Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
There's still a bunch of sites where you can sell marketing data for pennies fill out surveys and cash in points for crap, although most of them have checks for random answering now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Thanatosian posted:

I would love to hear an alternative that you could actually find housing from.
Padmapper is good - it scrapes several sites and displays the results on a map so you can see where poo poo is.

The only time Craigslist's ever come up in a housing search is when a place I was already looking at had a listing there(so I knew they were still available).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

DizzyBum posted:

:stare: Yeah, uhh, sounds like you fell for more than one there.
I'm trying to figure out which one is the scam he thought he fell for. The "attractive girls/taxi drivers/etc hustling you into a bar with insanely expensive drinks" thing is a well known travel scam, buying electronics off random dudes in the street is just dumb, and so is giving money to talkative weirdos to make them go away. Although that last one is less 'scam' and more 'panhandlers taking advantage of people who don't want to be rude or make a scene'.

Maybe a basic test of street smarts should be required before getting a passport. (:goonsay:, hindsight, etc)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Old Binsby posted:

I couldn't really sympathize with earlier posts about cold calls for sales/scams/pyramid schemes until people mentioned getting them multiple times per day :aaa: Yeah, then it makes sense to stop answering all calls because wtf
Even if you only get one a week or so, how often is an unknown-to-you number going to be anything important? If it actually is important, they'll leave a message.

Sometimes I swear these threads get posts from a bizarro dimension where random people knock on your door to give you good things, 90% of people who approach you on the street aren't trying to get your money, and you make friends by answering mystery phone calls. At least that's the only way I can explain the occassional "lol what kind of antisocial goon doesn't open the door for randos/answer unknown numbers/engage with everyone on the street" posts.

Old Binsby posted:

Still think it's weird how regional the phenomenon is though, my phone has a SIM of my own and one from the office. The office one gets filled out to a lot of companies, a lot of people have it and it rotated between several different people before I got it but I get actual Phone Calls so rarely that I usually don't even recognize the ring tone the first few seconds (everyone IMs/VoIPs through various services). I figured maybe do-not-call registries worked really well because of ~~EU regulations~~ or something but the UK has them as well? The lovely TrueCaller dialer that came preinstalled on my android phone is starting to make sense now
I'm from America and number spoofing is loving rampant here. It's basically impossible to get it properly shut down because the telemarketers/scammers just move on to a new spoofed number.

The only silver lining is that if you have a cell phone & moved away from its original area code, it's hilariously easy to spot spoofed calls since most of them will be from that area code. I'll get 3-5 calls per week I can instantly ignore since they're from the bumfuck Wisconsin area code I haven't lived in for years.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Why not just make it something subsidized through regular old taxes? It seems like they're making way more work(and spending more money) with the TV fees than if the funding just came through income tax.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pilsner posted:

Just think for two minutes about MLM's selling juice, berries, pills or whatever, and it makes no sense. If a company made a product so great, why would they farm out the distribution, sales and profits to random people, instead of just selling it themselves? That's why the products are always overpriced bullshit.
I'm guessing it's like spam emails with terrible spelling & grammar - they want to filter out the people smart enough to realize something fishy's going on before they're in deep enough to become a problem. In MLMs that leads to selling overpriced bullshit instead of something people might actually want.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Dr.Caligari posted:

I just went threw buying a car and the whole process is a scam you have to watch carefully. I found a car I liked and they worked up some numbers, and they looked acceptable until I looked at the numbers... theys were trying to saddle me with an 84 month loan @ something like 7.7% interest, and I have stellar credit. told them to get hosed and I started to put my coat on. They said "Well, just wait a minute" . The guy left and came back and said "Oh, he made an error and the interest is actually 3.2%" . Then they did the whole "I've never seen my manager lower a car by so much... your are getting a steal!!!" (Which I've heard multiple times in the past from numerous dealerships).

Buying a car loving sucks and anyone planning to do so needs to know the prices of what the car they are looking at is selling for locally , know your credit score and what type of interest rate is acceptable to you and make sure it's a fixed rate. Also be prepared to be a dick because a lot all car dealerships will shove you around. Don't appear to be desperate to buy and don't accept the first offer they make you.
They're banking on most people having tunnel vision for their monthly payment, which is why it's gotten so common for them to play games with super-long loan terms & why it can be hard to get them to straight-up tell you the price of the car.

Then there's bullshit like this, to get you roped into looking at the payments and ignoring the full cost.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pilsner posted:

It's what I've always done, and it's also naturally better for your economy, since you aren't taking up a loan. If you must buy some more expensive car, perhaps you can borrow from your parents at 0% or low interest (and pay them back of course).
As someone who's had to 'loan' their mom money(I consider it a gift, but she insists on paying me back 100% of the time) for basic things like "a new furnace" and "groceries for the next week", I kind of hate the idea that everyone can go to the Bank of Mom and Dad for stuff like this. It's nice if you can, but a lot of people don't have that option for various reasons(poor parents, financially irresponsible parents, dead parents, estranged parents, etc).

And I know you're saying it's just for a 'more expensive car', but people have to get their first car from somewhere. You're probably not going to avoid having at least one car loan during your life, unless you get your first job in a place where you don't need a car to get around, or unless mom/dad fund it for you. Or unless you were diligent about scraping together savings from college jobs, but there's an upper limit to that unless your parents were taking care of most of your expenses. And the days where you could get a $500-$1000 shitbox and have it roadworthy are long past(unless you find an insanely good deal somewhere).

Although after that first car you can avoid a lot of hassle & financial drain by driving your cars until it's not worth it to keep fixing them, instead of switching every 3-4 years. A lot of people do that, and I have no idea why. I can't imagine going out of your way to have a car payment forever when you don't have to. :retrogames:

BiggerBoat posted:

You do realize that many people simply don't have $5,000 in cash laying around, right? Also, to your second point about getting cash for your car: yes, that's a great idea but a LOT of people NEED the car they have to get to work to pay for the car you're talking about them buying.

Meaning, if I needed to sell my car for $2500 in order to have enough cash to buy the $5000 one, there's a whole lot of logistical issues there and saying "just buy a car" is not always helpful advice.
Ideally once you've paid off Car A, you'd put money into savings to eventually buy Car B(or have a down payment for a bank loan).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Red Oktober posted:

I remember getting those, some would say send a chocolate bar, some a post card. I received one on Facebook recently:

So they’re still around, just in a slightly different form.
The funny thing is that non-scam free(aside the cost of shipping) book swap sites are a thing. Hell, some neighborhoods still have "leave a book take a book" boxes.

But none of them say they're "a bit of a book pyramid scheme, probably invented by Amazon", so why would you use them instead of this weird scheme? :downs:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

fizzymercy posted:

I work at an auto body and frame shop and I would just love to hear a single substantiated story about someone getting actually scammed at a legitimate auto shop. The thing is, everyone on earth thinks they're being suckered by their mechanic. Everyone isn't being scammed, that's stupid. Everyone thinks they're being scammed because cars are mysterious magic boxes that only break because all auto industry workers are dicks that want more money. We're not, we just took a lot of classes and also shoved our heads up the asses of so many cars we've earned your Ignorance Tax.
The key word there is "legitimate auto shop". A lot of people just go to a dealership for service or to Jiffy Lube-type places.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zwabu posted:

In the last few years it seems I hear a ton of advertising on the radio relating to great franchises to get in on the ground floor.
This alone should be an alarm bell. Normal jobs(and I include running a franchise with that) don't need to advertise themselves alongside products and services. They advertise themselves in places normal people look for jobs - company websites, recruitment agencies/websites, "now hiring" signs stuck in the window of the store, etc. Having to advertise job/franchise opportunities in a regular old radio(/tv/billboard/whatever) ad tells me the place is mismanaged & desperate for workers at best, angling to exploit them as suckers at worst.

Even if the franchises you're hearing about aren't MLMs or other scams, a lot of scummy stuff can go on in franchising(and that even applies to franchises of well-known companies). Preying on people who don't know much about running a business is a big one there. Just how common that is depends on the company and how strict they are in vetting their franchisees before letting them buy in, of course.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

article posted:

“Because we do in-home demonstrations of Kirby products as part of our work, you can imagine that this sometimes is misunderstood as door-to-door sales are not as common as they once were…
Surely this has nothing to do with door-to-door sales being a scummy business from the start. :thunk:

Thanatosian posted:

I think this is probably the same poo poo that Kirby has been doing for decades, it just doesn't fly in this day and age.
Or more accurately, each incident's more likely to get exposed to a wide audience instead of being confined to complaints in your social circle.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

I just don't understand the need for subterfuge with your own employees.
Worst case scenario: They're doing something actively illegal and want to reduce the chances of a whistleblower.

