Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

I got a Google Hangouts (which I don't really use) message supposedly from a doctor, claiming he's upset I left him a bad review online. He said perhaps I went to his office while he was out of town and a different doctor was covering for him. He'd like to discuss this privately with me, as the bad review could hurt his business.

Naturally I've never heard of this guy, or ever reviewed a doctor online. I'm just curious what the angle is here - just see who’s stupid enough to reply at all? What kind of hook is “Huh? I have no idea who you are or what you're talking about.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Midjack posted:

Or someone with the same name as you did. Many people run with the first name that shows up in search results.

Huh, that didn't even occur to me because my name is pretty unusual. It just screamed "weird scam" to me.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

LMAO WTF, just go to loving Goodwill and/or Salvation Army or something, Christ-amighty.

This is one of the things that baffles me about MLMs. They're always peddling makeup or kitchen gadgets or other stuff you can easily buy for cheap at, oh I don't know, loving anywhere. I get that selling the products to consumers is not where the money actually comes from, but still.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

There are a ton of scams like that where they prey on people's ignorance and charge a fee for something that's free if you deal with official channels directly.

When I went back to school and did my FAFSA application online, there were a couple of legit looking websites that would have you fill it out, but then ask for $50 or so for them to send it along for you.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011

Yeah, obsessive Jeep guys are definitely a thing, especially with models they dont make anymore. At one point when I was growing up, the family car was an old Jeep Wagoneer and I remember dudes offering to buy it from my dad fairly often. Even when it got to be in terrible shape he had no trouble selling it.