Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Ha, it seems phone spammers can and are prosecuted-- https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/dozens-individuals-indicted-multimillion-dollar-indian-call-center-scam-targeting-us-victims. Of course, I'm sure some of the fire that was lit under FBI's rear end was the fact that they were impersonating the government, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i remember laughing when the :nsa: stuff first came to light about snooping on the internal connections that search engines had between different data centers. yahoo released a statement back then saying they were unable to protect against it because the way their systems were designed, it wasn't possible to change their links between data centers to use encrypted connections. so like, all that a spy agency would have to do is find a backwater spot where the Yahoo fiber was buried and dig it up to splice in some equipment :pseudo:

oh i remember that episode

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'm trying to see what tv channels i get, and i caught the end of a commercial (on some channel in the same tuner package as cspan, QVC esque stuff, and some bible crap) that said "Don't leave your loved ones with your debt, call now!". Now giving the benefit of the doubt that they mean stuff like funeral expenses, thats maybe ok but if that were the case id expect language closer to that. instead, it sounds like they are implying that ALL of their debt will roll over onto their family, which im pretty drat certain isn't the truth (barring pennsylvania). how is this not illegal? Am I wrong?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Midjack posted:

Is your concern that they stop providing signal to your house, or merely that you not be billed for it? You are attempting to prove the former, while making the latter more difficult for yourself.

to be fair to him, every time ive had to return equipment it had absolutely zero to do with the service, billing or otherwise. The only thing that was ever mentioned about the dvrs/routers was that we'd be charged the full price for it if it weren't returned on time, not that they'd continue the service and the charges for the service in perpetuity.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I love how 60% of people don't make a loving cent (ie buy more than they sell) and oh sure definitely those guys actually WANTED it that way so they could get discount items!!!! (Which, yeah, I'm sure they exist, but really)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
alot of them also like to go "But we aren't the only option!!!", conveniently ignoring that said other options are dial up and 3mbit dsl

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I'd be slightly ok with 4g as a viable alternative if it wasn't so drat limited. 2gb of what, 25mbps? for $50 is a joke when i can get 200mbps, unlimited for $30 (though central texas is an anomaly, granted)

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 21, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
How does that work??? Massdrop for cars? Buy up an entire police auction for cheap? :v:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Slag it on site, buy new hardware, and restore from backup.

at first glance I saw 'shag' :chanpop:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
come on, that guys a hero. #justice4chuckycheesebitcoinguy

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
My friend recently told me about a situation her ex boyfriend faced: hes a small time drug dealer/user and on occasion prints out :20:s and :10:s to scam his dealer with. Apparently, when he was printing out a :20: or something from a google image search, there was an extra message from 'some government agency' (she doesn't remember which, but if it were legit obviously the secret service?) saying to cease and desist. Another print out, and it said something to the effect of "We know who you are and where you are", and on a third print out it told them the city they were in and described him, my friend and another friend of theirs. I call bullshit on it actually being the government, though, cause why the gently caress would they use the loving printer and not knock on the door especially since they'd have to send someone out to surveil the place, right?

My theory is someone connected to the wifi printer he was using for fun, and used some sort of exploit to see what was printing, saw it was money, and decided to gently caress with them by modifying what the printer spooler had or something.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

therobit posted:

Yeah holy poo poo. Addicts do some really dumb poo poo when they are chasing the dragon.

Yep. My friend broke up with the guy, thank loving god, cause he was bad loving news all the way. She said she was there for it, though, and -says- it wasn't a dream lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
At my last place they had an online portal to pay rent (complete with some dumb faux social networking thing!) that had a required fee agnostic of method used. Thing is, paying via cash or check to the main office was expressly forbidden!