Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

Whats the scam behind people calling you telling you that you qualify for student loan forgiveness? Saying that because of some shady poo poo navient did I can get my loans forgiven. I have private loans with them so I highly doubt this is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

If I ever have to poop through a bag I'd rather just die. Sadly though being t1 diabetic something like that is probably coming my way when I'm old.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

I should probably add a caveat to that. If I'm 70 and all of a sudden get cancer or some other terrible disease. I'm just gonna go out with a bang or blazed out of my mind. Not worth the awfulness that comes with trying to fix that.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

greazeball posted:

What kind of job can still be competently done by a 100-year-old? Academia? I've got lots of teaching colleagues who are noticeably losing a step in their 70s.

Public office in the United States(or so the government thinks)

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

I've gotten a lot more calls rcently and it's really irritating. The att call blocker is not catching them and it used to. I assume it's a scam when they say "press 2 to be put on our do not call list"

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

And then they get to deal with me telling them vial wretched things to them. Or talking really quiet in my phone then blasting it with a super loud noise. Or spamming the buttons on my phone. I am very petty.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

I mean if the person hit that number why waste the call? At that point you know their not a sucker to actually fall for your deal or w/e you're selling.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Random phone numbers from new jersey keep leaving me that exact voice mail, often multiple times a day. It's aggravating. Don't even say who they are just 10 seconds of "or press a number to be placed on our do not call list!"

And people wonder why I despise phones.

The last one I had was about a new medicine for chronic pain and back issues. "Uhh I'm 32 and in perfect health besides diabetes."

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

Midjack posted:

I think you can still get in trouble if you threaten the person who called or describe criminal activity but if you're just describing what you did Friday night, rock on forever!

I haven't said anything violent cause I'm a baby and think if I said I would fire bomb their call center I'd get cops at my door a few hours later.

Regarding increased call volume I heard over the radio we are up to 25% of calls being spam this year and next year it's expected to rise to 50% of calls. No idea on the source of the stat they got it from but it seems right. Definitely getting more calls this year then last.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

Canada is $50 max for credit cards, same as US.

FCAC stopped accepting the argument from banks that Chip+PIN transaction were inherently nonfradulent, but that took awhile, and you can still be liable if they argue that your PIN is crappy (i.e. 1234)

You should be liable if your pin is 1234.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

ponzicar posted:

They shouldn't allow the PINs to be set to anything that meets their criteria of a bad PIN.

Going by my experience with trying to enforce password requirements. Someone would likely bitch at the major cc if they implemented this. People are stupid as hell and you can't fix stupid.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

JnnyThndrs posted:

Not trying to sound all crazy and paranoid, but I’m absolutely sure there’s tons of massive CC data breaches constantly and they’re covered up.

I got a BofA Visa for the sole purpose of using to cover inadvertent overdrafts on my checking account, this card never was inserted into a machine, never used anywhere for anything except internally at BofA to cover an overdraft. I get a bill one month for a bunch of fraudulent poo poo on the other side of the country.

How could this happen except through a BofA security breach? Yet one was never announced. I got all the charges removed easily enough, but nobody ever explained how it could have happened.

You ever type the numbers online or on your computer? Could be a computer compromise if so.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

I should probably use a credit and pay it off each month instead of debit but I don't trust myself to not go over. So I throw 90 onto a checking account each week and use that for my weekly spending. I also have credit debt I am paying down as well on some other cards and a consolidation of credit card debt with lower interest rate. I have a credit score near 800 fwiw but it really means jack because I have little to no extra income after bills and regular spendatures.

I think people who use credit cards and pay them off each week are probably making decent income and have a bit of extra money left over in their budget each month.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

The best part of carrying plastic is so you can tell people who beg for money you don't carry cash and not feel bad.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

Ohyesitsme posted:

The other concern is the amount of available credit you have - between my cards I have close to £250k in available credit, which I rarely use except as I described above.
Should I shut down a few of the cards, and just keep a couple of the bigger limit ones for emergencies? One Visa and one MasterCard, maybe?

Keep them open and when you're about to die max them out and live like a king and flip off the companies as you die.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

Jayne Doe posted:

I did this the other day and they started explaining how to use Venmo.

Lmao. Haven't had that happen yet.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

This film is not yet rated. A movie about how the ratings system works for movies (it's a scam. South Park the movie had to have a ton of stuff cut, then when Matt and trey Parker got famous team America had very little cut).

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

And that is why I tell them I got no cash and move on. Too risky.

Anyone getting hammered with signa blue cross offers? I get like 2-3 a day and some bypass my block.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

Holy gently caress this was good. I lost it when he started talking about an actual ship bringing him the card and the route it would take. Hahahahah

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

Word of advice? Trust no one and be cynical until the person proves otherwise.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

Hopefully he got some street smarts from this interaction because he comes off as a shut in computer nerd who apparently avoided the cynical part of the internet as well.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

A good scam imo.

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

baquerd posted:

Taking advantage of people who are, perhaps, predisposed to racism based on political alignment but who are obviously willing to see past that? What do you see as the positive outcome here? Because I see this as likely to create more racists.

If they become racist after that then they clearly were racist all along and just looked for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 5, 2010

gaj70 posted:

That doesn't make any sense. The word "become" implies a change in state

And the dictionaries agree:

become verb
be·​come | \bi-ˈkəm,
bē-\
became\ bi-​ˈkām ,
bē-​ \; become; becoming
Definition of become

intransitive verb

1a : to come into existence

b : to come to be become sick They both became teachers.

2 : to undergo change or development The pain was becoming more intense.

🤓