Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lhet posted:

This seems like a lot of work for not much profit; like less than minimum wage probably.

Sure, but you work your own hours, have unlimited growth potential, and don't have to deal with that tedious job application process. Is what I'd say. If I did that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Korgan posted:

Had some bastard ring up today claiming to be from the Australian Tax Office and that they knew I had been withholding taxes between 2010 and 2014 on purpose and they were going to sic their lawyer on me. The guy spent forever trying to convince me he was a legit agent, giving me a fake name, fake agent number, and fake case number too, insisting that if I felt he was lying I could then call the ATO and look him up. Luckily he knew the exact amount I owed and I'm sure if I hadn't gotten bored with his lovely pseudo-legalese explanation of why they were suing me they'd have explained how I could transfer the money via Western Union or something, but he was taking forever and I lost my patience and told the guy if he was from the ATO they could send me a letter, otherwise he could go gently caress himself. That was after my sister received a call not four hours earlier where apparently our mother has a criminal record and they're bringing charges against her. Been a busy day for scammers today.

Yeah, this has been a big problem in the US as well, people calling random people, saying "this is the IRS, you owe us $5000, go to Walmart and send us a pre-paid Debit card for that amount or we'll arrest you!" Sometimes they have confederates who call a few minutes later pretending to be the police. This isn't really the kind of scam a random meth head can cook up, though, you need access to phone lists and have an overseas call center available.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Earwicker posted:

No, you don't need an overseas call center, and it's trivial to get the contact info for people who could potentially be in debt by going through the garbage at an apartment complex.

True, but if you're in the US and you do that, the feds will do terrible things once they catch you. The foreign call centers can't really be stopped by the US, so they keep on trucking.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

kaschei posted:

Lawsuits by creditors of delinquents have skyrocketed and are public record. Don't need to dig through garbage to see who is in debt.

Well, this is just with the tax impersonation scam. Don't know if the Aussie version uses foreign call centers, but the US one certainly does. And they don't dig through garbage, they get lists of tens of thousands of names and numbers and call them, on the assumption that a couple of bites will make the expense worth it.