Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

impulse 7 effect posted:

It's been highlighted before by previous posters that there is a useful sift for gullible/vulnerable people in just how poorly the initial approach is put together.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/publication/why-do-nigerian-scammers-say-they-are-from-nigeria/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Got a call from a hidden number, so I sent it to voicemail. A message was left and I was curious.

It was a full minute of ringing tone (the boops you hear when you're calling someone and their phone is ringing). No-one ever picked it up. :tinfoil:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
This is one of the ways in which printers and scanners etc. detect that it's money: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
For years now, paypal mails me every month telling me the overview of recent transactions is ready for me. Seems pretty shady because I get these even when I haven't used paypal in months.

As far as I can tell, they're legitimate e-mails from paypal, but there's no way to turn them off in the settings screen. I'm confused what their purpose even is. Just to remind me I have an account with them?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Or when you donate your remains to medical research after you die, but they get sold for profit or used to test weapons.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49198405

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Space Gopher posted:

"Big ER Docs will just kill you for your organs if you're a donor" is an idiotic myth.

I've heard "But even though you're dead and unconscious, your body will still register pain when the organs are removed! It can be seen on the hospital brainwave device!"

I think a lot of people are uncomfortable with the idea of being an organ donor and make up all sorts of weird arguments to further justify their choice. But not being comfortable with the idea is enough, it's your body.

I am planning to donate some of my body to medical research when I'm gone, but I meticulously researched the org I'm donating to. The only thing I'm not happy with is that it's not possible to be both an organ donor, and a donor to medical science. I had to choose one.

Many organ donations are cancelled at the last minute by the next of kin. I'd hate for my final wish to be obstructed like that, when I'm in no position to protest the decision.

You should definitely consider donating your organs.