Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
been getting a lot of voice mail spam the last few days.

"press two to be put on our do not call list. Be healthy and be blessed."

sounds like some fundie thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Is selling epipens a gray black market too?

Asking for a friend.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
If spammers can spoof any number can they use the numbers that businesses often have posted publicly?

Confirmation bias but I seem to be getting a lot of coincidental wrong numbers from various businesses recently.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

There's even a thread in You Look Like poo poo for help if you need help.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Does Apple not care that their giftcards are such a common medium for scams?

Is being the most legit non buttcoin laundry moneyz part of their stock valuation?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Going from a video about video game bars, they also have fairly lax liquor license laws.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Welp it finally happened I got a spam call from my own number, twice even so far

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so i notice my pixel now has a smart screener where a robo google voice says the call is being screened and then attemps to do a voice to text transcipt for "legit" calls.

havent used it much other then the one curiosity try with friends and family. the voice to text is bad btw.

e: btw, do spammer know if you let a call time out or you just swipe down and block it?

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 22, 2018

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

$2500 bucks

what the gently caress is that yellow caloric substance?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I been getting a ton of spam calls for pain treatment.

Also anyone here have a Pixel 1/2/whatever and have you been trying out their call screening service for spam? Do spammer know its a live number if you dismiss a call VS just letting it timeout or in my case using this call screener.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

One teaspoon of pure msg fed to a person is very excessive. Use extremely small amounts or bulk it with dextrin or salt so you can sprinkle it freely.

the guidelines I seen with a quick search engine try is about 1/4 tsp for a whole dish.

also maybe placeboing myself, but I think adding a tiny bit of MSG to stuff makes it taste better.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you're microflora/microbiome changes within hours of being in the US too.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i got a whole day of calls from my own number the other day.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I forgot which video essay it was, but some MLMs also do their own version of loot boxes or other cultish things like telling your spose/SO to quit their job and help you.

(the lootbox one was some zuckbook clothing MLM that gave you like one nice legging in a box full of ugly rear end leggings or something)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Lularoe? You send then money, they send you whatever they feel like. Then you're stuck trying to figure out how to sell 5 medium and 20 XXS santa-themed leggings in June. They also require you to buy an insane amount of product when you join, we're talking multiple thousands of dollars for their smallest starter pack.

They're currently busy being sued into bankrupcy.

yeah it was Lularoe. Also the video essay i watched was from KnowingBetter.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is next door a real thing, i thought it was just a gimmick twitter acount with poo poo boomers say and has those two old men muppets as its avatar.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sometimes I wonder if civilization just got to where it is from a massive branch of good rng.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wasnt DeVos 's brother(inlaw??) (who's also the prez/ceo of that warcrimes PMC company) invest in Theranos ?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
goons are old now, but has any goon gotten a grandpa/grandparent scam and actually played along?

i got one but hung up at the very start.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my caller ID had IRS as the name and i picked it up, did nothing because it asked for the wrong person. only after it i remembered the 0th rule of "yo we never call you."

is there any tech solution to making spoofing numbers/IDs impossible?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so whats with spam texts being sent from email addresses ( gmail or some rando junk), sending a junk url that I assume is has some sort of malware.

is this how text spam is going to be in the future since spoofing phone numbers is getting harder(because of that shaken/stirred thing?)?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
there's a boots thread in You Look Like poo poo; supposedly the "good" goon fashion forum.

you should probabaly just go tot a physical store that does work wear, pretty sure brands have their own store fronts so you dont gamble on amazon or whatever loving you over.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Yeah it flagged legit local government calls for me as scammers.

this makes me laugh, mad and sad.

