Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Exactly where is the line on asking them to help with something? Septic tank? Burying a suspicious lumpy roll of carpet? Clay bar your truck?

I can actually answer this one as my mother grew up Mormon-but-not-in-Utah-though-still-deep-south so lots of religion around.
Even though she never actually goes to church the missionaries will still show up to help with anything needed - she lives alone so are always offering to come help.

And they arrive on time, every time and stay until it's done for anything that's needed.

If not for the ultra-creepy religious angle they'd be pretty good guys and will generally leave you alone once you say you have zero interest in religion. As is, most of the missionaries themselves are just doing their time before getting free college they otherwise couldn't afford because they're from a poor family. Though I'm sure it's different the closer you get to Utah.

I know the prompt post was in joke but besides being annoying and pushing a crazy cult filled with horrible predatory leadership they're still helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

peanut posted:

I never heard about free college. Missionaries probably get re-applicant fees waived at LDS institutions.
They pay for their own missions... right? Is there a subsidy for unrich families?

LDS colleges/BYU offer a bunch of scholarships and financial assistant to low-income missionaries.

And for the missions themselves low-income missionaries are usually housed and subsisted by local churches and families.

E: All of this is second-hand from the missionaries who came to help.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 26, 2018