Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Weird, I was reading this thread thinking about how I've never had a dodgy phonecall or had someone approach me in the street trying to sell or give me something, and the phone rings with a number I don't recognise. I decided to answer it, it's a text-to-speech voice saying something like "this is the HMRC (UK tax authority,) and we are investigating you for tax discrepancies under penal code yadda yadda yadda, call this number immediately." Then it stated the number to call back 3 times.

Funniest thing about this is the UK doesn't even have a penal code system, so the scammers haven't done much research. It does piss me off though, when I googled the number there were messages from various people, some who were genuinely worried HMRC were going to bust their door down, some who had called the number and got an indian guy claiming to be an officer demanding payment. I know some people are going to be falling for this and giving out their banking details or buying loving gift cards, whatever the method is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU