Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Houston is covered in stripper clothes/head shop combos. They're always shady as gently caress and I love 'em.

In ranching scam news, the easiest scam is actually to sell less than perfect cows on market in a group deal. Say you go to auction: you take 35 head of cattle, 5 of whom are not worth money on the market due to genetic defect. Then claim there's only 30 head in the bunch, and get some money for the 5 genetically inferior cows. The buyer takes the hit, but still claims the inferior cows on their insurance and collects when they suddenly die of some mysterious gunshot wound/broken leg/animal attack. It's weirdly common (and sad and disgusting) in the high-end beef market. Insurance companies rarely call foul on these claims, I guess cause it's not worth the work to call it out. That's a lot of cows at the end of the day.

e: also so many barns are a hay fire away from a payout it's not even funny. My grandfather always jokes he's gonna take up smoking near the barn again just for the payout.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Office Space was a documentary, apparently.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

I worked at an upscale hotel for a long while as a cook and bartender and we did the "sign your room # and tip" billing. If someone tried to game the system, it was pretty easy to spot because we knew all of hotel guests personally, or at the very least had a list of names and room numbers at the POS computer. If something didn't line up, we were taught to politely ignore it and move on. It's not worth loving the name of the hotel and it's management group by causing a scene over something that can be accounted later. We would also allow guests to dispute charges without an argument.

Incidentally, I saw that sort of scam happen once a week or so but I never saw anyone catch poo poo for it. Hotel bars and restaurants run on much different margins than regular eateries. Easier to just let the weirdo that wanted a free brunch walk.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 25, 2017

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

I buy and refurb cars regularly as a hobby and Pilsner is right, only private sales. Maybe a creepy used car lot that used to be a gas station is cool if you're savvy. The big secret: If they won't let you drive the car off to get it checked by a real mechanic, then you don't want that loving car. This includes going to a normal dealership.

Pro car lots aren't always an outright scam, but they're always overcharging you and you are never going to come out the hero who scammed the scammer. Ever. That's what fake rear end fees that you legally can not avoid are for.

You wanna buy a car for it's actual cash value? Make friends with a mechanic. They know what's up.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

You shouldn't have to go through the car lot's financial dept to buy a car. You can go to the bank and get a loan for the amount you're looking to spend. You 100% should not go to the lot and ask for financing. That's gonna get you an interest rate that would give Trump a nosebleed. If a bank loan isn't an option, you're probably looking at a cash car, because credit is a thing and not everyone can get it.

I turn over cars and bikes so I have the cash to hand out. I have no idea how to buy a vehicle without cash or credit worthiness, but I assume it involves a shitton of riding the bus?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

I work at an auto body and frame shop and I would just love to hear a single substantiated story about someone getting actually scammed at a legitimate auto shop. The thing is, everyone on earth thinks they're being suckered by their mechanic. Everyone isn't being scammed, that's stupid. Everyone thinks they're being scammed because cars are mysterious magic boxes that only break because all auto industry workers are dicks that want more money. We're not, we just took a lot of classes and also shoved our heads up the asses of so many cars we've earned your Ignorance Tax.

Being a mechanic is a bullshit job but goddamn I get paid so well I honestly can't imagine having to scam someone for money. shame on IGA is right, buy Audels 5th edition and feel like a genius every time you smell burnt oil. It's amazing.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I think he means starting *now*. Plus, everyone knows those hidden camera ones on news programs are totally staged for *reasons*.

Nah I kinda skimmed the original post because it's just a loose story. Anecdotes are great and all (not being a dick, I mean that) but I'd like to see actual evidence. Or hear something other than "my aunt's best friend had a leaky steering doohickey and...". I never see that poo poo in person and there's not one single chance in hell that my methhead boss wouldn't scam people if he could.

e: I do mean at a legitimate mechanic's shop. Not a dealership or a JiffyAutoQuakerlube. Those frequently scam people for everything they can, I'll admit to that. Harley-Davidson is the closest thing you can get to an MLM on two wheels too.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 7, 2018