Best case scenario: lovely call center boss doesn't really care what's going on as long as the paychecks clear, and can't be assed to explain the details of the business to a revolving door of employees. Or maybe boss doesn't fully understand themselves and just does whatever the people at the top tell them to do.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
What I'm getting from this is that the less everyone uses physical cash, the better off we'll all be(except the scam artists).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I've also seen them use area codes that are nowhere near me. I've never lived in Florida, and nobody I know has either, but I've gotten robocalls with Florida area codes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Well, if people go too fast the real fix for that isn't stop signs and the road should be narrowed and have stuff built with less of a setback and street parking should be encouraged and :goonsay:.

(Still not a scam as much as a bandaid solution that's not as effective as people want it to be)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
People are really bad at understanding that the waiters don't control the entire restaurant(and that if you politely raise an actual issue with your food, it'll get fixed/comped). Much better to punish the waiter for something that's not their fault and you never brought up to them.

Or maybe the writer wants everywhere to be one of those gimmick restaurants where the waistaff treats you like poo poo on purpose?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

bird with big dick posted:

How the gently caress you activate an almond
Enter the 10 digit almond code on the box.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

tinytort posted:

Yeah, it's the only reason I haven't switched it yet. Switching it might make it easier to get jobs and interviews, though - having an out-of-province number looks a little odd when I'm sending in applications for somewhere local.
People move around enough these days that I doubt anyone will think too much of it. The concept of area codes is outdated now that phones aren't all rooted to a physical location anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, I know for the companies it's to design poo poo to break and to make all the parts proprietary, but how are they even trying to sell this to the 3/4 of the country that's broke and lives an 80 minute drive from an apple store? Safety concerns? Our tech is so sophisticated and Super next gen that no one can grasp it and some plebe might break it? Even though we pay slaves in China pennies to build this poo poo?
Bullshit. Just pure, transparent, bullshit:

https://money.howstuffworks.com/right-to-repair.htm posted:

"The main issue that automakers had with right to repair legislation is stating that it would cost too much for them to adapt their diagnostic software in order to make it accessible to third parties," Tatarevic explains. "While there is some cost in adapting this software, the likely reality is that the manufacturers are looking out for their franchised dealers and their ability to bring in customers for out-of-warranty repair work."

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/massachusetts-ballot-question-1-still-forefront-automakers-sue-to-block-its posted:

The lawsuit argues that it will impose a financial burden on auto manufacturers and threatens the privacy of car owners by exposing data from their vehicles

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Is it time for the "Goodwill is poo poo and treats the people it supposedly helps like poo poo while legally paying them less than minimum wage because labor law allows you to do that with disabled employees" reminder? Between that and Salvation Army being a fundie group that hates queer people, you owe it to yourself to research local thrift shops and find one that goes to a legit cause instead.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, people need to chill a little bit.

These MLM companies go to great lengths to combat the truthful information that's out there and really REALLY prey on the week and vulnerable. I mean..at it's core, it's quite literally a cult and uses the exact same tactics but I'm not prepared to say that anyone who ever fell into a cult was a big stupid idiot who deserved it.
Yup. MLMs encouraging people to cut out people who are 'negative' or 'unsupportive'(read: see it for what it really is) is a feature, not a bug. So are the workshops/training videos/etc they constantly pressure people into going to/buying, which reinforce the 'MLM is good, people saying the MLM is bad are TERRIBLE PEOPLE you shouldn't listen to' mindset.

This is also why dealing with someone in your life who's fallen into an MLM is basically a 'you can't do anything to stop it unless they come to their senses themselves' situation. Everyone above them is more than happy to provide scripted defenses for why you're wrong and the MLM is fine actually.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!", corncob, etc.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Sites turning into "marketplaces" universally sucks rear end. I get why they do it - more money for them without having to do any of the work of shipping product - but it sucks on the buyer's end.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I've personally basically come full circle, where I use Amazon for window shopping and then buy the actual product direct from the manufacturer. Buying anything second hand off the Internet is basically never happening again for me unless I can examine the product first.
:same: Hell, half the time I just use amazon to have another review pool to look at - actual window shopping on Amazon is a huge chore if you don't want whatever the top 2-3 things in a given search term/category are. (Bonus points if the top things are just color variations on one product or newer/older versions of the same thing)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

BiggerBoat posted:

And good lord, I can't imagine how anyone can listen to or watch anything on YouTube without an ad blocker. I can't find one for my phone or my Xbox and occasionally I try to check out something and Jesus Christ it's obnoxious. Even on my laptop, which won't load ads, it'll loving sit there trying and often hang until I hit the skip ad button. I'm also not watching an ad for a Ford f150 or coca cola to read the loving news
If you're on android, try Youtube Vanced. Blocks ads and adds a few other handy features such as continuing to play audio while not in focus or while the screen's off.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Nighthand posted:

About once or twice a year I used to get a mailer from a local used car dealer with one of those faux-lottery/slots/gambling cards, with a list of prizes you win if you match the symbols or whatever. With the value of used cars inflated I've been getting them monthly now, and it made me realize I don't really know how they work.

The mailers themselves always "win", with five print saying the symbols don't matter and the actual prize can only be checked if you bring the mailer in.

I assume, then, that it's mostly about getting people in the door to apply high pressure sales and get them to trade in their car for under value and buy a car at inflated price/interest, but is there more to it?
With a side of '99% of mailers probably don't have an actual prize attached once you have the dealership check them (or they have a prize but it's too small to be worth enduring the dealership's bullshit)'.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Midjack posted:

Anybody who knocks on your door to sell you something is scamming, or at the very least a patsy, full stop. Maybe not Girl Scouts with cookies, but anyone else treat as hostile from the start.
In general if they're coming to you, they're not planning on doing you any favors. Door to door salespeople, unsolicited calls, junk mail, it applies to almost everything.

These scams keep working because there's still some percentage of people credulous enough to assume that someone reaching out to sell them poo poo unprompted must be honest.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

SIHappiness posted:

" As a side note, it's yet another reason why you should never use your debit card as a credit card at a vendor. Always pay with a credit card anywhere, then immediately repay it from your checking account if you want to treat it as an instant-pay transaction like you would with debit. You just lose too many consumer protections with debit cards.
If you don't carry a credit card balance, you can just pay it when the statement posts too. (you don't pay interest if you pay the statement balance in full on time every time)

But yeah, there's very few good reasons to pay with a debit card instead of a credit card if you're in the US. Fewer protections, it's your own money at stake if someone steals the number(the bank is still supposed to get you your money back, but a lot of people can't afford to wait for that to happen), all the stuff just discussed with holds, etc. About the only place I'd use my debit card around here is a regional grocery chain that straight-up doesn't take credit cards to keep their prices down.

The system that expects you to have and use a credit card if you want better protections is arguably a scam in itself, but :capitalism:.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
"Did you see those sausages? I rest my case."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

wesleywillis posted:

Reverse mortgages, they seemed so scammy to me the first time I heard of them but I have no idea what the scam actually is.

Best I can come up with is, they give oldies a bunch of money for their houses, basically "buying" the house in all but title, owners keep paying the taxes, maintenance etc and when pop-pop and meemaw finally die or go to the old folks home, the "financial institution" gets the title/legal poo poo that says they own the home for rizzles, and then they sell the house for its (presumably) higher value than they paid for it.

Is that more or less it?
The basic concept of home equity loans isn't a scam(you're taking out a big loan with the house as collateral). The problem is that a lot of people straight up can't afford the houses they're in and have to use these loans to fund basic necessities, and it can end up losing them their houses as they get deeper underwater like you've said.

In other words, it's a scam in the general sense that the societal use of debt(credit cards, loans, and otherwise) to make up for wage stagnation is a scam.

quote:

What about selling your life insurance policy?
Depends on the context and type of life insurance. There's not any real point in paying for life insurance if you don't have anyone relying on your income to live(and elderly people generally don't). Stick to term life if you have dependants.

Whole life insurance is effectively a scam if you're not rich enough to need it for estate planning. Anyone who has it is likely better off cashing it out and putting the money somewhere better. And for the love of gently caress, don't bother with that Gerber plan poo poo for kids.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Mobile/desktop firefox with ublock will also block youtube ads. There's really no reason to put up with them these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Being a rich failchild probably helps there:
https://twitter.com/leylaaa31/status/1758324417434648936