Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drive me nuts to school
Jun 7, 2011

mostlygray posted:

Had a weird one the other day. A couple guys in an expensive SUV were pulled of on a ramp with their hazards on. I stopped and the guy claimed to be a Canadian tourist who had run out of gas. He asked me for cash to buy gas. I said, "No, but I'll give you $10 bucks worth if you follow me to the gas station (about 2 miles away).

I expected him to do the usual. Curse me and tell me to gently caress off, but instead, he said "OK" and followed me. I had him pull up to the pump and I asked, "If I have you turn your key to the on position, it'll be on E right?" He did and it was. I bought him $10 worth and he said "Thank you very much" and took off.

Is the whole scam to get a small amount of gas for free? I checked the ramp half an hour later and he didn't go back to that spot. I can't figure out how it's not a scam, but I wanted to see how it played out. He didn't lift my wallet. He didn't try to roll me. He didn't offer to pay me back with a postdated check for twice the amount. He didn't try to get me to take cash out of an ATM.

If the scam is just to get small amounts of gas for free, good for him I guess.

If he's out of gas how did he follow you to the gas station in his SUV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drive me nuts to school
Jun 7, 2011

I got a voicemail from a man with an American accent who didn't identify himself. He stated the call went straight to voicemail (it did!) and that he was going to send out two letters to the house. There would be reference numbers in the upper-left corner ending in "your last name". He then followed up saying "I want to send this via FedEx or UPS but that will obviously cost $15. I'll give you my direct number, I plan on being in the office all day, so please call me back."

Googling the number he gives reveals that everyone receives this exact script. What's the angle? Call back and they find out your number is real? Or they try and mine you for identity info?

drive me nuts to school
Jun 7, 2011

Ohyesitsme posted:

I have 7 CCs, normally pay them off in full each month but will sometimes hold a balance for a couple of months (nothing huge) and just suck up paying the interest, each card in rotation - it keeps my credit score high because banks don't want to lend to people they won't make money from.

This is strictly false. You never need to carry a balance.

drive me nuts to school
Jun 7, 2011

MightyJoe36 posted:

I had something like this once from some police organization (FOP? I can't remember) who wanted me to donate money.

Me: No thanks.
Him: Well, all of your neighbors have given us generous donations.
Me: Really? Like who?
Him: I'm sorry, the list of our donors is confidential.
Me: *click*

Ah yes, because the charity I want to donate to is the one that tries to guilt me into giving money

drive me nuts to school
Jun 7, 2011

Also see CarMax and Carvana. They do a little of the fee thing, but it's not significant and you don't have to do any negotiation.

drive me nuts to school
Jun 7, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I hadn't thought about it but MLM's have really made out during Covid 19 and it makes prefect sense

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7eb34/mlm-arbonne-coronavirus-recruitment

Definitely dropped a few friends on Facebook seeing them try to prey on recently unemployed folks. Absolute scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drive me nuts to school
Jun 7, 2011

Cage Kicker posted:

Yes, because no matter how obvious a scam it is, people are absolved of personal responsibility for making good decisions because ??????

I forgot I was posting on Something Compassionate...

Sometimes people don't understand things. I had a guy about a decade ago try to send money via Western Union for a job scan (paying for "training materials"). I didn't send it, but he came back later and thanked me because he figured out out was a scam.

Just because YOU think it's obvious doesn't mean EVERYONE does. Have some empathy.