Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
RE: Music Talk

Any smaller acts that I am currently in to, I'll pick up their stuff on Bandcamp. I think they get like 90-85% of the sales from those purchases. Most of the stuff I listen to on Spotify, I already bought these CDs over the last 20 years, so they already got my cash up front. Hell, most of the tunes I have ripped and stored on a HD somewhere, it's just more convenient this way.

I picked up a CD at Target (like, physically picked up, not purchased because lol) and it just felt weird at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Maybe you folks can help.

On my way to my office, I stopped into a Shell station in question to purchase a chicken sandwich and a soda for a coworker around 09:56.  The total was 3.88 (or 3.98, I forget precisely).

I attempt to insert my card into the pin-pad, and am told it is not working.  The attendant says he can swipe it for me at the register.  

He swiped my card, then flips it over and is looking at it, commenting that the magnet strip is worn and it may not work.  I found this peculiar since he had already swiped my card.  
He then said "everything went through, have a good one" and I left.

On my way to my office, I started feeling very unsettled by him staring at the back of my card where the CV2 number is located.  As soon as I arrived at my office I checked my statement and sure enough the charge was for 11.21.

I attempted to call the station using the number listed as their contact, but it rang to voicemail. 

I contacted my bank, and they stated they could reverse the charge when it poated, but they also recommended me cancelling my card based on how he may have copied the CV2.  Which I did.

On my lunch, I left my office and went to my bank to get a new card.  On the way back, I decided to see if it was possible that this was a system error by checking exactly what I was billed for. 
(Note: I don't believe this is possible, since the difference between the amount I was told and the amount charged is not a flat amount or a multiplication thereof.)

I asked the clerk for a copy of my purchase receipt.  He said sure, and fiddled with the register for a bit.  Then he asked me if there was a problem.  I said I just wanted the receipt.  This went back and forth a few times before he told me it was impossible to reproduce a receipt (even after I cited that the Shell site says specifically the opposite).

He continued to ask me what the problem was, and I told him he knew he overcharged me and I wanted to see what he had billed me for.  I asked to speak with his manager, and he told me he was the manager.  I then asked to speak with his boss.  He provided me a phone number for a "Bobby" and said that was his manager.

I called Bobby and it went straight to voicemail.  He did not call me back.

I called him again later in the evening, and he said he wanted to speak to the gas station and call me back.  He left me a voicemail, simply stating he was returning my call.  I have not yet made another attempt to contact him, since I have no idea who "Bobby" actually is.

Reviews online all point to this being a frequent situation, which concerns me greatly.  Shell customer service says it's independently operated so there isn't anything they can do, and it sounds like "Bobby" is hip to what is going on. Is there anything I can do to stop them from getting away with this?

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Zereth posted:

What evidence do you have that "Bobby" is the actual boss? Because it sounds like you don't have any.

I don't. I simply stated that was my feeling. If he is, he didn't seem very interested in helping me.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
My bank got kind of indignant with me today when I filed the dispute. Like 11.21 was so trivial. The amount isn't the point.

They didn't seem to care very much.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Doctor Acula will make sure you don't die in the first place.

I make no promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Cremation, don't posion the earth further, the worms can't eat you, you're pumped full of toxins to keep your corpse around as long as possible.

Embalming isn't mandatory.

I've been putting off looking into Tibetan sky burial.

The entire funeral industry is a scam. It's like Used Cars but with grandma's body.