Also reminder that your local city probably has older phone base alert systems that are updated eariler/faster than birdsite or zuckbook poo poo. try to get your news directly from the source and not a gated garden of a billionaire techbro parasite.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/29/23001528/verizon-spam-texts-own-number-confirms-statement?scrolla=5eb6d68b7fedc32c19ef33b4

huh I wonder if I should worry about this, in a split second of absent mindedness, I did click the link and allow the webpage to load for a split second, but then closed everything and deleted the original message.

lol staying digitally pure and clean is hard.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

greazeball posted:

The google SEO bs

I've recently order a pizza and got one of those ghost/fake phone numbers that went to someone else instead of the actual biz, I was miffed that my order wasnt ready and had to wait another 10 min.

lock smith chat: do a local drive through tour of your local area, probably with a friend or spouse so one of you can drive and the other can pay attention to side street stuff. also maybe consider getting a pick set yourself, or a spare key to trusted neighbors.

my slightly new content: been getting a lot of spam texts saying my Paypal/Amazon account is getting closed. oh no.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

greazeball posted:

You do realise that Google search and Google maps are pretty much the same data in a different interface, yeah? As The Lone Badger said, the scammers manipulate the poo poo out of maps results too. From that article I linked earlier:

It's a high-tech war on consumers and Google is delighted with their CPM metrics so they don't do poo poo. You have to get a personal recommendation from someone or go to page 3 or 4 of the search results and know how to spot a real local business.

this is like the Paper Towns/copyright traps thing but dumber. also reminder that you should probably use a standalone GPS device.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

It's worse than advertisements.

You Tube's weird algorithms eventually lead to a bunch of really harsh, graphic and decidedly non kid friendly shows that LOOK like children's programming with Spiderman and Minecraft or whatever but are really loving dark and violent. I had to remove YT from my kid's computer and put strict controls and monitoring on the channel when he stays with me.

Some of this poo poo I saw was incredibly hosed up and gave him nightmares. I'm talking rape, animal cruelty and decapitations here.

I'm not sure what the end game for these things are supposed to be, really, but there must be a reason beyond "clicks" I would like to think.

Probably this belongs in the tech nightmares thread.

wait I thought pregnant spider-man Elsa dentistry was already patched? is this 2.0??

e : oh question sort of answered.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 23, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

greazeball posted:

I teach college courses and when I ask, it's probably less than 10% of students run an adblocker. Most common reason why is "meh" followed by "it's too complicated/I'm too lazy to figure it out". I've also heard from a number of students that you always have to allow all the cookies and trackers or the websites won't work properly.

unless they're using the scholar databases the college /college library, oh and the library itself has, not having a adblock and some other stuff is going to make their web searches poo poo.

also lol at people needing their internet dopamine hit.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at horny dudes being dumb as gently caress and willing to pay.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol if scammers have to invent their own MFA/Identity Friend or Foe to make sure they dont call their own peeps.

there's a non zero chance they call the pal in the desk next to them and they still do the IFF process even though they hear the audio echo next tot them.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol american culture sucks poo poo, like even parents that dont do Reverse Mortgages just hope or plan to flip their house for retirement.

so kids dont even get a inheritance or generational wealth isnt built. just barking "we're profamily" but not doing things that are profamily "

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I always find it deeply ironic that crime orgs re invent bureaucratic structures .

some npr program had a bit about romance fishing, and the "retention dept"/ crime peeps trying to keep a person(this was a woman that turned into a scam buster herself) on the hook, like trying to spin a new story about why they cant meet or a new reason/coincidental tragedy why they need money. (oh no my son got sick please give me $X).

there's a non zero chance some of these romfishers use plots from trashy rom books as ideas.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the wire is still on my watch list backlog so i have no greater context of the clip I just looked up.

but the leader seems smart and right so Im not sure if the meta politics in episode or season was right or wrong. good product is good fundamentals.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Impermanent posted:

That's amazing but: is there any evidence that real phishing attempts are ever that intricate?

the buttcoin thread has had some dumbasses getting usb chargers that they remember ordering and then using.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going from a recent John Oliver episode, messing with them might be harmful as its likely its just some sort of passport hostage whose job is to be the phone banks/call center.

tbh its either best to just ignore them completely so their criminal org managers dont give them a talk.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
other than landlords(oh and gov stuff?), is there any legit place would ask you to use a check?

also weird how checks are still a scam vector, like why? shouldnt that be fixed/patched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
going from a King of the Hill episode, seems like the teller would first try to sandbag lightly, but then just empty out the account? (but not actually over draft it into the one million/ thousands)

I assume today you would be overdrafted into hell/one million.