Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
How do these MLM schemes actually work? Is there much variation between whatever major groups there are? I think my mom and stepdad got conned into joining one of these things for some weird kind of aerosol skin cream. I remember they got boxes and boxes of the stuff and they seemed to think it worked amazingly well, but they never seemed to be able to move any of it. My dad was at least polite enough not to tell me they were being scammed, but having dealt with a couple pushy MLM types in my adult years, now I wonder if them pushing the stuff on him and my stepmom contributed to the huge falling out they had right around that same time.

I got into a conversation at a bar with a couple who were into Amway and they were just so enamored with the douche who recruited them and how they never have to work for a boss again and yadda yadda yadda. What was really confusing to me was they didn't actually try to sell me any products, they just went straight into selling themselves and how if I signed up under them we would all be rich within a year. Aren't they supposed to be shilling crappy consumer goods or something before they move into screwing over other idiots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
In the late 90's maybe early 00's there was a survey site where you got points for filling out whatever questionnaire's they had and could spend the points on random crap. I got a couple of cd's and other random junk after I set up a macro to click through the surveys and rack up points. I don't think it lasted long and I don't remember what it was called, but the last few posts just reminded me of it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well all of that sounds terrible except for the lady getting $7500 from a 3rd party for a car supposedly only worth around $5000.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I think the true value in a service like Lifelock is having someone to point the finger at when your identity does get stolen.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Les Schwab has got to be one of the worst since they'll even threaten to hold your car if you don't accept the recommended repairs, "for your own safety." They pulled this on me one time because I only wanted 2 tires instead of all 4.

They also tried this on my wife one time when she went in to get her tires rotated (I think). They told her that she needed all new brakes and that they couldn't let her leave without performing the maintenance. She had just replaced the pads on all 4 corners the previous weekend and everything else was in good working order.

Just asking for a manager seems to be enough to get them to pretend the tech is in deep poo poo for trying to scan you, I doubt they actually care though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Right, but what about the guys shouting about buying up extra tickets? Last night outside the Blazers game there was a dude yelling something like "get cash instead of throwing it in the trash!" Are they pretty much just going to try and turn around and make a profit in the next 15 minutes before tipoff?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm guessing you guys are the type of people where I try to call and leave a message but the voicemail is full?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I have no idea, I just know that the owner of our company does not text, rarely replies to emails, and if he doesn't answer his phone his voicemail is always full. Ditto for a couple of our employees. I have no idea what their deal is. Why is there even a limit? Data storage seems so cheap that it doesn't make any sense to have a cap. Just have voicemails count again the effectively infinite storage on my gmail account or something.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I guess the thing that makes the most sense to me is imagining a board meeting where the topic of increasing voicemail storage comes up and everybody just looks around at each other and ask "why?"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Sounds like you need to find a shop that you actually trust, like maybe the one who told you about the hose. Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion I guess but sometimes poo poo's hosed and it's nice to know the place you take your car to will treat you right. They're out there, not everybody is a douchebag.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

BiggerBoat posted:

Like most people, when I need my car fixed it usually gets taken to the most convenient place since, you know, i'm immobile and everything.

If you're immobile because major works needs to be done then take it wherever you need to to have it done properly, not wherever is most convenient, I don't think that's "what most people do."

If it's just a flat tire or something then that's different and they can only really gently caress you over so hard besides trying to upsell you an entire drivetrain overhaul or whatever.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

BiggerBoat posted:

Are people in this thread honestly suggesting that repair shops don't routinely try to rip people off and that the onus is on the car owner?

I think it's been mostly me and you talking about this (other than the above 2 posts) so I'm not sure who else you're referring to as "people in this thread". I never said repair shops don't rip people off, of course they sometimes do. But you're behaving as though every single auto tech is an rear end in a top hat out to turn your wallet inside out.

This is why you spend time talking to whoever has diagnosed the problem and about what parts/labor need to go into the fix. If the person can clearly and concisely show you the damaged part(s) and the catalog of replacement options with labor and help you feel comfortable with whatever they're going to do then great. If they just ask you to poo poo $300 for a fictional project then you leave. If you can't determine whether they're trustworthy or not you leave.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think repair shops should get consequences for trying these scams. Exactly because of the reason you describe, people depend on shops to do good work at a reasonable price and if not they can become stranded.

I agree that there should be some legal consequence for this, and I'm sure that in the right situation you could probably catch them for some kind of fraud. But in general the consequence is lack of return business and bad word of mouth. I don't know if shops depend on Yelp/Google reviews the way some other businesses do, but make sure you let as many people as possible know when you've been hosed over.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 20, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
edit: I think you're kind of frustrated by recent events and will leave it at that.

I just don't get how people have the attitude of "I don't know poo poo about X" and then get surprised when they are taken advantage of. Learn a little bit.

