Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BiggerBoat posted:

Frank Costello I think.
I read this as Frank Costanza at first and went "yeah, I bet he would end up in a scheme like that. Or maybe Uncle Leo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tunicate posted:

Yeah at least my cable company will just raise rates without twlling you, 'forget' about agreed on prices, not deliver their claimed speeds, and advertise prices that don't include arbitrary amounts of fees.

And pays off the local government to shut down municipal internet projects, to ensure their monopoly status.

Are you also in North Carolina? Or is that bullshit widespread?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

quote:

the bullshit has spread
:smith:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BiggerBoat posted:

When I have the time, I enjoy loving with them back and wasting their time by pretending to play along. Or at least to since nowadays I don't answer if I don't recognize the number. I took great satisfaction in pissing them off and wasting their time.

For a bit there, when I got scams through the USPS that had SASE's, I'd take the contents from each and stuff them into the other unrelated envelopes.

I do that with political fliers and surveys. I know that Americans For the Best of America want stuff from American Families For America.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

luxury handset posted:

at one of my last restaurant jobs the owner was trying to convince everyone that his plan to shift to a prepaid debit card system to handle payroll was cool and good

the cards had a weekly maintenance fee of 4.95, only permitted like three free withdrawls a month, and could only be used without additional fees at a handful of some weird atm network terminals, the nearest of which to the restaurant was three miles away

the younger employees didn't know any better but the adult front house staff and the entire mexican kitchen staff threatened to quit en masse if this plan was implemented and the owner backed down. like yeah i realize ADP charges you a lot more to handle big boy payroll and cut paychecks like a big boy company but partnering with some startup bullshit to save your own personal time and money at the expense of your employees is a terribly dumb assed decision

CRST had something similar when I worked there, with a not-real-debit card and having to transfer money to another card and only 1 free transaction a week. The best part was I could set up a transfer to my bank bit only for pay that came after my first pay period, the first could only be cashed out with an ATM or at a truck stop deisel desk.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Captain Monkey posted:

There are also.programs that can text, based on the same number as the ones that call. They just share/sell number lists.

Wait until you start hearing from JR and being offered fast cash, 5000$ imediatly

Do they really need to use a list instead of just spam texting all numbers 420-69X-XXXX?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

stringball posted:

Is a chain/franchise going to be more or less likely to scam than a local guy? I have 4-5 chains I could probably push my car to by my apartment (unrelated, why is this a common business thing? You can see the others they're so close if you were at one location, and two auto part stores across the street from each other) but always drive 30 minutes for someone my dad/family has trusted for years
For the bolded bit, it could be zoning laws and noise regulations, it could be cheap land for the auto parts stores that attract mechanics shops. It happens all the time, think of the areas with 5 car dealerships all in a row.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you can't trust an email that openly admits it's spam, what can you trust?

[[SPAM]] $$ Big Sale On Hormel Products $$ [[DINTY MOORE]]

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

EL BROMANCE posted:

drat, that is a pretty good doctor then!

Doctor Acula will make sure you don't die in the first place.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I steal my jokes from the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lutha Mahtin posted:

trader joes grocery store changes the alert sound around the time of holidays. for thanksgiving it's a turkey gobble sound. it's amusing... the first time you hear it

Lowes Foods near me does that as well, and as a customer it's cute.

I couldn't imagine being a cashier having to listen to that all shift long. It's bad enough listening to the endless loop of Christmas music which starts early November.