Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Aren't those things just scams to get people's personal data to sell to marketers and stuff?
I really don't think you can call it a scam when they actually send people stuff, although in the OP's case they did not send what was promised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

peanut posted:

Lol it's not a pyramid, it's a funnel! You're on the brim and need to recruit new team members to make the funnel deeper!
You see the funnels go into boats. You are a Captain and need crew to push your boat. Once you fill enough boats, you become an Admiral and your cut of the Booty goes up!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's a long read but it comes down to "spam fake locations in maps for your business, drown out real businesses. Google half-heartedly hopes volunteers will police this"
Google is just a small, scrappy startup and can't afford to pay even rock-bottom mechanical turk rates for a core part of their business.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

BigDave posted:

Anyone run into WorldVentures yet? Just had a coworker try to get me to sign up for it. $119 signup fee and $15 a month for the opprotunity to stay in cheap hotels and timeshare cruses? Sign me up! :suicide:

https://web.archive.org/web/2013082...res-leader.html

https://whywaittoseetheworld.com/worldventures-this-is-not-the-way-to-travel-the-world/

http://vacationsooner.com/video/dreamtrips_gold_platinum_rep/english

Best I can tell, it's basically Primerica for vacations.
Yep, friend got honked by these clowns. They got recruited through 'Dream Trips' which is part of World Ventures. They're paying $50 a month but they're earning Dream Points and at the end of the year they can cash them out for a Dream Trip. If they can just recruit four people under them they'll get their membership fee waived! They also sell a $200 electronic thingy that can act like eight credit cards, thus saving you wallet space.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

peanut posted:

wow so convenience
Just remembered the name of it, they're selling "flye cards".

https://www.flye.com

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Snowdog79 posted:

Here's one I've been wondering about for a while.

I travel a lot for work, and often find myself eating breakfast/dinner (or grabbing a drink) at the hotel restaurant. When the bill comes, you have two options:

1. Put down a credit card/cash for your waiter to pick up (then bring back the receipt or change so you can leave a tip). Exactly the same as you would at a typical restaurant.

2. Just pick up the pen and write your room number/name, along with the tip--and then walk out the door.

How is this not abused constantly by people who aren't staying in the hotel? It would be one thing if you had to show your room key to come in or be seated, but I've never been asked to.

What's to stop someone from walking in, having dinner and drinks, then signing a fake name & room number and walking out the door?
What's stopping someone from doing a dine and dash at any restaurant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Highbrow Slick posted:

I'm trying to picture what would happen if I called the police and asked them to send their best locksmith because I locked my keys inside the car.
If you're white, cops are also locksmiths. My mom locked her keys in her car and waved down a passing cop. He pulled out his slim jim and wedges and opened her car for her.