Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Maybe he runs away with the gas and you get stiffed with paying? Wierd one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

People appear to be willing to work surprisingly hard for easy money.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

British comedian Dave Gorman did a whole bit on the happy watch face thing in his "Modern life is goodish" show, its pretty good if you can find it somewhere.

Of special interest is how its become such a thing in watch advertising sometimes they do it for digital clock faces.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Maybe its taken the British usage. Where as far as I know magistrate is basically judge lite. Ie. Sueing a neighbour over $50 worth of damages, you go before a magistrate because gently caress wasting a judges time with that.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

My own work IT sends lots of phising emails out to staff. Other parts of work, especially risk and hr loving love to send out emails about very important things that not only come from external domains but look worse than phishing emails.

I know it's legit only by how low effort it is.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

One of my first jobs was ringing people to try and hand out lost money.

In my country if a company has money they don't own and can't find an owner for andit just sits there it amasses a punitive rate of interest to encourage them to find its owner quickly.

It usually occurs because someone died with some forgotten account and no one ever claimed it and whoops it's 30 years later and costing a fortune.

While a really fun job, ring folks up and give them money, it was very hard to get to a point I could do that. Cause it sure as hell sounds like a scam when I rang and asked them to give me information.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Basically yes, only I couldn't tell you it was a massive yacht, or massive yacht money until you proved who you were to me.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

That makes sense.

Absolute cracker of unintended consequences, imagine giving someone like Comcast the legal ability to decide what calls you were allowed to recieve.

Sorry the hospital calling about your dad didn't connect, you should have been on the premium plan.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Theres a place near me that has a really good idea that's nearly ruined by this poo poo.

A large food hall with many food trucks/pop up small food maker stand things and a single app and wait staff.

The idea is you sit down, go on their app and can order whatever combo you want from whatever food stands/trucks etc and the wait staff bring it all to your table.

If you want Bob's burgers but with the Nachos from Rockin' Randy go for it, your vegan friend wants the beans and halloumi wrap thing from Hippie Joes great everyone's happy and they have a full bar on the same app.

However they ruin it by making you order and pay for each place seperately. Like you're already a central payment processor just split that poo poo behind the scenes and let me add it all to basket and make one payment. How hard is this? How did you do all the above and not take the very last step.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

What I was told is that the ones sitting still are sitting still for a reason and you shouldn't trust them.
And always ask 'meter ok?' when getting in.

You can also, assuming you share a language, as how much to X before you get in.

You'll either get a price you can agree to ahead of time or they'll say it's meter only (usually local law depending on where you are) and watch them turn it on/see it's on.

Doesn't make you immune to them trying poo poo but it helps alot.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Perfectly formatted, apparently from the correct domain email that talks about relevant activities in a timely manner and makes a reasonable request. IT phising test.

Dear <misspelled surname>

You must resolve this issue with your payments celery. If you do not you might not get enough money in your next payments.

Payments.ru/banking/safe

Please be kind enough to click this link and fill in your personal details so we can resolve.

If you do not your manger will be informationed.

Best God bless
Sarah

Legitimate email from hr that requires immediate attention

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Yeah paranoia is justified.

Maybe Google has your back.

Maybe it's a zero day and you're about to get hosed.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

If they might be subject to consequences in the USA and care about enforcement agencies in the USA, then stop is usually a good approach.

Obviously does not apply if whoever is spamming you gives zero shits about any of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Tell me about common cons/scams: The biggest scam was getting me to read Pantaloon Pontiffs posts