Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

Those twenty dollar entries were written by him, I guarantee.

The guy I encountered at Angkor Wat trying to pull the "letter from his school" scam had pretty clearly just added a 0 to all the numbers people had written. It sure was an amazing coincidence that every single donation was a multiple of ten. He got $2 from me out of pity because he'd given me a tour of the temple before bothering with the letter. I am pretty sure he was making all the stories up but he actually went to the trouble of pointing out features that I might have otherwise missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Since everyone thinks it's clever to point this out now even though the concept has been around for ages: have there actually been any examples of people using "what is your favorite pet's name? or "what was your first car?" Facebook posts or online polls to harvest password reset questions en masse? Seems like a lot of effort considering that Facebook itself doesn't have security questions.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I thought the point of the junk mail about my car's warranty expiring was to convince me to buy a worthless extended warranty but the one I got today left me really confused. It references a 2022 Volvo C40, which is definitely not the car I own. More importantly, any 2022 car is still years away from the warranty expiring. Is the scam that they're hoping I will call them and give them enough information that they can secretly transfer my car title to some guy in Florida or are they just trying extra hard to make sure that only abject morons and confused old people actually bother taking them up on the offer?