of these MLM scams and doing an undercover documentary of sorts or writing a book. See how far I can penetrate it without going broke.

You might even end up as that one guy documentarying the Westboro Baptist Church but is now in charge.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

they're legally compelled not to secure themselves from future breaches, because it's not in the best interests of their shareholders, which are the only interests they're supposed to take into consideration.

This is an urban myth.

Alternatively, you could say it is a fantastic scan that corporations have played on the general population.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

ponzicar posted:

Wouldn't that be a great target for a counter scam? Play along for a bit, then steal the "tea" or "coffee" once they think you're a trustworthy mark? It's not like they're going to report you to the cops. Although you'd probably want to not use your home address.

Unless you have some form of trump card in an army of hired goons, it is generally not a good idea to piss off a drug syndicate.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

MightyJoe36 posted:

How stupid do you have to be to not know that you can't pay fines/government debts with iTunes cards? Or is it the same mentality that causes people to buy a mirror in a box in a gas station parking lot because they think they're getting a brand-new iPad for $50? (i.e., I know I did/am doing something illegal, so I'll ignore the sketchieness of this.)

People simply panic. They consume media where the government sends out black-suit-with-sunglasses-goons after you in unmarked black vans. They imagine that and all rationality goes out of the window.

But yeah a guilty conscience probably doesn't help.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

gaj70 posted:

We're still better than Europe (where, iirc, the customers are liable on cc's if it's a chip/pin purchase).

Credit cards are rare anyway and 90% of people who have one (made up statistic) only use it for online purchases anyway.

But no, generally you would not be liable for fraudulent charges here either.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

In Europe. Netherlands to be specific.

Only 55% of consumers have a credit card. Of which 2/3 only uses it abroad. Of the remaining, the vast majority is used only for online purchases or hotel reservation deposits or those kind of things. Virtually nobody uses it for day to day stuff. The debit card rules supreme here.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

and get rewards for using it,

In fairness I don't think any of the easily gotten credit cards in the Netherlands have this, so for daily life there is no benefit to using them at all.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this is confusing - he was simultaneously in a call with a real person and a robot? why have the robot in this situation?

You outsource part of the conversation. The majority of people will not trip up the robot.

https://www.stufftheydontwantyoutoknow.com/podcasts/will-google-start-impersonating-you.htm

Here's a podcast on it. Despite the title, it's not really conspiracy talk at all, just mostly speculative based on what google has revealed about some new service.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

This one's really old, isn't it?

Just a little bit younger than a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

MightyJoe36 posted:

This. What the gently caress good is insurance that only covers stuff you can afford to pay for out of pocket (exams, cleaning, X-rays), but doesn't cover things you need insurance for (fillings, extractions, crowns, etc.)?

And we call it... The American healthcare system!