Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

My two biggest hardons are reserved for MLM's and televangelists. I don't know if the latter really even counts as "scam" since bascially it's just shameless dicks begging for money and gullible people sending it to them but it's still just false promises and I hope there's a special place in hell for people like this.

From John Oliver:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

Made worse because it's all tax free since it's a "church". poo poo really grinds my gears.

Oh plenty of televangelists are scamers. Peter Popoff comes to mind. He used mentalist tricks to convince his flock he could faith heal. He has people who have spun off of him who likely use the same tricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Sydin posted:

Popoff is still at it too, he just laid low for a couple years after the earpiece fallout before coming back with a different miracle healing scam and is once again rich as gently caress entirely off the back of fraud.

He's was pushing spring water from near Chernobyl for a little while.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I should have been clearer. He was pushing water he claimed was from a spring near Chernobyl, and among it's magical properties is that it could cure radiation sickness along with every other aliment. Because clearly it had the power of God. You could even test it and it wouldn't show any traces of radiation. Because the power of God and not from it being tap water from somewhere in the UK. I assume the UK because that's where he was running the scam, and why ship tap water?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Used car prices are up something like 14% since the start of pandemic. Some segments like trucks have gone loving batshit nuts. Used trucks are up something like 35% in cost. And that's for the stuff without cult followings.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Banks gently caress up name issues all of the time. When I was 16 I opened an account at the same bank my dad used for business. We have the same name, which lead to the payroll for his garage being taken out of my account one day. You can imagine my stress levels at 16 to find a five-figure over draft on my personal account. They fixed it and the payroll checks didn't need to be reissued but gently caress that was a stressful day.