There are almost certainly YT videos about any issues your car has unless it's a super rare make/model, so do a little research before you have somebody look at it. I've had plenty of work done by good and bad mechanics, I've been burned by close friends, treated great by complete strangers, and have had plenty of people tell me I need work I didn't need. Lookin at you Les Schwab telling me my rotors were hosed two days after I installed them.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 20, 2019

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
There was somebody in the Costco thread in GBS that said they did the vendor thing for Vitamix or Ninja blenders or something and it didn't sound too much like a brainwashing cult bs thing, just that he'd sometimes walk away with a few thousand bucks in a day and other times come away with basically nothing since it didn't pay by the hour. Other products/companies could treat it differently of course.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm going to sell a car in the next couple months. I'd prefer cash but I know some people wouldn't really want to bring $10k around someone they don't know so I guess a cashier check would be alright? Isn't it money orders that can be scammed somehow? Or do I have that the wrong way around and cashier's checks are the ones to avoid?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ah, a good plan I hadn't considered.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
No no no, I'm SELLING a car, not pretending to buy one.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
This is why I love my credit union. I can use any ATM and accept whatever ridiculous surcharge they have and I just get it refunded within a few days. I kind of hate cash only businesses, but in some cases there isn't really any way around it (like certain marijuana dispensaries for example) so if I forget to bring cash with me I can use their ATM without getting screwed for it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Armageddon

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Sydin posted:

1. Mormons: Still kinda pissed about the Prop 8 bullshit we had to endure for a bit here in California thanks to them but otherwise they're generally pretty chill. "No thank you, I'm quite happy in my current beliefs" and they go away 99% of the time. Used to tell them I was an Atheist but that just made them come back harder, so I've switched to vague language for convenience.

God help you if you were ever a member of the Mormon church though. My wife grew up Mormon and quit pretty much as soon as she saw how terribly people were treated if they didn't bend over backwards to do things the church's way. Her dad had heart surgery and was nearly excommunicated (Is that what Mormons do if you piss them off? Or is it called something different?) when he didn't make it to church for a little while after. She has a ton of other stories of people being shunned for slightly deviated from the church's doctrine as well.

Anyway, for the next 15 years they knocked on her door at least twice a week and despite all her attempts to tell them to gently caress off they only quit when she started answering the door with a glass of wine. I guess day drinking made her beyond their help. She moved at least 4 times over that period and they found her every single time. I'm pretty sure her mom was giving the Mormons her address each time though she denies it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Midjack posted:

Inkjet has its uses but most people can get away with visiting a Kinko’s when they need color.

I don't think Kinko's exists anymore...

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I sold a pretty nice Subaru WRX wagon on CL last summer and it went more smoothly than I ever could have hoped for. I expected a bunch of scam replies, lovely trade offers, and lowballers. Instead I got exactly one response and they made a reasonable offer and I sold the car to them 2 days later.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You wanted to know my secret? I'm always Hornby.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I thought the idea with cryonics was to freeze em before they died so that they could receive whatever hypothetical treatment gets developed in the future. Does he think there's going to be a cure for death by 2067?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh I know, they won't dupe me like that again.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
It's entirely possible I was thinking more about pop sci fi stories about cryonics rather than any real world applications. All real world examples of it just sound like science fiction to me anyway so it's easy to get them confused.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

BiggerBoat posted:

Following up on this and it turns out it was my license plate that "expired" so I had to pay for a new one. Now...why? Same car, same me, same address. What exactly "expired" beyond the state needing to charge me for a new plate? Seems to me changing the plate # only complicates things. No? :shrug:

Yeah I had to do this a while back too. I think the reasoning was that plates get old and beat up and sometimes specs change with regard to reflectiveness or whatever. I would actually be fine with this if they didn't already have an opportunity to inspect the state of my plates when they force me to go in for emissions testing anyway. For states that don't have emissions testing it makes a tiny amount of sense to require new plates every once in a while.

But now I have the plate for the first car I ever owned as a keepsake so that's cool. It's still sitting in the same spot on the floor of my office as it was that day 12 years ago, halfway buried beneath a wire rack. I would never have been able to keep this valued piece of my young adulthood without the state of Washington telling me I had to replace it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
It's honestly not that big a hassle on Android either. Maybe it's because I've specifically only owned Google devices since the G1 but especially the last few phones I've had (various generations of Nexus/Pixel) you pretty much just sign into your
Google account and it asks if you want to download all your apps/contacts. Sure you then have to sign into those apps as you open them and probably setup security stuff, but it's over the last 3 or 4 phones I've owned it's never really taken more than a few minutes from boot up to functioning device. Maybe not as simple as what you described for Apple, but certainly not a difficult process.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
*You* don't have to fix them because you're not *allowed* to fix them. You still have to wait around for some genius to fix it for you and maybe pay for the privilege.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
We've got some Cutco steak knives in our drawer that I think my wife was gifted when she first moved to Oregon back in like '06 and honestly they are pretty decent. They're ugly as sin and the blade is really short for a steak knife but they definitely cut better than the Kai (cheap Kershaw/Shun brand) set I had when we first moved in together. Didn't know anything about Cutco until reading about it here in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My wife got a voicemail this morning about an unpaid invoice from HP business services. Since her company does business with HP and they frequently neglect to send invoices she gave them a call back.

"Hello, HP blah blah blah, thank you for being a loyal customer! We'd like to send you a $100 gift card as a thanks!"
"Not interested in a gift card, I just need to get this invoice situation figured out before you send us to collections AGAIN."
"Ok but ma'am this is YOUR gift card, can I please have your name?"
"Mrs. Inspector. Now about that invoice..."
"And your address so I can send you the gift card please?"
"No. I don't care about the gift card, I just want to pay the invoice."
"Your address please?"
"No."
"Yes."
"Noooooooo?"
"Yesssssss!"

Then she hung up and called the number that's actually listed on her previous quarterly email. It turns out HP did forget to send another invoice 2 weeks ago, but it's not past due so they just sent it over and she paid it. She had it on speaker so I heard the conversation and it was just kind of surreal to have this guy kind of mocking her tone of voice like that would help his scam actually succeed.