Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

TheKennedys posted:

Just worked at a Chinese restaurant for a year and a half, can confirm. Everything has "corn sauce" or "wok seasoning" which is very specifically not labeled MSG

If they use said "wok seasoning" would they be able to call their restaurant MSG free technically? I only ask because the closest take out Chinese place to my house now plasters MSG free all over their stuff, and I can only think "That must be the most disappointing take out...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

iajanus posted:

From previous comments on this forum, apparently Americans still love their cheques.

I've worked a variety of retail, and it's mostly only older Americans that still regularly use checks, barring a few outlying circumstances. My dad, for instance, keeps his checkbook around only because he lives like...sticks adjacent, and some of the companies he uses for home maintenance only take cash or check.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

is next door a real thing, i thought it was just a gimmick twitter acount with poo poo boomers say and has those two old men muppets as its avatar.

It's Facebook but for specific neighborhoods. And you get to people watch absolute morons. There are continually old people on the one for my majority black neighborhood going essentially "I SAW A BLACK PERSON WALKING DOWN THE STREET DO YOU THINK THEY WERE CASING THE NEIGHBORHOOD?"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm perplexed by this. Isn't Nextdoor, as was said, an online thing like FB but for your neighborhood? Why would they be sending physical snail mail? What did the mail say? Was it addressed to you, or just "current resident"?

I've never used it or even seen it, just going on what I learn from these forums.

You can get them to send out up to 10 post cards to addresses in your neighborhood who aren't signed up, and get more for each address that signs up after they send them. It's to get more people on board, but pretty much only the nosy pearl clutching ones are the ones who use it. The ones just there to digitally people watch usually don't bother.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

I briefly sold Cutco knives during a summer in college. This matches my experience. At the start of the three-day training period they told us that we'd see fewer people come back in the room every day, or even after breaks. That was because their family members were holding them back and telling them it wasn't right. But you folks who stay are rockstars and you're going to make it big.

I barely lasted a week at that "job" but it was excruciatingly miserable. The prime directive was to hit up as many family members and friends as you could, as fast as you could, so that you could press them for money before you burned out.

That was me. I got suckered into the initial meetings, and found it especially hilarious because we actually owned a set of Cutco knives (they had been an anniversary gift to my partner's parents at one time), and they are....well, they're not entirely lovely, but are absolutely not worth the price. You can get far, far better knives for similar or less. They also seemed personally offended when I told them I knew basically no one who fit their criteria for good sales targets (married, own their own home, and over 30. If they didn't fit all three, they were basically garbage!).

I went outside for "a smoke" during one of the breaks, called my partner's mom for a ride home, and walked down the road to buy a milkshake at McDonald's while I waited.

ETA:

Zamujasa posted:

This reminds me that my sister just about went down this exact same path, complete with "it's just for practice".

I think there was also Avon or something? All I remember about that was helping out someone in the family sticking order forms to hundreds of doors. I was too young to know what an MLM was but even back then something felt really shady about having all those boxes at home.

Avon is one of the OG MLMs. I'm not going to defend them, really, but in my experience with a ton of "Avon ladies" they are waaaaay more laid back than the really, really predatory MLMs. It's still shady, and it's still not great, but the vast majority of people selling Avon that I came across were mostly doing it for...fun and to get out and have make up parties. Mary Kay is the seriously predatory make up MLM.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 6, 2021

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Cutco knives are decidedly okay. We had a set for years, that my partner's parents had gotten as a wedding gift, and they held up for a long time. However, for the price point they sell at? That's why they just get the 'okay'. You can get far better knives for much better prices.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Prosperity gospel is one of the most successful scams going, really.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

We got burnt recently. A friend recommended us to a mechanic family member. He'd been as far as we could tell great. And then tried ripping us off for a considerable amount. It makes us wonder about other stuff he'd done in the past.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I spent a few months unable to use IMs on AOL (this was....a while ago), because Norton was just entirely, silently blocking the function for ??? reasons.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The wiki article is a decent enough short summary of the whole situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsagate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ACP is through the same federal program as Lifeline for phones. It's not a scam, but not everyone gets full coverage. I get a $30 credit toward my internet bill through it, with Comcast.